Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Back To Collecting Comics..."Blackest Night" Question

Hello everyone - I'm quite well known under the same username over on another card forum, but I haven't posted much here outside of some contest posts. I used to collect comics when I was younger and as we are all wont to do, I left the industry for a while and concentrated primarily on cards. Over the past few months, I've gotten back into collecting comics and have enjoyed the return. I stick to mainly "superhero" comics and am a huge Silver Surfer fan. I am hoping the CBJ crew here can help me with a question...

Since I've been out of the game for a while, I was looking for a good story arc to really get me back into it. I heard of the "Blackest Night" arc from DC a few years ago when it was released and have jumped back in feet first to try and get all of the issues in the run so I can read the entire story. I know it probably would have been easier and cheaper to pick up the hardbacks that collect all of the individual books under one cover, but the chase of getting the entire run has been much more fun!

Anyway - my question for the experts here is...what is the definitive "read order" list for the Blackest Night story? I found this one:

Green Lantern - Blackest Night - Reading Order - Comic Vine

I have been using this as my main "need" list and have gotten all of the issues on the list minus the Director's Cut. So I think I'm ready to start reading the story in the order this site says. But then, I find this page, which is in a different order and also says there are more books concerning the Blackest Night that aren't really part of the story, but are additions to it (Action Comics #890, Solomon Grundy #7, Titans #15 ):

Blackest Night (comic book story arc)

Which of these is correct? I picked most of these up really cheap, so I'm not concerned with cost, I just want to be sure I have all of the books for the story and read them in the correct order.

Also - if anyone has any Silver Surfer comics I might be interested in, I'm all ears! I just picked up a #1 in pretty bad shape for $24 on Comic Collectors Live and a #8 at my local shop for $6! Thanks to everyone for their help.

Comics pictures by pack9001 - Photobucket

COMICS & CARDS - FT/FS: https://picasaweb.google.com/114109491550924599575
pack9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome, I'm from Houston also actually live in the tomball/spring area. There are some really great and knowledgeable people on here. They are all really good about answering questions, indy and gibberish are the first two that come to mind. Just started back also after taking my kids to see avengers, they loved the superheroes and it got me back into it.
BCush56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCush56 View Post
Welcome, I'm from Houston also actually live in the tomball/spring area. There are some really great and knowledgeable people on here. They are all really good about answering questions, indy and gibberish are the first two that come to mind. Just started back also after taking my kids to see avengers, they loved the superheroes and it got me back into it.
Thanks, BCush. I'm in the Galleria area myself for home and work. I've dealt with Gibberish on the other site for cards and have definitely read his posts and Indy's here. I hope someone can help. Thanks for the post!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

The listing of the 79-tied in Blackest Night issues is done to match DC's official ordering as seen on their digital comics website. Therefore, in text are listed several comics they did not include in their official list but that have ties to the event
Action Comics #890 (cover reads "Blackest Night: Aftermath")
Solomon Grundy #7 (cover reads "Prelude to Blackest Night")
Titans #15 (cover reads "Prelude to Blackest Night)

Maybe hinted items but not directly effecting the arc from what I read or considered an actual part of the arc
Much like Hulk 180 is not considered Wolverines 1st app,even though it is

Old 08-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Gibberish. The only one I need now (including the 3 "extra" books) is the Titans #15.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I will see if I have one at the shop tomorrow
Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
I will see if I have one at the shop tomorrow
Great! Can you also see if you have a GL #43-A (standard cover)? The one that I have is a variant cover. I know I can still read the full run with the variant, but if I ever decided to move the entire lot, I'd like them all to be the standard covers. Thanks.