Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Default Thinking about going to the New York Comic-con

Never been to a comic-con before and was thinking about going and looking for some advice.

1) Has anyone gone before?

2) Should I go? I would be taking my wingman (my 9 year old son). Figured we would get a kick out of seeing the people in costume.

3) Is any day better than any other to go? Saturday works best with my schedule.

4) Is it hard to get the specials and what should I look for? I am not looking to pile up on a ton of stuff to re-sell, hopefully some Valiant stuff and other odds and ends I like. It doesn't hurt to get something good to make a few bucks on but I don't want to break the bank buying stuff!

5) How do the people that buy the specials get them out of the show without being damaged? Are the books already boarded and bagged? I can't imagine walking around all day with bags of stuff and them not getting messed up to some degree.

6) Do they post actual appearance times for the guests? When I check the ones I want to get autographs from it just says `appearing Friday, Saturday and Sunday'. They also don't list prices, it just says it is up to the guest if they want to charge and how much.

7) Are there any vendors that sell cards? I mainly collect cards and would hope to get a few off of my want list while I am there. If I go to the NYCC I will pass on the Philly non-sport show this fall. Really hoping someone imports some Doctor Who cards!

If anyone can add any other advice to my questions it is appreciated. If I do end up going I will try and do the `clarka3' help for those who can't make the show.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yup.

2) Should I go? I would be taking my wingman (my 9 year old son). Figured we would get a kick out of seeing the people in costume.
Yup.

3) Is any day better than any other to go? Saturday works best with my schedule.
Can't answer that. I went on a Saturday only.

4) Is it hard to get the specials and what should I look for? I am not looking to pile up on a ton of stuff to re-sell, hopefully some Valiant stuff and other odds and ends I like. It doesn't hurt to get something good to make a few bucks on but I don't want to break the bank buying stuff!
I don't recall there being a lot of exclusives when I went, so I don't know.

5) How do the people that buy the specials get them out of the show without being damaged? Are the books already boarded and bagged? I can't imagine walking around all day with bags of stuff and them not getting messed up to some degree.
See above.

6) Do they post actual appearance times for the guests? When I check the ones I want to get autographs from it just says `appearing Friday, Saturday and Sunday'. They also don't list prices, it just says it is up to the guest if they want to charge and how much.
Unless they're scheduled to appear at a certain time, you must assume they'll be signing the whole day they're scheduled to be there. I can say that when I met Billy Dee Williams there, he didn't show up until around noon. And yeah, I didn't know any prices until I got there. Being in NY, they tend to be higher than elsewhere. But nowadays, everyone is expensive regardless. I paid $40 for Billy Dee, I think most were around $25-$30, then guys like Shatner wanted $80, then another $80 to take a pic with them.

7) Are there any vendors that sell cards? I mainly collect cards and would hope to get a few off of my want list while I am there. If I go to the NYCC I will pass on the Philly non-sport show this fall. Really hoping someone imports some Doctor Who cards!
I don't recall seeing any when I went. Some of the artists that had worked on card sets had some to sign, but that was about it.

I guess I shouldn't have replied because my past experience didn't really answer your questions.

If you're looking to go to a comic show to have fun with your son, go. If you're looking to buy cards, go to the Philly Show.

And I know you live towards the shore, but from where I live we took public transportation just about the whole way up, it was easy as pie. We drove to the PATCO Speedline, took that to Camden and took the River Line to Trenton, then took a NJ Transit train to NY. From the station it was like a 5 block walk to the con, but I think it might be in a different place now. It was on a pier on the west side when I went. But the whole trip only cost something like $20, much better than driving and dealing with tolls, parking, traffic... It took about 2 hours to get there.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Yup.

Yup.

Can't answer that. I went on a Saturday only.

I don't recall there being a lot of exclusives when I went, so I don't know.

See above.

Unless they're scheduled to appear at a certain time, you must assume they'll be signing the whole day they're scheduled to be there. I can say that when I met Billy Dee Williams there, he didn't show up until around noon. And yeah, I didn't know any prices until I got there. Being in NY, they tend to be higher than elsewhere. But nowadays, everyone is expensive regardless. I paid $40 for Billy Dee, I think most were around $25-$30, then guys like Shatner wanted $80, then another $80 to take a pic with them.

I don't recall seeing any when I went. Some of the artists that had worked on card sets had some to sign, but that was about it.

I guess I shouldn't have replied because my past experience didn't really answer your questions.

If you're looking to go to a comic show to have fun with your son, go. If you're looking to buy cards, go to the Philly Show.

