Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ugh, decided to stay an extra day in Phoenix

I drove out Friday morning from Vegas and had only planned on staying one night and leaving Saturday night after the show ended (Arizona Comic Con). I ponied up for the VIP pass for $100 (the grab bag gimmies sucked, but early entrance and not waiting in as many lines was nice). Not sure if it was posted here, but Stan Lee had to cancel last minute because of the flu, and I had four books ready to get CGC Yellow Labelled by him (D'oh!).

The biggest news is on the Jim Lee front. A person working the VIP line when I checked in said the Jim Lee private VIP signing was Saturday morning, so I showed up ready with three Justice League 12's ready for signing (we were told it was 3 signatures per person). I came in at 9:40 for the 10:00 AM signing in a conference room, and I was about #120 in line, but it wasn't just VIP attendees, and I wasn't allowed to get to the front of the line. It turns out the Jim Lee VIP signing was actually on Sunday. After an hour of waiting, Jim Lee showed up 45 minutes late, he said he didn't know Arizona was an hour ahead of California time.

So when the first person in line went, it was surprising that he did a full on five minute sketch for the guy. Next person in line goes, same story, and so on. I wasn't sure if a few people at the front of the line paid for a commission or not, but as it turns out Lee just decided he'd do free sketches. Well I say in that conference room near the back until 1:00 (over three hours). Lee then had to do a panel and grab lunch, plus he was still getting over the flu, so about 20 of us remaining were given a raffle ticket to come back to the 2:00 signing and promised a sketch.

I waited about another hour, but alas got my sketch of Batman on a blank Batman 0. In the first session he was taking about five minutes per sketch, the 20 or so he had remaining in the second session he took about three minutes per. I looked at my Batman versus another guy's from the first session, not nearly as detailed, but for a free Jim Lee sketch I won't pout too much. I saw a first session Joker, Gambit, and Hellboy that made me jealous. He insisted on personalizing each sketch so people wouldn't just resell them. I still chose to get mine CGC Yellow Labelled just for proof to others, never gonna resell it.

Anyways, I'll share the photo when it comes back from CGC in a few weeks. I just got a new credit card with a $5000 limit and 0% APR for 18 months, and won about $1500 gambling last week, and had a great week of work, so the stars aligned for me to spend a fair amount this weekend (I have $1700 in CGC fees so far, still might make one more small run), posted this while waiting for Jim Lee again at this private signing, the show director isn't sure if he's doing sketches again, Jim Lee just decided to so that on his own yesterday, so we'll see if he does them again this morning, I'm about #30 in line today with a blank Uncanny X-Men (Lee is here on his own, so it's not just DC sketches). Anyways, lee should be here any minute, I'll do some more show recaps tonight or tomorrow, wish me luck on sketch #2.
jasonadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Cant wait to see the photos.
pinggoy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh, and unfortunately all of the vendors are requiring AZ state sales tax if you use a credit card, and I'm too cheap to pay an extra 8% for everything, so I guess I will just live on my credit card for every meal the next few weeks.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

He just got here he is doing sketches for all the VIP's again this morning. Who should I get on my X-Men cover. He just does portraits, and I just saw someone's Wolverine from yesterday that looks just like my Batman. Thinking Collassaus right now since that was my brother's favorite X-Man when we were growing up (my brother died in a fishing accident a few years ago, so not sure if that would be more special, or just creepy). Possibly Magneto on the mind, any other possible suggestions?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonadkins View Post
He just got here he is doing sketches for all the VIP's again this morning. Who should I get on my X-Men cover. He just does portraits, and I just saw someone's Wolverine from yesterday that looks just like my Batman. Thinking Collassaus right now since that was my brother's favorite X-Man when we were growing up (my brother died in a fishing accident a few years ago, so not sure if that would be more special, or just creepy). Possibly Magneto on the mind, any other possible suggestions?
He draws Colossus really well. Also you could go for an X-men foe like a Sentinel. If it were me I have always liked Nightcrawler.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

I saw an amazing Omega Red he did yesterday. Thinking of an elaborate villain since more detail would be required in a quick sketch Apopocalypse, Magneto, and Sabretooth also are possibilities. I have about an hour or two to decide while in line.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

How about the Juggernaut or a Sentinel?

Oooo how about X-23??
"He went from sacking quarterbacks to tackling crime" - NFL Superpro #1
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/
LBSB333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSB333 View Post
How about the Juggernaut or a Sentinel?

Oooo how about X-23??
Juggernaut is really cool.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Asked him to do Apocalypse, he thought for a few seconds but said he couldn't do it from memory, so I went with Magneto. Pretty solid detail, I'll share a picture later tonight, need to get back to the show.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Looks awesome!

So what were your thoughts on the show overall?
"He went from sacking quarterbacks to tackling crime" - NFL Superpro #1
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/
LBSB333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

That Sketch RULES!! nice snag.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

I went to the show on Saturday and was very disappointed. It's the same cost to get in as the real Phoenix Comicon (Memorial Day weekend) and was only a small fraction of the size. Stan Lee not being able to make it was a huge bummer. Jim Lee being late and the poor organization around his appearance were a disappointment as well.

I was able to pick up some books I was looking for and got some extra Nowhere Men copies at a really good price ($14 for #1 and $8 for #2). Also got John Layman to sign some books for me. Really nice guy.

Won't make the mistake of going to this one next year unless it's way cheaper to get in.
muchotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

I agree with what was stated, the organization of the show was really bad. In all I ended up waiting seven hours for my two Jim Lee sketches, which to me is still worth it, but why not hand out numbered raffle tickets and call 20 or 30 of them at a time to go back there over the PA system? They did have raffle tickets also. All the time that the die-hards spent waiting in the conference room for Jim Lee was time that we could have been out on the floor spending money, which is good for the dealers, and in turn good for the show promoters.

I think there were only about twenty comic sellers there, probably ten modern and ten vintage, so I was repeatedly going back to the same dealers over and over again since there weren't many options. I did find some good deals, and I really didn't have a chance to snoop through value boxes like I would have liked. It was definitely worth it for me to drive out from Vegas IMO, got to meet some great dealers and aside from Jim Lee, all of the artists and writers were easily approachable throughout most of the show. Picking Matt Hawkins' brain was a lot of fun, if you meet him somewhere, just ask him some questions about Think Tank and he'll go on for a while in all details about how he learns about new weaponry and how much time he spends doing research on the internet.

I'll probably try to go to the Phoenix Comic Con also, most people were telling me it is much better and McFarlane is scheduled to be there. It was a success for me, I had fun and learned a lot, two awesome FREE Jim Lee sketches didn't hurt either.