Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchidread View Post
Hi Carr! Newbie on this site, and I really appreciate this info on pressing. My own technique is basically 225 degrees for 15 minutes sa/ba/gold and the same for modern except with the tissue paper.

Anyways what I wanted to ask you is, have you tried to press the big squarebound Marvel/DC books yet? I have a Batman 1 Annual that I would like to press, but not sure if the press would damage the square binding or not. Appreciate any info you would have on this, and again, I really like this site and hope to contribute.
I personally don't press squarebound books like The Killing Joke, or Marvel Giant sized from the 70s.

Always buying Iron Man 55, Captain Marvel 33, Avengers Annual #7, Various other Bronze Age Thanos appearances.
Carrbeaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #52 (permalink)

Thank you for posting this. I collected comics when I was a child growing up and have a pretty big collection still

I have never tried to sell any of them as I wouldnt really know where to begin. Some are not worth much money but some I believe could be. My collection is 99 percent Marvel. I was into Spiderman and Xmen mostly and all books are all over 20 Years old as I stopped collecting in 1989.

Thing is with these being collected when I was a kid none of them are graded and most of them I believe would fall into the reader condition. Some are in great condition, some are not. All are bagged and boarded I think. Would you suggest that before I sold them that I should get something like this? Or would you suggest I sell these as a lot as is? Also have any advice as to selling them that would be helpful? I'm not sure if now is the time to sell them but with them sitting in my garage its something I am considering. Before I saw this post I never knew I could improve the condition like this and its exciting to see

Thanks for your reply!

http://s775.beta.photobucket.com/user/alexladue/library/

Damn The Hard Times. Enjoy The Good Times!
addicted36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
I personally don't press squarebound books like The Killing Joke, or Marvel Giant sized from the 70s.
cool, thanks, I guess I will try with some old worthless ones to see how they come out.
kimchidread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #54 (permalink)

Location: Comicbooksgo.com is my domain if anyone from here wants a 10% discount. Just let me know.

I would be very curious to see your results when using some sort of moisture to completely get rid of anything that's not color breaking. Also, you are THE MAN for posting this stuff. I've known a bunch of guys for a long time that won't say one word about the process they use. Namely the guys that do use some sort of moisture in the process.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 AM   #55 (permalink)

Carr, any updates on humidyfing bath? Thx
aasparky1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #56 (permalink)

I actually just use a hand held clothing steamer for my humidity bath. It's much more efficient.

Always buying Iron Man 55, Captain Marvel 33, Avengers Annual #7, Various other Bronze Age Thanos appearances.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #57 (permalink)

Carr how do you use that?
aasparky1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #58 (permalink)

Ok found it. P4L
ForeverEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #59 (permalink)

Just read this whole thread.
Here is another good thread with lots of great info.
Pressing experiment #50020021 - Collectors Society Message Boards
The cliffs notes of it is, all the pressing info in this thread should not be followed.
youmechoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbooksgo View Post
I would be very curious to see your results when using some sort of moisture to completely get rid of anything that's not color breaking. Also, you are THE MAN for posting this stuff. I've known a bunch of guys for a long time that won't say one word about the process they use. Namely the guys that do use some sort of moisture in the process.
Create a humidity chamber. It will introduce humidity to paper in a non aggressive manner.

Last edited by youmechoose; 01-27-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #61 (permalink)

Carr is the only person I trust to press/clean my rare books.
natevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natevegas View Post
I'm almost sure he has learned since then. He made the initial posts almost a year ago. Just trying to update this. Like, don't use regular printer paper for pressing books, leaves this paper imprints. Don't use more than 185 degrees for pressing, even then 185 is a little too hot. Don't use a clothes humidifier to introduce humidity to books, use a humidity chamber. It's all in that thread on the Cgc boards I linked to earlier with some great explanations as to why not to do things. Again, just giving an update.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natevegas View Post
Haven't tried him yet, but I'm sure he does great work. I do my own but for expensive stuff, I use another company. Might try Carr in the future.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmechoose View Post
I'm almost sure he has learned since then. He made the initial posts almost a year ago. Just trying to update this. Like, don't use regular printer paper for pressing books, leaves this paper imprints. Don't use more than 185 degrees for pressing, even then 185 is a little too hot. Don't use a clothes humidifier to introduce humidity to books, use a humidity chamber. It's all in that thread on the Cgc boards I linked to earlier with some great explanations as to why not to do things. Again, just giving an update.
I actually found a clothes humidifier that works to my liking. But most of them are awful for it, they tend to spritz out water not steam.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
I actually found a clothes humidifier that works to my liking. But most of them are awful for it, they tend to spritz out water not steam.
I prefer the humidity chamber myself, although I've done both methods. It takes longer though.

