Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Where do you live

and what is around you?

I live near Hartford, CT. I have zero hastings or midtowns near me unless i drive to new york. However I have

The Eye Opener, LCS 5 minutes from work(lady owns it and she is who I use for a pull list. She sells most of her variants for 5 bucks which is very reasonable and the reason I use her for a pull list)

Heroes and Hitters, LCS 10 minutes from work

Newbury, in the mall 5 minutes from home

Buried Under, 10 minutes from home(I mostly hate them because they are the type to pull crap off their shelves when its hot and sell it on ebay for 30 dollars)

Omin sports cards, 5 minutes from work

Matts sport cards and comics 20 minutes from home. They are probably one of the biggest retailers on ebay but overall they are a good bunch of guys. Dont ask them for variants though, they will say they are sold out yet list them on ebay
skel1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Clearwater Florida, but sadly only 2 comic shops in the area, and one of them doesnt know what the hell he is doing.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Pflugerville, TX

=Closest=
Capstone Comics: Low new inventory, but good back stock selection.

=Close=
Dragon's Lair: Awesome new inventory, pretty much zero back stock.

=Far-ish=
Austin Books and Comics: Awesome new and back stock selection.

=Special Trip=
Junior's Comics: Have not been there since I started collecting when I was a kid. It was always a solid store for both new and back stock.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would go to dragons lair just based on name alone
In fact IM going to open my own store called smogs lair or the hobbit hole
Old 01-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I would go to dragons lair just based on name alone
In fact IM going to open my own store called smogs lair or the hobbit hole
I am seriously contemplating opening my own Comic/Games/Cards shop. I would like to have it up and running by this year, but there are some serious logistics that need to be worked out before hand
Old 01-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikey121581

i live in philly

ontario street comics 6 blocks from me
garden of earthly delights bout 20 minutes from me
teedee comics in turnersville nj bout 40 minutes
Brooke Tessmacher,WWE Elite Figures,Green Arrow
mikey121581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

i live in new jersey

only 1 comic shop within my 15 min radius and i hate going there. they never have any new images in stock, and 1 of the employees gives me attitude everytime i go up to the desk.

there's one about 30 min away and they're great but my wife never gives time to go.
ratherunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I live in Arlington, VA which is basically Washington D.C.

A bunch of stores near me. The one I hit up on Wednesday is Fantom Comics in Union Station in D.C. Really small store, so not a lot of back issues, but great prices on TPB, friendly staff doing some innovative stuff in selling shelf space to small publishers and creators.

Also, they put out all their variants at cover price.

If you guys ever take a train to or through D.C. and have time, I recommend stopping in and checking them out.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherunique View Post
i live in new jersey

only 1 comic shop within my 15 min radius and i hate going there. they never have any new images in stock, and 1 of the employees gives me attitude everytime i go up to the desk.

Ahh yes I get that too. The " you buying this to flip" disgust look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalado View Post

If you guys ever take a train to or through D.C. and have time, I recommend stopping in and checking them out.
Im scared of trains
Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

<< 15 Minutes away from SDCC.

I have 11 stores (that I know of at this time) around me within a 20 minute radius. 1 at 30 minutes away.

6 of the stores are owned by the same guy. Only 2 shops in SD has a great back issue collection.

The one I would never go to would be in Ocean Beach, SD. The owner, will always try to jack up prices at the last minute if they are back issue. Youll see it for a nice price as the tag states, then at check out, he will ebay.com that thing and its never an exciting hunt anymore. I even asked him if he had any Mylars, he responded back with "Whats that?". SMH. Shop is called Galactic Comics.
J.MEISTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

I live in L.A. The two shops that I go to normally are The Comic Bug in Manhattan Beach and Geoffrey's Comics in Gardena since they are close to my work place.

I know there's a couple of other shops near my place in West L.A. but the selection is pretty limited. I swear one of those places is just a cover up for something else too!

I also like checking out Meltdown Comics in Hollywood. But traffic and parking are a pain in that area, so I don't visit as often.

I used to live in NYC years ago and LOVED hitting up Midtown. I'd go there at least every other weekend and just make a day hanging out in that area. That was when I was single and without kids, so I had plenty of free time to do nothing.
"He went from sacking quarterbacks to tackling crime" - NFL Superpro #1
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/
LBSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.MEISTER View Post

I have 11 stores (that I know of at this time) around me within a 20 minute radius. 1 at 30 minutes away.

6 of the stores are owned by the same guy. Only 2 shops in SD has a great back issue collection.

