Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Peter Panzerfaust

WOW!
Peter Panzerfaust 1 CGC 9 8 Very RARE HFT Very Popular NM | eBay

I was able to pick up a CGC 9.8 for $140 about a month back! Extremely small print run (4814)!

Anyone following the series? I picked up the TPB and it's a good read and a new twist on Peter Pan!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think Im jumping on board now. Not because i have read the series but because of the potential. I think 1-8 had like 5k print run. Still no confirmation of a tv show. In fact one of the creatores had this to say. Seems like its still struggling but if it does blow up, I want to be in the middle of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Wiebe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseofComics.Com
Just read this thread from beginning to end last night. Really interesting to sort of see the two different arcs (regular sales and aftermarket sales) and great to have the author pop on at various times.

I have to say, I don't fully understand what's going on with circulation and threatening the cancellation of the book. Kurtis' comments make it sound like at 7000 circulation it's profitable and at 5000 it veers into labor of love territory and logically at 2000 copies or 1200 it could be costing them money.

I'm no expert, but from my reading of Dave Sim editorials in the 90s plus just generally being around comics and publishing, the way I understand it is that the trade sales are the key. Sim said that by issue 130 or so of Cerebus, the monthly wasn't selling enough to make it worth going forward...except for the trades (which he more or less pioneered). He said there wasn't one month since 1977 that he hadn't made money on Cerebus 1.

Add in some BBC money for Kurtis (not sure his agreement with the artist on stuff like that) and the artist being able to sell original art, and it seems like a more or less viable concern. Now maybe they are pulling out all kinds of behind the scenes stops to keep this going, but I would hope that with the first trade printed and money coming in from that, selling art, etc. they are going to be able to make it to at least the 25 issues and have a great finished story that they can make money on (mostly via trades) for years.
You have to keep in mind a few things about the income of the book.

1) BBC TV show isn't official and we don't make anything unless it is. That could be years from now and we have to live off something in the meantime.

2) At the current sales, I receive a cheque of $1500 per issue, sometimes a little bit more, sometimes a bit less. That amount is reduced by the page rate we pay our colourist and a percentage goes to our letterer. I won't go into the details, but at the end of both of those dediuctions, Tyler and I split the remainder.

3) We do make money from TPB's, but we aren't paid until six months after it's released, meaning we're doing the following five issues for very little money. See, this is what happened to Green Wake, my last series that I had to stop because Riley Rossmo wasn't making a dime. We didn't get the Volume 1 money until after we decided to end the series because we simply couldn't afford to go through the monthly singles to reach the collections.

I'm not trying to stretch the truth when I say we are doing this as a passion project. We really are. Yes, potential money could be coming down the pipeline, but since the first issue came out, Tyler has been making, essentially, $20/page. It takes him 3 weeks of every month to complete an issue and he has to live off something. He has a wife and two kids.

So, that's where Peter Panzerfaust is at right now. I'm very much hoping that all the recent publicity drives the sales up, but nothing's ever certain. Regardless, we will finish this series because it's something we HAVE to do.

And to answer the questions on print runs. I believe each issue sells around 4700 copies, so I'd imagine a print run of 5000 or so.
skel1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well an all-time high

Peter Panzerfaust 1 1st Print CGC 9 8 NM MT Image Comics RARE | eBay
Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
That one has been relisted... not sure if it was the exact same book though.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Go down to the to the descriptions in the body of the auction.

Certification Number: 0087133014
is from the $489.00 auction.