Last edited by IndySportsCards; 01-27-2014 at 10:29 PM.
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
I prefer the humidity chamber myself, although I've done both methods. It takes longer though.
Done both myself as well. Chamber only for me. It really is a learning experience to find out how much humidity to give a book before pressing. When using a steamer, the srp was always cockling because of too much moisture, now I dont have to worry about it after using a chamber and learning how long to humidify a book.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:41 PM   #67 (permalink)

the humidity chamber is more than the press?
8802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8802 View Post
the humidity chamber is more than the press?
Humidity chamber is just a fancy word for a way of basically making a comic sauna

Old 01-28-2014, 02:52 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Humidity chamber is just a fancy word for a way of basically making a comic sauna
I googled them and they are expensive. Can you shed anymore light about it? This whole process fascinates me.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:30 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
I googled them and they are expensive. Can you shed anymore light about it? This whole process fascinates me.
SteamFast SP 660 Fabric Press Steam Fast PSP 990 A Steam Works Great | eBay

Plus

Seal Jumbo 150 Dry Mount Press Seal Tacking Iron 100 Sheets of Tissue | eBay

Plus

A box of 12x12 cermic tiles (You can find sale boxes at Lowes where the top tile is broken for about 25.00) NON TEXTURED

Place 2 tiles in your press, heat it up to 210

USE AN OVEN MIT TO TOUCH THEM

Place Book in steamer, silk, pop,pop
Remove, place on paper ( I used butchers paper as I had rolls of it), place paper on top
Open press, remove top tile, place books in paper on bottom tile, make sure it is centered, place top tile back, press.

Remove, after 15 and up depending on damage, both tiles, set aside.

Place 2 more tiles in, rinse,repeat

Do not remove the tiles from the books until room temperature just to be safe.....God the wrinkle and curl was so frustrating

It gets old...just a fair warning. Got bored and would leave stuff in the press and piss the wife off.

BUT ask around, get input and try to have fun. Use beaters

A side note...ANY BOOK WITH ANY ADHESIVE will mess your press up. Crayon can bleed,and smear as well.

I practiced washing a few covers as well...that's a damn space taking mess right there.

Pressing is for the patient person or the guy making money. it is not for the guy who is "Curious" as I was :P

have fun
Old 01-28-2014, 03:45 AM   #71 (permalink)

I'd love a 3-4 minute video from start to actual putting a book in to press. I got lost after the word silk and using tiles
Old 01-28-2014, 03:52 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
I'd love a 3-4 minute video from start to actual putting a book in to press. I got lost after the word silk and using tiles
I sold my stuff.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:31 AM   #73 (permalink)

I am a wuss, would rather pay the 5-10.00 for a SA pressing to someone who knows what they are doing. Certain things I am horrible at, cooking hot dogs, burnt them on the stove even in water. And this I would mess up..Now computers, I can build, program and fix..but thank goodness for people like Indy and Carr who can do this type of thing..
kyleg40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:41 AM   #74 (permalink)

I learned to press from Matt Nelson's teacher (the company cgc absorbed). From my understanding Carr is doing a great job!
Cujobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
You don't want one that will introduce humidity to paper in an aggressive manner. I made mine by going to ikea and buying 2 plastic tubs. 1 really big and the other one big enough to fit inside the really big one. The smaller on has to be large enough for an open comic book to lay flat. Put some water, not a lot, inside the large tub then put the smaller one inside the large one. Then put the comic inside the smaller tub and put a lid on top of the large tub and you have a humidity chamber. It works great because it introduces humidity to the book in a non aggressive way. Make sure the water is a little warm. The timing is something you have to play with, not all books need so much humidity and some books don't need any. Moderns are different paper stock than older books so watch for that too. Credit for that humidity chamber goes to Cgc board member mschmidt, he helped me out when I was starting.