Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default World’s Most Expensive Comic Books

Action Comics #1 is #1, click here for the full list
IndySportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

I really have to question some of those grades. How does Flash #1 get a 9.6 with writing on the cover? Not that I know much about grading, but I'd have to imagine things like that would seriously hurt the grade.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

question for any expert/experts willing to answer. i'm a big fan of the hulk and have been contemplating getting an incredible hulk #1 origin. im looking to get a graded copy but not sure which grade would be the best value for the money.
rmiller1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller1k View Post
question for any expert/experts willing to answer. i'm a big fan of the hulk and have been contemplating getting an incredible hulk #1 origin. im looking to get a graded copy but not sure which grade would be the best value for the money.
Low to mid grade would be a good choice. Low grade grails are going up in price cause the high grade stuff is priced out of reach for the average collector. You notice it big time with low grade AF#15's.

Look for good page quality and presentability with low grades and you cant go wrong. Mostly woth reselling.
mb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
I really have to question some of those grades. How does Flash #1 get a 9.6 with writing on the cover? Not that I know much about grading, but I'd have to imagine things like that would seriously hurt the grade.
You question the grade with some pencil but not the Xmen #1 with rounded corners ??

Key books get higher grades and golden even higher

I find it to be a pile of crap myself and showing how grading is a laughable joke.
Sort of like giving a child with a lower IQ a passing grade because he cannot get it on his own. It's a farce and a mockery of the actual concept of grading. Hence why I could give shi** for graded books....it's all fixed
Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

The Flash #1 is from the Edgar Church Collection which is probably the best condition copy out there. They also grade Golden Age with a curve because a lot of the books back then had a lot of faults which were common on all books. And it's very common for a book to have a arrival date which was put there by the retailer so they know when to pull it off the shelves and some of the pedigree collections tend to have distinguishing characteristics on them like initials on the cover or inside.

If you have time, this is a great read.
Tales From the Database - Mile High Comics, Chuck Rozanski
My-Coolectibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Where where those marvels stored for 40-50 YEARS to be in that great of shape - a vacuum

i doubt they had comic supplies in the 60s

:jedi::jedi::jedi:

Last edited by natbornkiller; 09-05-2012 at 08:27 PM.
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
Where where those marvels stored for 40-50 to be in that great of shape - a vacuum

i doubt they had comic supplies in the 60s
Cedar chests would be my 1st guess

Western Half of the US would be another.
Low/No moisture regions. No mold. Paper can last a long time.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
You question the grade with some pencil but not the Xmen #1 with rounded corners ??

Key books get higher grades and golden even higher

I find it to be a pile of crap myself and showing how grading is a laughable joke.
I just chose the example that stuck out like a sore thumb. For a grader to be more lenient to these comics given the age (or a shady reason) is a joke.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
I just chose the example that stuck out like a sore thumb. For a grader to be more lenient to these comics given the age (or a shady reason) is a joke.
The Church books more or less were some of the best examples in comic book history, and it's the most prestigious pedigree out there. I looked at that particular notation on the book, and tried figuring out if it were some sort of "arrival date" as cgc will not denote grading due to arrival dates pencilled in. I'm sure that is the case, but not sure as it does not reflect the date of the book.

As far as the Hulk 1 is concerned, yes any grade in this is fantastic. It's the most undervalued of the marvels, but quickly catching up as this past year it's gone up a lot.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
The Church books more or less were some of the best examples in comic book history, and it's the most prestigious pedigree out there. I looked at that particular notation on the book, and tried figuring out if it were some sort of "arrival date" as cgc will not denote grading due to arrival dates pencilled in. I'm sure that is the case, but not sure as it does not reflect the date of the book.
That's a crock. When there are examples without pencil marks like this, the ones that have it should get dinged more on the grade.