Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #26 (permalink)

I may stop by if I am bored, drunk, and in the area.

G
George19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George19 View Post

G
How about 2 out of 3 of those conditions met...? LOL

Jason, if I'm ever in Vegas I'll be sure to stop by. Although, I expect that Tera Patrick to be working at the store so that I can also take pictures with her.
"He went from sacking quarterbacks to tackling crime" - NFL Superpro #1
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/
LBSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSB333 View Post

Jason, if I'm ever in Vegas I'll be sure to stop by. Although, I expect that Tera Patrick to be working at the store so that I can also take pictures with her.
All or nothing, Pablo, sorry! Let us know when you are out here. It sure does get boring out here

G
George19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #29 (permalink)

That's amazing. It's always been a small dream of mine to do something like that but I'm really not very business minded.

Wonderful news.

Another one of my dreams was to go to Las Vegas someday so...when I do...ill 100% stop by.
Madrizzle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSB333 View Post

Tera and I couldn't agree to terms, I'm currently wrapping up negotiations with Jenna Jameson and Nikki Nova though.

Thanks again for all the support and I welcome any and all advice I can get. Having owned a card shop for two plus years, I feel like I got that down, and I know what comics are hot on eBay, but now I need to figure out how to market to the majority of comic collectors who buy books simply for reading and the artwork. Do you guys think offering 20-25% off a Pull Box for the first three months is a worthwile promo to get people to come in and start a pull box?

A few other notes:

-my shop was a Barbeque place for ten years and a Thai Restaurant for about one year. It's been vacant since August, which is why I was able to work a better deal on my rent, he initially wanted $1.25 sq/ft. It has now been cleaned up and converted into a retail space.

-I have a very solid union job as a server at a steakhouse on the Strip. I will be keeping that job and working the shop in the mornings/afternoon and heading down the street to my serving job. Needless to say I will be exhausted, but I have an extremely cool boss that is supportive of my shop and has always been great about giving days off and early-outs so I can try to keep my sanity. When the shop starts to take off and see good profits, I will quit my serving job, hoping the shop sees solid profits after 4-6 months and I will never have to wait another table again. I plan on hiring a few employees, and if I can pay them $10-$13 per hour, then for every hour I work at my steakhouse, I can pay off three to four hours of their pay.

-The South Point gets completely crazy when the Rodeo is in town, and apparently so does the shopping center I am in. The Dry Cleaner owner said they make enough in the month that the Rodeo is in town to pay their rent for the entire year. I haven't really figured out how to capitalize on this yet; what kind of colletibles do Cowboys buy? If you guys have any thoughts on this, PLMK
jasonadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonadkins View Post
Tera and I couldn't agree to terms
Yeah, they sometimes get all hung up on the conjugal visits
Old 03-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #32 (permalink)

Good luck and big congrats Jason, I hope it takes off for you man!
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #33 (permalink)

If any of you can, please "Like" my new facebook page for the shop, it's under Stripside Comics and Sportscards. I added some cool photos of stuff I have with some horribly corny comments to them, such as this classic over a photo of some Yu Darvish graded rookies:

Did you hear the latest breaking news? Soulja Boy was found murdered. Do you know who did it? Yuuuuuuuu!!!!

(I know, I'm a dork. Who else would open a Comic and Card shop though?)
Old 03-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George19 View Post

G
Well George, I can't help you with the bored and in the area part, but you know I will always have a secret stash of hooch in the shop to help you out with the third prerequisite. And George hold the distinction of being the first person to step foot in the shop with me after I singed the lease, aside from the guys demolishing parts of the old Thai Restaurant to bring it up to a retail space for me.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #35 (permalink)

Awesome news and congrats! I'll make sure to like your facebook page and I will definitely visit if I'm in the area!
Gus Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #36 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Yep, next time I'm in Vegas, I'm totally going there and complaining about something. I'll wear a fake beard so you won't know it's me!

P.S. Congrats! awesome news.
He won't know the guy with the fake beard in the My Little Pony t shirt is you?

Congrats. If you can do MTG do it. You'll pay your rent with it.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #37 (permalink)

Hey if comics don't work out, you could goto pahrump and open a comic house like cathouse only the women dress as superhero's..lol..Its legal in pahrump
kyleg40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #38 (permalink)

might have to stop by, I'm in vegas from may 1st -6th. I also run a store in NC since 2006. Both comics, gaming, toys, and sports cards. It can be a wild ride for sure. I hope you made it to the industry summitt this past month to get all the new info for the sports cards. try the Diamond summitt in Chicago this april as well for more comic info.
hannahs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahs1 View Post
might have to stop by, I'm in vegas from may 1st -6th. I also run a store in NC since 2006. Both comics, gaming, toys, and sports cards. It can be a wild ride for sure. I hope you made it to the industry summitt this past month to get all the new info for the sports cards. try the Diamond summitt in Chicago this april as well for more comic info.
Wow, mind if I pick your brain a little? I didn't get my business licensing in time for the Vegas card summitt, but I am going out to Chicago for the Comic Summit and C2E2.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #40 (permalink)

I just stopped by Stripside and I hate to say it but I was disappointed. If you like comics or Magic the Gathering then this is the place for you. If sportscards is your flavor then I would recommend another shop in Vegas.