Certification Number: 0087133015
is from the $449.00 auction.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wow, Krighton over on the cgc boards sold this today. All I can write is WOW. Peter Panzerfaust 1 2 CGC 9 8 RARE BBC TV Kurtis Wiebe Tyler Jenkins | eBay
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
Wow, Krighton over on the cgc boards sold this today. All I can write is WOW. Peter Panzerfaust 1 2 CGC 9 8 RARE BBC TV Kurtis Wiebe Tyler Jenkins | eBay
I am soooo glad I threw down on this book when I did. Story is great, print run is low and demand is ridiculous. If that show ever gets put on TV, it will only get better.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsUT View Post
I am soooo glad I threw down on this book when I did. Story is great, print run is low and demand is ridiculous. If that show ever gets put on TV, it will only get better.
Right on! Yeah, I'm late to the party, only have 2nd prints of issue 1. And will most likely watch from the sidelines as these prices are interesting to say the least.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm kicking myself for not picking up Krightons PP#1 CGC SS with sketch before for only $115 shipped. It was the only SS at the time. I saw it on ebay sell for $55 to him so I didn't budge on the $115 price he offered me . This was back in July.
mb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

For those keeping track the first preview of Peter Panzerfaust was in Morning Glories #14. Same preview as Green Wake #7 but MG14 hit stores 2 weeks prior to GW7.

I cleaned out the cheapies on Amazon

Last edited by mhuhn23; 01-29-2013 at 01:39 PM.
mhuhn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

And in a month they will find the first appearance in another book that predates that one.
LOL. Thats the third time its happened now when will the fourth time happen ?
siro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

i got one of those mondo comics thinking it was the 1st appearance of peter panzerfast. are these mondos still worth holding on to?
ratherunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

MG14 camem out November 16, 2011. Green Wake #7 was November 30th 2011. Mondo #1 was February 2012.

I think this article makes it pretty clear it is the 1st true appearance.

Image Comics | PETER PANZERFAUST MAKES A GRAND ENTRANCE
Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

2 cheap copies left

Morning Glories #14:Amazon:Books
Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

sorry...I started a thread not knowing it was already brought up here!
cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Just heard from Kurits Wiebe on cgc boards...he considers issue #8 the 1st Captain Hook appearance since that is the one where his hand is the hook!

He also said #9 was severely under ordered (because the spike didn't happen until after orders were placed for #9)...in other words...PICK UP ISSUE #9. He also went on to explain that they go into Captain Hook in issue #9!

Sounds like Issue #9 will be RED HOT! Releases on Feb. 13th! I know I'll be picking up all I can of this issue...just the cover looks awesome!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

If anyone is interested. I am thinking of moving a set of 2-8 all first prints.
If interested a can get a photo. Looking for $170 shipped and I will include a #2b.
So set includes 1st print 2-8 and a 2B. Only condition issue is 5 which I would call VF. The rest are NM+

I would prefer to move these here for obvious reason...
jcaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
Just heard from Kurits Wiebe on cgc boards...he considers issue #8 the 1st Captain Hook appearance since that is the one where his hand is the hook!

He also said #9 was severely under ordered (because the spike didn't happen until after orders were placed for #9)...in other words...PICK UP ISSUE #9. He also went on to explain that they go into Captain Hook in issue #9!

Sounds like Issue #9 will be RED HOT! Releases on Feb. 13th! I know I'll be picking up all I can of this issue...just the cover looks awesome!
Thanks for the info! I can't wait! I loaded up on #8. As mentioned on another thread this morning, I saw my LCS had #8 selling for $25!
cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Dang, I ordered 6 at a site for cover. Hopefully they come through.

I called a couple of LCSs and all of them were sold out of all issues of PP, there was this one store that had #6 for $9, #7 for $10 and #8 for $50. Crazy!
TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

#8 going to a 2nd print!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
#8 going to a 2nd print!

I've been searching all night for some place to pre-order this, really want to make sure I don't miss out.

Did you guys see the massive lot of PP comics somebody has been hoarding on the Cgc forums
He just put up a post.
To lazy to post link..sorry.
Scrogg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #22 (permalink)

They aren't even showing up yet online, I would say goto the lcs and ask em to pre-order for you..
kyleg40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #23 (permalink)

ordered a copy of morning glories 14 on amazon wednesday and it came in the mail yesterday. must be the fastest order i ever received
ratherunique is offline   Reply With Quote