Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   ComicBookJunkie (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/)
-   -   Uncanny avengers (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/378122-uncanny-avengers.html)

Scrogg27 10-03-2012 06:58 PM

Uncanny avengers

With so many issues of number 1, which variant would be more collectible? The 1:300 cover or possibly the deadpool sketch. All are available now but figure I need to act fast.

Midtown has the deadpool sketch for 425!

IndySportsCards 10-03-2012 07:51 PM

Sketch covers almost always outsell the colored ones for some reason. As far as which one, hard to say, but Deadpool is VERY popular, that's why it's so limited and expensive. [URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNCANNY-AVENGERS-1-Master-Variant-Set-14-Covers-Deadpool-sketch-ALL-VARIANTS-/271073962027?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3f1d44682b"]You could just buy them all for $480[/URL] ;)

Scrogg27 10-03-2012 08:06 PM

For now I just have the deadpool sketch, granov cover, Baby, and the midtown covers. Too many variants to keep track of.

Wasn't sure how limited the deadpool sketch was that is why I asked earlier. I think I read that each comic shop only gets one but not sure if that is true.

I do know that after I ordered it, the site is now out of stock.

IndySportsCards 10-03-2012 08:07 PM

Could be. That's DEFINATLY one you want to get graded if you're thinking resale. Granov always makes killer covers, and the Baby variants always sell well too.. I think you did great. I didn't pull the trigger on the Deadpool as I just got the Batman #13 sketch and have been spending WAY too much on comics lately. Haven't we all :)

Scrogg27 10-03-2012 08:16 PM

I will post some comics I found today at a flea market in the .25 bin. After I found all these hidden gems I felt like I could splurge on some modern comics. But yes I need to slow things down a bit. Need to stop buying and start slabbing.
Most comics I found were infinity gauntlet related :)

Feels great when you sort through piles and all of a sudden find stacks of comics that are heating up.

Gibberish 10-03-2012 08:34 PM

I think the "big picture" is being missed here.
Why would you shoot for a "higher" copy of a book that should be 180k preorders ?
Same to me with WD 100...the base copy can be had for 2.00...it's like pissing on the hobby IMO
I love Variants, but with so many different one's they are raping the collector jsut like they did in the early 90's and if people keep lapping it up,the same thing will happen again...all your books will be worthless.

I can;t list 10 books that have a good collection value from 20 years ago...man that should be a clue as to what is repeating itself :)

Buy the normal #1 or the cover you think looks cool and tell yourself they will be worthless down the road because that is going to happen.
Variant-insanity is starting to choke the market IMO

That is why I am dumping all of my cash for spending in silver/Golden
You can take entire runs and see the money over the years. You can do that in modern on only something HOT and...Hot dies,everytime.
My comic expenses this month are sitting at 7,000.00 and nothing is newer than 1978 :)
if you are investing or gambling,that's where the line is drawn
if you are flipping,then it's moot :)

mma138 10-03-2012 11:30 PM

my advice is to not go to crazy over spending lots of money on these variants. marvel seems to be re vamping titles every 2 minutes. what's captain america on now ? volume 765 ? they just re started that not long ago with a number one now thats getting re vamped too. x force , again another title that was re started not long ago now there re vamping it also. the list go's on and on .

enjoy the art and reading them, but dont go spending 125 to 200 on these variants that will eventualy decrease in value .

IndySportsCards 10-03-2012 11:45 PM

Yeah, don't fall into the trap of thinking you've got to get them all. They're NOT Pokemon. Treat yourself to one or two here or there. On new titles, I tend to get variants as they may help fund further purchases down the road if I sell them, but most of the only variants I get on existing titles are usually only Spider-Man and Batman.

jcaleo 10-04-2012 08:26 AM

[QUOTE=Gibberish;3416717]I think the "big picture" is being missed here.
Why would you shoot for a "higher" copy of a book that should be 180k preorders ?
Same to me with WD 100...the base copy can be had for 2.00...it's like pissing on the hobby IMO
I love Variants, but with so many different one's they are raping the collector jsut like they did in the early 90's and if people keep lapping it up,the same thing will happen again...all your books will be worthless.

I can;t list 10 books that have a good collection value from 20 years ago...man that should be a clue as to what is repeating itself :)

Buy the normal #1 or the cover you think looks cool and tell yourself they will be worthless down the road because that is going to happen.
Variant-insanity is starting to choke the market IMO

That is why I am dumping all of my cash for spending in silver/Golden
You can take entire runs and see the money over the years. You can do that in modern on only something HOT and...Hot dies,everytime.
My comic expenses this month are sitting at 7,000.00 and nothing is newer than 1978 :)
if you are investing or gambling,that's where the line is drawn
if you are flipping,then it's moot :)[/QUOTE]

$7,000 a month in a 8% yielding security for 20 years will net you $4,000,000 to $5,000,000. :eek:

Gibberish 10-04-2012 11:38 AM

That is not per/mo spending. Just came across a good deal

Besides,sinking funds into a bank for 20 years is CRAZY with the looming economy disaster :)

IndySportsCards 10-04-2012 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=Gibberish;3419689]sinking funds into a bank for 20 years is CRAZY with the looming economy disaster :)[/QUOTE]

On this you and I agree! :)!