And I know you live towards the shore, but from where I live we took public transportation just about the whole way up, it was easy as pie. We drove to the PATCO Speedline, took that to Camden and took the River Line to Trenton, then took a NJ Transit train to NY. From the station it was like a 5 block walk to the con, but I think it might be in a different place now. It was on a pier on the west side when I went. But the whole trip only cost something like $20, much better than driving and dealing with tolls, parking, traffic... It took about 2 hours to get there.
Thanks Ted. Not sure if I want to take public transportation in case I buy a lot. I know this can't be compared to SDCC but I don't see any of the major companies listed. They have a list of toy companies that will be there but what about the comic publishers or dealers? Half of the categories just say to check back later. You would think most of this is sorted out with only a month to go. Am I missing something on the web-site?
Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

im heading to the LVCE at the end of the month which i assume will be a much smaller con and they are still announcing people weekly....kinda seems to me that it runs right up until the last minute
JWMcComas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish73 View Post
Thanks Ted. Not sure if I want to take public transportation in case I buy a lot. I know this can't be compared to SDCC but I don't see any of the major companies listed. They have a list of toy companies that will be there but what about the comic publishers or dealers? Half of the categories just say to check back later. You would think most of this is sorted out with only a month to go. Am I missing something on the web-site?
I went last year for all three days. I was 16 and not into comics at the time but did have a blast. I can assure you all the major comic companies will be there. I believe I read the marvel booth is going to be as big as last years' which was 3000 square feet. Marvel has also created the poster for the event which was just released last week. I believe the comic book exclusives can be found at the midtown comics booth and possibly other vendors as well. I believe, I also saw non- sports cards at a tiny amount of vendors but they can change this year between more or less.

The schedule of events, people, and vendors won't be finalized until probably two weeks before. The wait is killer but thats how it was last year and this year for SDCC. When the schedule does come out it will tell you the times of when the person will be there at either their panel or autograph signing.

Many people cosplay and some are really good, so your son might get a kick out of that. All the major gaming companies come and set up gaming booths. Mass Effect 3, Halo: CE anniversary, Mario Kart 7 (I believe), and many other upcoming games were playable on the floor (long lines though). The panels aren't as good as SDCC but some pretty big names are already listed as coming and the panels are easier to get into than at SDCC. The Walking Dead will most likely be returning again this year.

If your only going one day, I would recommend going on saturday because the best panels are that day (last year on saturday: Avengers, The Walking Dead), but saturday is also the most crowded by a lot. The website currently like you said only shows days for when people will be there.

I went to NYCC and SDCC this past year and on an enjoyment level there practically the same. Exclusives for NYCC, though, aren't even close to as profitable as SDCC. I already bought my 4 day for this year and can't wait for it.
acjcrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acjcrr View Post
I went last year for all three days. I was 16 and not into comics at the time but did have a blast. I can assure you all the major comic companies will be there. I believe I read the marvel booth is going to be as big as last years' which was 3000 square feet. Marvel has also created the poster for the event which was just released last week. I believe the comic book exclusives can be found at the midtown comics booth and possibly other vendors as well. I believe, I also saw non- sports cards at a tiny amount of vendors but they can change this year between more or less.

The schedule of events, people, and vendors won't be finalized until probably two weeks before. The wait is killer but thats how it was last year and this year for SDCC. When the schedule does come out it will tell you the times of when the person will be there at either their panel or autograph signing.

Many people cosplay and some are really good, so your son might get a kick out of that. All the major gaming companies come and set up gaming booths. Mass Effect 3, Halo: CE anniversary, Mario Kart 7 (I believe), and many other upcoming games were playable on the floor (long lines though). The panels aren't as good as SDCC but some pretty big names are already listed as coming and the panels are easier to get into than at SDCC. The Walking Dead will most likely be returning again this year.

If your only going one day, I would recommend going on saturday because the best panels are that day (last year on saturday: Avengers, The Walking Dead), but saturday is also the most crowded by a lot. The website currently like you said only shows days for when people will be there.

I went to NYCC and SDCC this past year and on an enjoyment level there practically the same. Exclusives for NYCC, though, aren't even close to as profitable as SDCC. I already bought my 4 day for this year and can't wait for it.
Thanks for the info. It sounds like my son will be missing one of his soccer games! I will find out for sure over the weekend. It will have to be Saturday. I figured if I go I could be there by 11 and stay all day or until my son collapses!

Valiant did tweet me back that they will be there. I saw that Marvel was making the banner but I just find it odd that the New York COMIC CON doesn't make mention to the comic publishers/vendors that will be there. I know mid-town will be there, it is on their web-site. I also understand that the exclusives aren't as good as SDCC but I was hoping to get an idea what to look for. It is more for me than making money so I guess I will go straight to Valiant and Image and work from there.

Not sure if I will go to any panels, maybe the Walking Dead if we can get in since we watch that show. The only autograph I want is Peter Davison. I get a lot of the Doctor Who autographs TTM but it would be cool to meet one of the actors.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mars Attacks the Holidays: New York Comic-Con Exclusive Variant by Chris Giarrusso.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Of course I get an invitation in the mail for a good friend's 40th birthday party on the 13th! Just my luck.

Guess I will be going to the Philly show after all.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

make sure you take plenty of boards/bags with you. I didn't take nearly enough with me to SDCC.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Is anyone going?! There are some great exclusives I'd love to have you pick up for me. PM if you're going please.