Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Comic shop RANT!

I don't normally complain about many things but I have to speak up about something that happened to me today while I was picking up a few comic books.

Let me first tell you that this store that I visited wasn't my usual shop that I frequent but I was tempted to find Avenging Spiderman 15.1 which seems to be the craze of the day. So when there, I saw 2 copies of Nowhere Men #1 which I picked up (bringing my total to 5 copies) as well as the coveted AS 15.1 from which I grabbed 2 copies. There was a Thief of Thieves #9 that I needed for my collection...so I grabbed it. When I got to the counter, I asked the salesperson if he had any bubble variants for Nowhere Men #1...he responded if an emphatic no...ok...no worries I told him.

This is where it went downhill...he proceeded to bag and board the comics without hesitation...asked for the total for which I paid and then practically threw the books at me.

I left the store feeling rushed and uneasy...I got into my car and drove off.
About 10 mins later, I pulled over to take a look at the books and realized that a copy of Nowhere Men and Thief of Thieves were creased at the middle spine.
I'm very picky about the condition of my books and knew fully well that they weren't this way when I brought them to the counter. Needless to say, I won't be going back to that store again!

I know of some stores that have their books already bagged and boarded and others that take very good care of their books when doing so. Just my two cents...if there are stores that bag and board at the counter while checking out, then they should let their customers do so for themselves.
cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

The way some of these niche stores abuse their customers is always a puzzle to me. When people can get whatever they want from these places online, the only thing they really bring to the table is customer service (outside of any retail exclusives you get).
Old 12-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's BS... The ones I go to don't bag and board but they do take there time and are careful at least when it comes to bagging them.. I had something happen to one book some months back but that was totally my fault. I hate the way they sit in the wall holders to intentionally make a crease at the spine when you pull it out.... I hate having to shuffle through all the copies for a nice one! I feel your pain!
Acapulco_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is common in my shops as well. I'm a total PITA when I come up to the counter. I tell them I want to get these graded, and I bag and board it with the UPC code showing so they can just scan it. I ask if I can help assist to reduce any potential damage. They know me, and know how weird I am about it, but it pays to communicate with them and just tell them, you're not going to pay for damaged books due to mishandling.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

your way nicer than I am when it comes to stuff like that..... I've gone into a full rant at once place! LOL! I didn't give the whole speech! the guy was creasing it up and i asked nicely hey if he could just be a little careful so they don't bend.... he proceeded to say like it matters...... well that was all it took for me! I grabbed the books and bent them up the middle and told him if it didnt matter then WTF!!! and my wife & daughter were standing next to me all cool like they've seen it before. I asked for the manager and told him to look at the books.... those books represent his entire establishment... ALL EFFED UP!! we walked out after that and actually a few people that were waiting left with me too! I was like EFF THIS POS STORE!! LOL! It was funny on the ride home.... my wife was laughing cause she knows I did it for s**** and grins and the book bending was kind of a heat of the moment thing... I was amazed that people agreed and left with me. I went back once and that guy was checking people out again but he knew me! had someone else check me out. I still giggle when I think about it!
Old 12-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

the clerk creased your books? that's completely ridiculous.

the shop near me takes the time to bag/board all new stock when it comes in from diamond; then they put it on the shelf.

http://blastman.imgur.com/
blastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

he didnt crease them.... he was being a little rough with them... I was the one who creased em... LOL!! I over did it to prove a point!! the guy looked at me like I was a total D-Bag....
Old 12-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

wow. that sucks man. I would think that people who are into the hobby would make great service at their shops since ordering online seems to be easier nowadays. But this is just crude. I'm sorry your comics ended up that way
hellojeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acapulco_Gold View Post
he didnt crease them.... he was being a little rough with them... I was the one who creased em... LOL!! I over did it to prove a point!! the guy looked at me like I was a total D-Bag....
lol too funny
skel1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

ill dig through 20 copies of a book to get a good one way back when batman 608 came out i went through 100 copies to get my batch same thing on printing 2 the shop just looked at me strange i had them bagged as well when i got to the counter, seems like most shops dont like the collecting aspect, although they want our money
mike barnes is offline   Reply With Quote