Scrogg27 10-10-2012 09:28 AM

Well I'm glad I picked this up when I did for less than $100. I see they are selling for $200+ on eBay already. Easy flip, hopefully looks sharp. May slab it or just sell it raw right away before prices come down.

Also heading to lcs today. They are having a raffle to give one away. If I'm lucky I can snag that one to for free :D

IndySportsCards 10-10-2012 10:21 AM

If slab-worthy, it'll sell for MUCH more in CGC 9.8 than raw, especially if you're one of the first to get it up for sale. Good snag my friend! Wish I could have gotten into one that cheap.

Scrogg27 10-10-2012 10:40 AM

If it looks good I'm sending it to you with several other comics to get graded. Will send you a pm when I narrow my list down

IndySportsCards 10-10-2012 01:01 PM

Okay, I took the plunge.

[IMG]http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad181/rwaring11/FistBump/UncannyAvengers1DeadpoolSketch_zpsb27afab3.jpg[/IMG]

jcaleo 10-10-2012 01:06 PM

I scored on too...got mine at the LCS for $37...pretty excited about that. I am considering getting it graded, but have no clue what to look for to get the 9.8. Can someone guide me...I have a couple others I want to send to you Indy along with this if it is 9.8 worthy.

[QUOTE=IndySportsCards;3450494]Okay, I took the plunge.

[IMG]http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad181/rwaring11/FistBump/UncannyAvengers1DeadpoolSketch_zpsb27afab3.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

IndySportsCards 10-10-2012 01:10 PM

Make sure there are no rolls near the spine, as in the book quickly curves up making it uneven. The surface nice and smooth, no dents. The spine has no color breaking indentations, the corners crisp and not rounded. This was a special variant shipped in a bag & board, so I doubt anyone outside of the printer/packager has handled it, so it should be in good shape. No major damage to the corners and you should be okay.. Even in 9.6 this book will sell well.

IndySportsCards 10-10-2012 01:11 PM

Oh and only $37?!! You STOLE that book! I'm calling the coppers!! they're going for 80-300 RAW on Ebay right now. They were 1 per store, printed at a ratio of 1:450 - very low print run on that puppy. Nice snag my man!!

jcaleo 10-10-2012 01:17 PM

[QUOTE=IndySportsCards;3450521]Oh and only $37?!! You STOLE that book! I'm calling the coppers!! they're going for 80-300 RAW on Ebay right now. They were 1 per store, printed at a ratio of 1:450 - very low print run on that puppy. Nice snag my man!![/QUOTE]

I was shocked. She was late putting books on the shelf, so I just waited. The Granvov was $10 more. There was a guy behind me a little bummed I grabbed it first. :flex:

There is a little color break on the spine when the grey letters wrap around...is that common with white and grey covers. How much per book for you to send in?

IndySportsCards 10-10-2012 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=jcaleo;3450542]I was shocked. She was late putting books on the shelf, so I just waited. The Granvov was $10 more. There was a guy behind me a little bummed I grabbed it first. :flex:

There is a little color break on the spine when the grey letters wrap around...is that common with white and grey covers. How much per book for you to send in?[/QUOTE]

Depends on how fast you want it back.

Fast Track - $50 (2-3 weeks)
Modern - $40 - (2-3 Months)

That includes all CGC fees, shipping/handling/supplies.

Scrogg27 10-10-2012 02:40 PM

$37, wow. That is stealing. Nice job on your part. Can't wait to get mine in the mail. I'm guessing by Monday I should have mine.

At one Lcs I visited this morning they had theirs on display and it didn't look so hot. Corners marked up a bit. They are raffling it off at 8pm. If I win it I won't be mad since its free but kind of surprised how damaged it was.

IndySportsCards 10-10-2012 03:33 PM

Yeah, just got back from another shop in town, and he had 1 Granov variant, but whoever put it in the bag bent the hell out of the lower right corner and it was folded back over itself, totally ruined that book, yet they still had $60 on it... What-evah! I passed, but love that cover..

newbie 10-11-2012 10:38 AM

$60? I would have picked that book up for that price. I think you could still flip it for more than $60 on eBay. Man, wherever you guys live, I need to move there.

George19 10-11-2012 11:59 AM

I think I take the Rape with KY Jelly Award for the Deadpool Sketch Variant. I picked it up yesterday afternoon for only....$20.00! It was the pick-up of the year.

Sorry, jcaleo! :flex:

G

IndySportsCards 10-11-2012 12:03 PM

That's like winning the comic lottery George! Nice snag-a-roonie!