Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to do with my Django Jim Lee Variant with tape on the cover?

I posted last week about my Django Jimm Lee variant cover coming to me with a slit of scotch tape on the cover directly from Graham Crackers. Finally got around to emailing them, and it was actually nice that the owner himself emailed me within an hour. I paid $8 for the book, and it's selling in the $90 range on ebay pretty consistently, so the $8 refund isn't exactly my ideal turnout.

The owner offered a refund of the book plus S&H, and he said they use frosted tape that could come off easily if careful. He offered to have it shipped back to them where they could try to get the tape off as well. He did apologize and said it could have happened at the distributor level, but said that his people should have caught it. In all he seems like a really nice guy trying to give me some options to rectify the situation; I've used Graham Crackers several times and will definitely do so again in the future, but that doesn't necessarily change the problem at hand. The book would be a 9.8 without the tape on it, it's gorgeous otherwise.

What do you think I should do?
1) try to carefully remove the tape myself with a razor blade
2) send it back to them and hope they can get the tape off or take the $12 refund if they can't
3) list it on ebay or here as is and maybe get $25 out of it and let someone else try to remove the tape or accept it
4) I'm going to the Arizona Comic Con in two weeks, should I just get Jim Lee to sign it and PC it

I can get scans of the tape up if anyone wants to see it. Curious what most of you think I should do and if anyone is interested in it LMK, I'll let you know if I just want to let it go cheap.
jasonadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Do you know what is worth 1000 words?
skel1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Do you know what is worth 1000 words?
An order of Roberto's Carne Asada Nachos with extra Sour Cream?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

I tell you if it were me Id want this signed by Stan. The movie is great by the way
If you didnt have a chance to get this signed, Id send it back because otherwise it would be a headache.

1)If you tear it you will be mad at yourself for not sending it back. 2)if you sell it on ebay, there is always a chance that even though you took pics and explained you were selling a copy with tape on it, the buyer would still leave negative feedback saying you sold him a copy with tape on it.

However since you have a chance to get this signed, peel that sucker off and cross your fingers.

I take it they wont replace the copy with another?
skel1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

They can't replace it, Graham Crackers only got three of these in total, so I guess they ordered 75 of the base cover. If I do try to remove it, I guess I can exacto it at the bottom of the cover where there's a little air bubble and then slowly try to peel it back. I'm even thinking of experimenting with one of my Image Firsts $1 books and placing some of the tape from another one of my Graham Crackers bag and boards to see if tape does actually come off them cleanly. I'll probably make up my mind tomorrow, I'll let you know what I decide, but would love some more feedback from anyone else.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Last time I tried to take tape of a Tales of Suspense #99 I turned a $100 book into a $6 book. That was on old paper stock though, it seems as if these newer covers are not as fragile and if you're super careful, like McGuyer disabling the detonator on a nuclear bomb that'll take out half the city of San Francisco Careful, then maybe you can save that Django!
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Peel it off, and if it doesn't come off clean, then get it signed and pc it.
mmbtvs is offline   Reply With Quote