Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 04:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Comic collecting as a hobby....

Hi,

I just wanted to post this out for I keep seeing threads about what is the next big flip or what is the "hits" coming out next month etc.

What got me really into comics are the storylines of each series. How it sparks my imagination on how a story will evolve etc. You can easily see if a book will have potential depending on the combination of ideas and how the plot may thicken.
example: (Helheim = vikings meets game of thrones)

To be honest, I don't think of the next big "hit"... I just see what will catch my interest. I read previews prior to releases etc and look at the writer and if the preview story is intriguing etc.

Liking a comic book is subjective. People see it as a "sensitive market" but really the reason behind this is that stories are subjective to each one of us.

Like when I joined this forum, I was reading previews one night and shared this before even the sex #1 boom. Look at the date of post

I am no Indy but I am very much intrigued about the storyline...

When I read the preview of it I saw it having lots of potential and shared it to others. I wasn't even expecting it to be this big

So for me, comics is really a hobby and it should be secondary when it comes to business side. I buy in multiples in order for me to technically have my personal copies for free or to fund my next interest

There will be nothing sure because stories are subjective.

The only SURE WIN, is the enjoyment of having your imagination bring you into the world of that series and learn the lives of the characters

Last edited by bigboytoys; 03-11-2013 at 04:24 AM.
bigboytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

i feel the same way you do. the same feeling exists when it comes to my trading cards.

i think alot of people have begun buying comics since the comic section in the forum was introduced. but i think most of them began buying stictly to flip . which is fine , thats there right .

i think midtown limits how much you can buy of each copy now. i beleive that is becasue of all the new members on blowout that have begun buying , this is all indy's fault .
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Personally, I collect comics because I enjoy the read and I love to collect. However, comics, much like sports cards, are an expensive hobby. "Flipping" books is a good way to keep fund in the coffer for books that you want to add to your PC. In the end, it is all about personal preference. Flippers gonna flip, collectors gonna collect and readers gonna read.
DigsUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I enjoy it for all aspects. Obviously these new image comics have been amazing lately. Saga & Revival have caught my imagination like nothing else. However, the hunt man, the hunt is what gets me excited...strolling into a new shop or my LCS on release day just knowing I might be able to make 400% profit on something I find casually sat on the shelf in there. It's a thrill.

I love all aspects of this hobby.
Madrizzle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrizzle1 View Post
I enjoy it for all aspects. Obviously these new image comics have been amazing lately. Saga & Revival have caught my imagination like nothing else. However, the hunt man, the hunt is what gets me excited...strolling into a new shop or my LCS on release day just knowing I might be able to make 400% profit on something I find casually sat on the shelf in there. It's a thrill.

you said it, "the hunt"...
Jperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrizzle1 View Post

Im right with you its the same situation for me ... except I found PP 2-8 on the shelf read it loved I bought more saga revival etc. then found this place = hooked all over again

Last edited by $100box$20cards; 03-11-2013 at 12:48 PM.
$100box$20cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

nice, pp 2-8 on the shelf... good stuff. found a lot of TSG on the shelf this weekend as well
Jperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I collect alot as well as try to flip a few here and there. I by no means go out and spend $100-$200 on comics to flip, I spend $30, keep 75% for myself and try to flip a new issue or series that is hard sought after.
ZombieBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

I collect for myself and because I love comics but supplement my collecting by flipping modern books I could care less about. I can't really justify buying comics otherwise when I have a wife and kid that have needs and wants. I really enjoy the aspect of collecting in general though, to complete things or finding that gem in the $1 bin that sells for $150, it's a great rush.
DNOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

I got back into comics when i decided to walk into a store and saw this book called thief of thieves #1. I didnt buy it but went home and started reading about all the new comic books. Someone told me, go buy all the thief of thieves #1 its going to be a gold mine. Not knowing anything i decided what the hell. Almost a year later, here I am flipping books like a mad man.

I didnt get into comics to collect, but I find myself collecting anyways. I read a few books ans immediately had to have them all. Saga, Manhattan projects, thieves, think tank, clone etc.
skel1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

SDCC last year got me back into it. Yeah SDCC is great for exclusives, panels, celebrities and hot girls dressed like your favorite characters, but I found that the most enjoyable part of the convention was talking with the creators. It was great to meet writers and artists last year, and I'm fortunate that I'm in a place where I can continue to do this at local comic book shops. Having the opportunity to meet them also makes the books more enjoyable. For example, I was excited about the second issue of Todd the Ugliest Kid because the writer gave me the background on it's connection to Danny Trejo and the main prison character watching over Todd.

I do like to flip items, but I'm like DNOC where I use it to supplement my own collection. I recently listed my Nowhere Men #1 Thought Bubble to get some funds for Wondercon. I plan on picking up some sketches for myself and my daughter. Will those appreciate in value like crazy? Probably not...but for me it's gonna be priceless. And like most "hot items" eventually they will settle and the prices will come down. All the stuff I dreamed about having in the 90s is now super cheap.

OP thanks for creating this thread. This is fun to read about people's perspectives on this topic!
"He went from sacking quarterbacks to tackling crime" - NFL Superpro #1
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/
LBSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote