Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Strain Show Seems Promising

Corey Stoll To Topline FX's 'The Strain', From Guillermo Del Toro & Carlton Cuse - Deadline.com
DNOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Nice! Picked up first couple for $.50 a piece a month or 2 ago because I like del toro's work. Hopefully I can make a buck or 2 on em
ckelly1983pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

This may be worth picking up. They are already starting to rise very quick

THE STRAIN #1 dark horse comics 1:5 variant AND regular NM guillermo del toro
ckelly1983pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

crazy thing is this isn't even an original comic being adapted to tv this time. it is a novel that was adapted to comic form that is now becoming a tv show, and #1 is hitting 20 bucks on ebay already.

i don't think anyone is even thinking or doing due dilligence anymore, it's just as soon as there is a tv or movie announcement people are pulling out 20.00 bills as fast as possible. it is getting stupid at this point. just stupid people spending their stupid money.

it's at the point that i'm about to start a thread to pump true blood and buffy comics. hey guys did you know that the true blood comic has a tv show on hbo?!!??? omgeeeeeeeeeeeez, take all my moniezzzzzzzzz.

maybe they will make harry potter and twilight comics based on a novel, they already had successful movies, so surely any adaptations would be instant 50.00 books on ebay, right? sh!t is getting deep right now.
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I've read the strain early this year and the story was interesting. I'm glad to hear it becoming a tv show and if I may add, FX is really very active with this.

They have a $500,000 budget for costume creation and not only they received a pilot order but a SERIES Order.

A lot of chatter with this book and prices are going up...
bigboytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

I heard plasm is getting turned into a series toooo!

Not

but i could have had a bunch of these at $1 each and now im kicking mysef ! Doh!

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
crazy thing is this isn't even an original comic being adapted to tv this time. it is a novel that was adapted to comic form that is now becoming a tv show, and #1 is hitting 20 bucks on ebay already.

i don't think anyone is even thinking or doing due dilligence anymore, it's just as soon as there is a tv or movie announcement people are pulling out 20.00 bills as fast as possible. it is getting stupid at this point. just stupid people spending their stupid money.

it's at the point that i'm about to start a thread to pump true blood and buffy comics. hey guys did you know that the true blood comic has a tv show on hbo?!!??? omgeeeeeeeeeeeez, take all my moniezzzzzzzzz.

maybe they will make harry potter and twilight comics based on a novel, they already had successful movies, so surely any adaptations would be instant 50.00 books on ebay, right? sh!t is getting deep right now.
I get what you are saying but it's a little bit different, just being, true blood and buffy comics were after a TV show. As well lots of things don't make sense Burt.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Another casting done for this show...

Durand joins Stoll in FX’s ‘Strain’ | Variety

lots of activity this past week...really been pushed hard...

The 1:5 variant is the most sought after issue though as per other forums and is also selling higher than the regular cover..

print run of the 1:5 is said to be 3200

Last edited by bigboytoys; 04-28-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't see any longevity in this. It's based off the book, not the comic. Anyone paying premium is silly
Madrizzle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrizzle1 View Post
I don't see any longevity in this. It's based off the book, not the comic. Anyone paying premium is silly
Old 04-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Found one last thing. I tried my best to research on this and try to catchp up with this. Also some members of the cgc boards that I know are on the lookout and still buying tonnage of this whenever available..

The Strain #1 Starts To Ratchet Up On eBay, From $1 To $13 - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors
Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

I LOVE Vampire stuff.

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l600/Hilfiger1975
Hilfiger1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrizzle1 View Post
I totally agree. Since when do adaptations off novel's become popular? Someone insert *bubble popping* pic. Thank you. lol.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

I actually thought of this too when I first heard about the news of this and thought that it wouldn't last, that it would just be an effect of people looking for the next walking dead etc and not educated enough by the comic itself whether it was based of a novel or what not. It lead us to having speculators and lurkers turn up and hoarding stuff.

On the other side of things too though is that, the WD series would have awakened or made new types of comic hobbyists who would collect and collect anything related to a series.

When it comes to firsts or something out of the extraordinary like "when do adaptations off novels become popular?" or anything that says "it never happened before so it will never happen ever" type of things, I would beg to defer on these. From the start of WD nobody expected to be as popular as it is today. It was really the first modern breakthrough coming from a smaller type market comic publisher. So there will always be a first for everything.

These are just my insights on both sides. All I can say is the market will decide on this one if it will be a hit or miss.

P.S. I still regret not buying these up a month ago when I saw variants at 0.99 hehe

and just like in the sports cards industry, those who miss out bash the product, those who hit it praise it...

My say... let the market decide Good luck to whoever has some..sure would have loved to make 10x profit margin hehe

Last edited by bigboytoys; 04-29-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
Someone insert *bubble popping* pic. Thank you. lol.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

I don't think people care if a comic is based off a novel. The TV show is based off the comic and novel. Its more important if they like the story and enjoy/believe in the franchise. I personally really enjoy the story and love Del Toro and Cuse's work, so for me it's a win/win. I'm a huge horror fan so I love this stuff. Does collecting comics make sense at all? You guys buy brand new lamented pieces of paper encased in plastic so they are unreadable and pay a premium for it.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

So any thoughts on Strain: The Fall coming out in July? I actually hadn't even heard about this series before I saw it in the new Previews (that I can remember anyway). I thought the story sounded interesting and really like Del Toro. They do pimp it out with a big New Series on FX! ad in Previews though so I'm sure it will probably have a huge print run. I'll probably grab 3 or 4 copies anyway.
techtre2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hopefully it turns out good

I got a good deal on these.

The Strain Show Seems Promising-strain.jpg
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Found a couple of updates on this:

Another casting news (July 10, 2013)

Guillermo del Toro Sets ‘Pacific Rim’s’ Robert Maillet As Main ‘Strain’ Villain (July 11, 2013)

Comics or whatever aside..I am a little excited about this because of...

Mia Maestro!!! Loved her in her stint in White Collar

Last edited by bigboytoys; 07-15-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

If you think the comics or the TV show is going to be a bust think again. They just added Sean Astin to the cast! So it now includes these actors; Corey Stoll, Mia Maestro, John Hurt, Miguel Gomez, Kevin Durand, Jonathan Hyde, Richard Sammel, Robert Maillet (Pacific Rim), Lauren Lee Smith, Roger Cross, and now Sean Astin.

Its set to film the pilot in September and set up writers and film time set aside for season.
Sean Astin joins cast of Toronto-shot ‘The Strain’ | Globalnews.ca
natevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Woo Hoo!! I just got a #1 Variant graded 9.8 and picked up a few SDCC variants of The Fall.