The one I would never go to would be in Ocean Beach, SD. The owner, will always try to jack up prices at the last minute if they are back issue. Youll see it for a nice price as the tag states, then at check out, he will ebay.com that thing and its never an exciting hunt anymore. I even asked him if he had any Mylars, he responded back with "Whats that?". SMH. Shop is called Galactic Comics.

He baits and switches on you live in the store?! That's F'd up man. I'd never shop there.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.MEISTER View Post

He baits and switches on you live in the store?! That's F'd up man. I'd never shop there. That would be like me offering Savage Wolverine #1 Graded for $65 and then see they're going for $35 raw on Ebay when you expressed interest and then saying, oops, sorry that's $85 now. Before you see a listed price, anybody can set any price they want, but after the fact is BS. I've had to up prices a bit here and there depending upon supply and demand, but to do that to a customer in the shop is outrageous. I'd be livid if someone did that to me. "Oh, this bargain $5 comic I found buried deep in your back catalog is now $75 because they're hot on Ebay!?".. "Oh, what did I say? I said go screw yourself commie"..
Old 01-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
He baits and switches on you live in the store?! That's F'd up man. I'd never shop there. That would be like me offering Savage Wolverine #1 Graded for $65 and then see they're going for $35 raw on Ebay when you expressed interest and then saying, oops, sorry that's $85 now. Before you see a listed price, anybody can set any price they want, but after the fact is BS. I've had to up prices a bit here and there depending upon supply and demand, but to do that to a customer in the shop is outrageous. I'd be livid if someone did that to me. "Oh, this bargain $5 comic I found buried deep in your back catalog is now $75 because they're hot on Ebay!?".. "Oh, what did I say? I said go screw yourself commie"..
the owner at my LCS pulls that crap on me. one time i walked in asking if he had any back issues of thor 344 and he says "wait let me check if we have them in stock." next thing i know he pulls out a comic book price guide and says......uh yeah i'll let you know next week if i pull one out. no shame whatsover.
ratherunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

In van down by the river....
Acapulco_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSB333 View Post
I know there's a couple of other shops near my place in West L.A. but the selection is pretty limited. I swear one of those places is just a cover up for something else too!
I would find it very amusing if I went to a Comic Shop that was a front store for the dope game!!
Acapulco_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Walnut Creek, CA

My shop is:
Flying Colors Comics and Other Cool Stuff
T_Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Fenwick MI.

Shops I frequent:

Rookies Sports Cards Plus, Lowell
Excelsior Games & Comics, Greenville
Apparitions Comics, Grand Rapids
Argo's Book Shop, Grand Rapids

2 shops, Goldmine Comics & Cards and Tardys Collectors Corner are both shops that crank up the price in real time. If its going for $10 on eBay the day after release. Well so are theirs. Ironically that Goldmine place I went to one time during the summer. They had 5 Saga #1s behind the counter. Oh what I'd do to have them at that price now.
mhuhn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Indianapolis

Comic Carnival is my favorite.

Hero House in Fountain Square is cool, but doesn't order much. I have found some goodies there as it is out of the way for most people.

I can walk to Downtown Comics, just off the circle, at lunch from my office. There is also a Downtown North. I like the downtown location more than north.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

i live in philly and work in princeton,nj. there are 4 shops i go to.

Wades comic madness in levittown,pa
steves comic relief in lawrenceville,nj
steves comic relief 2 in levittown,pa
capes n cowls in bensalem, pa
justinj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

I lives in LA

These are the shops I usually go to:

Earth-2 Comics
Ace of Comics
Galaxy of Comics
Njoy Games and Comics
TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
You pretty much summed it up Indy. I did leave pretty furious, worst part is, I told him "You know what, Ill think about it" (due to all the pressure). Then he said, "I cant promise theyll be for sale again next time" lol and this is coming from the owner of the store. I know hes the owner because I asked him if it was his shop.

I left and I sure did share my wonderful experience with the yelp community. I dont even know how people do business like that.
J.MEISTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #23 (permalink)

i live in west palm beach florida.

im new to serious comics collecting, so far the place i buy comics at is mostly ebay, and other online shops. but have found 1 LCS.

past present future about 30 min away , i used to buy MTG there before. good place, kinda old school.
pinggoy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #24 (permalink)

Cool I use them too. There near my work. I have a pull list there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Hamilton View Post
Walnut Creek, CA

My shop is:
Flying Colors Comics and Other Cool Stuff
mb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #25 (permalink)

I live right outside of houston, closest comic store is called dna, its mostly a hangout for the magic the gathering group, usually about 40-60 people playing, they handle comics open faced, don't watch spines etc, there is bedrockcity but its about an hour away, you would think a city like houston would have more..Only 2 more that I know of about 2 hours away
kyleg40 is offline   Reply With Quote