Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to comics... Recommend stuff to me!

Hey guys! I'm an football card collector and am beginning to get an urge to delve a little bit into comics. I want to get into Batman and possibly a bit more of a unique series like 'Happy'. I've had a look at essential Batman and know about Year One, Hush etc.
Anyone got any recommendations? Any Batman? Any good unique comics?
Thanks
Jack
Old 10-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Avoid advice from the guy named Indy here, he makes guys buy My Little Pony and comics like Butcher Baker....

All jokes aside, no time like the present to start buying Bats with the current Death of the Family storyline.

From a unique perspective, I've enjoyed Fatale so far.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isn’t that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Saga, although i suggest buying the trades unless you really want to collect because getting your hands on them will set you back a few dollars.

Manhattan projects

Walking dead, again buy the trades

Revival

Bedlam should be good. Not out yet, but soon

Thief of Thieves

Last edited by skel1977; 10-23-2012 at 01:27 PM.
skel1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Saga is a very good read and just came out in TPB (issues 1-6) and it's only $10! Revival is a good read and Bedlam is a very good read!

If you want completed series then look into Y: The Last Man

Ongoing Series: Invincible
Old 10-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Awesome, will check them out. The local store is a few miles away, but should be able to get down next week.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

True advice here.
your post is being echoed all over the internet and at shops.
People see money and an interesting investment.
I expect comics to start hitting the 80-100k mark on hotter issues in the next 6 months.
I give the hobby 2 years before it resets itself again like it did in 1995/1996
When that happened EVERY Comic book issues from 1990-1997 turned to pure crap except new Mutants 98.
If your interest is in reading, have it and have fun.
If it is into investing, go with Silver/Gold
if it is for flipping, do it and never take your eye off the hobby
Use this site as a marker. When you see a 10-15% drop in averaged subs,get out
Comic Book Sales for 2012

For flipping,register with CGC, like every other serious flipper does and LEARN how to visually grade to the T. Once you can safly pick out books that are 9.4-9.6, the mark for most newly released books,then you are where you need to be.
Follow trends and learn to see what type of kooky #@#@#@#@ people like.
Point in fact, I called bedlam a month back. I knew the story line smelled of "OMG I GOTTA HAVE!"...now everyone is on it, so many variants and so many people on it, unless you are pushing 9.8's,there is little room for a resale value that makes up for the time.
Happy, to me , was a shitty story,but the concept got people excited and then the whole movie deal has every person hopping on it (Except me and my silver-age crew :P )

it is so like sportscards in the respect that if you miss a week or 2, you can burn yourself.

Just be smart,find your niche and run with it. But keep in mind, this surge will be short term.
This same thing happened 20 years ago. I saw thousands of ball card dealers move into comics for the quick cash and the face 2.00 in march could resell for 10.00 in May. The problem will now be with so much rampant speculation and people getting wind ,more so because of the web now, that it will increase sales and thus demand. However, like then, there will be a mad zerg by comic companies,who see this coming as well, to get it while the getting is good. Expect more variants over the next 12 months than have been produced in the last 10 years.
You then have people chasing a tier and letting the other tier fall to the wayside which will eventually drag it all down and this will domino across the entire hobby
eventually.

THE UPSIDE>.......
The marker will be all on modern, driving the demand down for vintage and thus the price. The rebound,which i got raped on due to the exwife (VIew some of my past posts were I pissed away around $180k in books by selling off before I understood this formula) will be that Silver will be picked up cheaper as well as gold and when the hobby does reset, people will avoid new and focus back on older and the price will increase 10 fold.
A few examples

1992 Hulk #1 was a 400.00 book in F/VF condition. 20 years later,the same book would bring 12-14,000.00
In 1992 Spawn number 1 was released at cover. 6 months later, November, it was 20.00 and selling out.... EVEN THOUGH 2 million copies had been printed.
In 1992 Carnage was created by December he was as cool as venom and 361 was a 15-20.00 book
In 1992 harbinger #1 was released. Within 7 months it was a 120.00 book. The 1989 Nintendo Valiant titles, Zelda, Link, were 400.00 books