I took a 25.00 taxi ride there because I thought he would have some cards. I waited an hour and a half for Jason to get there because the guy working knew nothing about sportscards and said he couldn't help me. Once Jason finally showed up, I gave him a list of what I was looking for and he simply said he didn't have any of that and went back to doing the Magic thing. He didn't even ask if there was anything else I might be interested in. I did buy a couple cards out of the dollar box and picked up a couple cheap vintage HOFers he had in the one jewelry case of cards he had. They were about to have a Magic tournament so I guess I was not the priority. After I spent my 50.00 there I walked across the street to a hotel to take another 25.00 cab ride back to my hotel.

the part where he would offer you a ride back to your hotel is apparently something he has done away with. The guy who was working knew nothing about that offer.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #41 (permalink)

I haven't been to vegas in 8 years its been too long.
Congrats on the store !
siro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:20 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow, mind if I pick your brain a little? I didn't get my business licensing in time for the Vegas card summitt, but I am going out to Chicago for the Comic Summit and C2E2.
Next one for the summit is march 16-19 2014. Pm me if u have any questions!
hannahs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:08 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoore_25 View Post
I just stopped by Stripside and I hate to say it but I was disappointed. If you like comics or Magic the Gathering then this is the place for you. If sportscards is your flavor then I would recommend another shop in Vegas.

I took a 25.00 taxi ride there because I thought he would have some cards. I waited an hour and a half for Jason to get there because the guy working knew nothing about sportscards and said he couldn't help me. Once Jason finally showed up, I gave him a list of what I was looking for and he simply said he didn't have any of that and went back to doing the Magic thing. He didn't even ask if there was anything else I might be interested in. I did buy a couple cards out of the dollar box and picked up a couple cheap vintage HOFers he had in the one jewelry case of cards he had. They were about to have a Magic tournament so I guess I was not the priority. After I spent my 50.00 there I walked across the street to a hotel to take another 25.00 cab ride back to my hotel.

the part where he would offer you a ride back to your hotel is apparently something he has done away with. The guy who was working knew nothing about that offer.
Yeah, I do apologize, but we are moving away from Sportscards just due to lack of sales, and we had a big Customer Appreciation MTG Tournament tonight. I wish you would have called in advance, and if I was able I would have driven you back to the MGM. We haven't been buying any modern baseball really or opening any product, the demand just hasn't been there while we get 15-20 MTG players per day looking for a bunch of singles for their decks. I didn't want to avoid your post, I just have to say I'm sorry about not having a lot of 2013 baseball singles you needed and if I didn't have the 40 person Magic Tournament going I would have given you a ride back if you could have worked something out with me in advance.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
No, Jeremy of Ultimate Sportscards has that on lockdown for cards, but I've never seen a comic book guy on the show. Hmmm....
Yea there is. It's that one guy; "The Toy Expert". He came in and gave his opinions on an AF #15.

Could you send me a PM and explain to me on how to get started on this business thing. Costs, employees. etc...

Thanks
CxG Voodoo Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #45 (permalink)

I just found another reason to take a vacation to Vegas. Good luck with the store and I wish you good luck sir!
LTB: 13-14 Prizm John Tavares Black Friday (Red) /35, The Walking Dead #114 CGC 9.8, Preacher TPB #2
longisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, I do apologize, but we are moving away from Sportscards just due to lack of sales, and we had a big Customer Appreciation MTG Tournament tonight. I wish you would have called in advance, and if I was able I would have driven you back to the MGM. We haven't been buying any modern baseball really or opening any product, the demand just hasn't been there while we get 15-20 MTG players per day looking for a bunch of singles for their decks. I didn't want to avoid your post, I just have to say I'm sorry about not having a lot of 2013 baseball singles you needed and if I didn't have the 40 person Magic Tournament going I would have given you a ride back if you could have worked something out with me in advance.
Judging by your response to this guy, I have to say that you have great customer service skills. It's a bummer that guy had a bad experience, but it sounds like he stopped by on a crazy night. Seems like a case of unfortunate timing. Hope your shop is doing well and I will definitely stop by if I'm ever in Vegas.
Gus Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:23 AM   #47 (permalink)

sounds good jason. i go to vegas every september for the mr olympia cntest . i will try and stop by.
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote