Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Collection Intervention on SyFy

I recently caught Collection Intervention on SyFy recently and it was an episode where the guy had 30k comics and he didn't want to part with any of them. In the end he gave up 2,000 in modern comics for a Incredible Hulk 181 in 9.0 condition. Although the trade was not in his favor, the value of the book would go up in the future and he got rid of 2,000 comics which saved a lot of space and clutter. In the program, the host stressed that it's better to have quality over quantity. Get a few nice Golden, Silver Age books because those are going to go up and hold their value in the long run. I believe that and I tend to concentrate on Golden/Silver/Bronze Age books with a few moderns (Walking Dead) thrown in.

How do you guys feel about that?
My-Coolectibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Damn, Indy should have told us he was going to be on tv...might have dvr'd it.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16

Shop Smart, Shop Rink-Mart
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm big on this....I've collected for 25+ years. At first i wanted one of everything and had 5000+ books. Then i concentrated on the big titles like spidey/x-men/batman, etc... then I started getting some key books graded.

Finally, I'm now down to approximately 50 books, all cgc graded at 9.0++

eventually, in the next 2-3 years I hope to upgrade my spidey 1 to a cgc 6.0++

So to answer your question: YES!!! definately quality over quanity.
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I learned the HARD lesson

X-Men were top dog from 88-94 when I was in it the hardest.
An X-Men #1 was MORE then than now,oddly enough, at around 2500 for a poor copy and up. Anyway.....Xmen from 1-150 were stellar. Any Xmen title that came out was 5.00 3 months later. getting back issues was a joke. A silver ANY issue was going to be 50.00 minimum.

Now, I am a...completionist....I can;t NOT have a full run...it eats a hole in my soul. So, having a new family,debt and still loving my hobby, I changed my direction and went with books that no one liked.

I went and spent about 11 months and picked up Avengers #1-mid 280's. My total investment was 700 for #1, 100 for 2, 50ish for 3 and 20 for 4-8, 5/ea for 10-20 and 1-2.00/ea for 21-180 then 1.00 a book for 181 and up

I did the same with the Hulk, no one liked the Hulk back then
#1 cost me a flat 100.00 and 2-6 cost me 25.00/ea. I picked up, I THINK tales to astonish..i wanna say issue 60 or maybe it was 70, Hulk reappearance, up to...112 I think, 2.00 a book. I couldnt find a 181 for under 200.00 so I skipped that issue
Also picked up Dare Devil 1-260 for 600.00
I had picked up a multitude of silver-age. It was dirt cheap. As long as it was not the Xmen, and Xmen cross over or fantastic four it was cheap. ASM was affordable back then. Granted #1 was up there with Xmen #1, if you didnt mind going later, 25ish-100 was 5.00 a book

Also, to point out, we did not have grading back then. We had words, but books were 3 catagories
Full price, nice cover, no tears-Wrinkled cover, half price and what we call today VG- to Poor, unless it was key, was usually 1.00/ea in singles or .50/ea in bulk.
My 100.00 hulk would be an 8.0 by today's grading as would me DD #1. My Avengers would be a 3.0 as I left it in the mylar and 3 weeks later went to move it to my collection, into a bag and board( dont lol :P ) and i realized the cover was detached. Again, the cover was a 6.0,but the staples had pulled free and they guy had simply put it back in and waited for someone to see it and argue the price or, like me, miss it and get raped....i could pay 200-250 today to get it restored professionaly and it would still be worth 10 times what I paid

Now,in 97 the wife decided life would be more fun without a husband
So, Divorce costs and such, the 1st thing to go were my books.

I roll forward to 2010 and my Father, in a fit of mortality,claims he wishes to give me part of my inheritance.....he lied, he wanted to clean out his garage :P
ANYWAY
He gives me 16 short boxes, all valiant
I get nostaligic and get the itch,we all know this itch. I tell myself I would love to get back into collecting books and where do you start ? Where you left off....now
WHo hear can image the sheer elvel of WTF>?!! sticker shock I got ?
4 books i had would total to close to 13k in todays market based on how grading goes and how high the value incrrease is for pristine covers.

So
I did learn ...never short sell my books again and ALWAYS go for Silver/Gold since everything else will take YEARS to become key

Yes, I am also a collecting hoarder. I have been back in almost 2 years and have close to 15k books and should have close to 30k by next week That is why I had to open my man cave store :P Wife got tired of it being everywhere.

I like quantity. I like the book. having the book is enough for me for the most part. I am a bit picky, has to be VG+ with no cover tears or I dont care what the price is

Quality ? Why sac 1000 books for 1 book if you enjoy the books ?
No, I disagree with the quality is better approach...unless all of your books were made by comico...even then I would be hesitant :P
Old 09-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

There's something in the water lately, or people are getting all hyped up watching these Storage Was shows. I attended a vintage comic auction over the weekend. Over 300 vintage, pre1970 books, and the realized prices were INSANE as people were getting into bidding wars and driving the hammer prices up to ungodly amounts. WAY over book values prices. Needless to say, I didn't buy anything. I used to be able to pick up stuf at auction, but there are too many people in the buying market who will soon realize how much they overpaid for their books and hopefully go back to whatever it was they were doing before flipping on Storage Wars.

You're NOT going to get rich on comic books. It's a hobby, and sure, some books go up, you can make a few bucks, but you have a better shot at making money by just saving it in a jar.

I buy moderns and read them because I enjoy them, and I do buy old comics for nostalgia and collecting reasons. I also believe in quality over quantity. I'd MUCH rather have a 8.0 copy of Crime Suspenstories #22 than just about every horror comic made in the last 50 years.

I guess it all boils down to why you, on a personal level, like to collect/read/flip,etc.. I do a little of all three.. and hoarders will hoard, regardless of the material item. I've seen people who hoard SOAP! The funny part is, they don't actually use any of it on themselves.

Last edited by IndySportsCards; 09-24-2012 at 10:25 PM.
IndySportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oh not me
If it is horror from 1980 and down and 4.0 or better, I will take it if the price is right
The hobby is getting ready to swing in that direction hard. I have been picking up all kinds of horror.
I read modern books online, but I only invest to flip in them. I have a large chunk of new books (2005-current) buy only for when someone comes in. I sold several Ronin books to 2 guys this week, but he also picked upa Ironman 14,15 and Avengers 25 and that Spidy Electric Company Thanos book.
His friend is meeting up with me for the Ironman #55 and they are both regulars.
1 of them has Walking dead #1-10 signed by...someone , not kirkman, and 11-89. Trying to convince him to pounce while the getting is good since I see that market dying eventually. He agrees, but he paid cover for everything so to him, not selling isn't money lost....hehe

EDIT:Tony Moore is whom he has them signed by
I had to look it up out of curiosity