Now, review these books values now in relation to Hulk #1

Sorry, I know these guys frown when I preach. I jsut would rather people getting in be smart or at least be honest and then use their head and do it right while they are doing it. None of this will end up hurting me, but it could hurt people who ride the wave out of genuine interest, mixed with excitement and kill comics for them forever much like Ballcards did to people in the 90;s as well

Be safe, be smart and try to have fun while doing whatever you do end up doing
Old 10-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't frown on your advice Giberish, I agree with most of what you just said. It's just I happen to like Happy! I thought it was pretty dang funny.

I think the biggest obstactle for a sport cards guy who just wants to speculate on comics is you really need to know your market, and your books. Comic nerds (and I include myself in that phrase) know when you have no idea what you're talking about. "What do you mean Iron Mans hammer?".. "Spider-Man doesn't wear a cape, WTF?!" etc...

You've got to keep up on story lines, know what's happened, and what's going to happen to help make the best choices on books to collect/read and flip. I you don't know what you have, when you try and sell it, you could look like a total dork.

This basically means you have to participate in the reading of the comics otherwise you're kinda out in left field where nobody is hitting the ball.

Last edited by IndySportsCards; 10-23-2012 at 07:13 PM.
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well
Nothing new can compare to artwork like this :0

Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nice one Gib! I'm always on the lookout for this one. I hope to pull it out of a collection I buy someday.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you just want a great story then Sin City, Watchmen, Goldfish, Torso, and Runaways to name a few...
Clay3742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Invincible is the single best super hero book on the market and not many books are even close to as accessible. Buy the compendium.
thecardpodcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just come back from my cousins house, who is a collector. He gave me some stuff for free just to get me started, which is awesome!
I got:
Alpha Flight #37
Alpha Flight #38
Alpha Flight #39
The Immortal Iron Fist #4
The Amazing Spiderman #390
The Amazing Spiderman #391
The Amazing Spiderman #401
The Punisher War Journal #29
The Punisher War Journal #36
The Punisher War Journal #49
Batman and Robin #17 (2011)
Batman and Robin #18 (2011)
Old 10-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

nice, I dig the Iron Fist
Clay3742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
Saga is a very good read and just came out in TPB (issues 1-6) and it's only $10! Revival is a good read and Bedlam is a very good read!

If you want completed series then look into Y: The Last Man

Ongoing Series: Invincible
+1 on Saga and Y: The Last Man. If you are into new Batman, Batman: The Black Mirror (available in hardcover and trade paperback) and Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls (available in hardcover and trade paperback as well) are very good. I like the latter a bit more. It just seems more polished and nuanced. It's also the first part in the current run so once you get caught up, you can experience it with others as new issues are released.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

Just went to the local comic shop while in the city center and picked up Walking Dead #103, was a great read so I'm going to pick up 104.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

RamRage, see if you can find issues 96-102 as well as it's what starts that story arc and will give you a better idea of their situation and the story overall as it stands now.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
RamRage, see if you can find issues 96-102 as well as it's what starts that story arc and will give you a better idea of their situation and the story overall as it stands now.
If you've got the time, pick up Walking Dead Compendium 1 & 2. Thick books, but quick and great reads. Will bring you up to speed on everything that has gone down. Amazon seems to always have them for at least 40% off suggested retail.
chalado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalado View Post
If you've got the time, pick up Walking Dead Compendium 1 & 2. Thick books, but quick and great reads. Will bring you up to speed on everything that has gone down. Amazon seems to always have them for at least 40% off suggested retail.
Sounds good, I'll look into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
They had 102 there, but since it was part six of a storyline I strayed away to 103. Will pick it up next time I'm there (: