Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile LBSB333's FCBD Excitement

What a day today. I swear L.A. was like it's own spread out comic book convention with everything that was happening! I was able to check out 4 stores today:

Golden Apple Comics

These guys did a great job setting up for FCBD. Golden Apple kicked it off with a signing by Ugly Doll Co-Creator David Horvath. He signed copies of the FCBD Ugly Doll comic for everyone, so I got one and my daughter got one. My daughter wanted an Ugly Doll toy, so we got one signed by him. Super cool guy.

In addition, they had Cristos Gage, the writer for Absolution signing his FCBD issue. At noon they had Polarity writer Max Bemis signing. He was awesome. I let him know that the junkies over here were loving the book.

The best part is that I was able to get one book CGC'd. He saw the signing window, and decided to add his own little sketch to it. This one is gonna be sweet!!!

I mentioned in another post that a police chase ended at a comic book store. It was this one. Someone being chased by multiple LAPD cars and a helicopter decided it would be a great idea to jump out of their jeep and let it roll onto the sidewalk where people were waiting in line for a Geoff Johns signing. Thank goodness nobody was hurt. The cops nabbed this douchebag immediately, and luckily it didn't disrupt the festivities.

You can read more about it here: Hollywood Car Chase Ends with Crash in Front of Crowd | KTLA 5

This was such a great time. They had a ton of things happening for all ages. Everyone was limited to 4 FCBD books, but they actually had other copies that everybody got like the Ugly Doll, Thanos book and Superman book.

And that was one shop...
"He went from sacking quarterbacks to tackling crime" - NFL Superpro #1
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/
LBSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Fun Times !
siro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default The Comic Bug

The Comic Bug was next!

They had a limit of 4 free comics, but regular customers like myself got 5 books AND didn't have to wait in line. In addition to everything else happening in the store, they rented another empty area in the complex for their "Bonus Room". This was like it's own mini Artists Alley. There must have been at least 10 writers/artists signing and sketching. And it was all free!!

I was able to get a few sketches. First one was by a guy named of Jeff Stokely. He'll been on a new book being released by Boom called Six Gun Gorilla. Here's a super sweet sketch of one of the characters.

Got another sketch of Wolverine done by local artist Robert Zailo. Very nice!

And Scott Koblish was in house again. He had a bunch of great sketches he did for people. I asked him for an Ultron drawing on my AoU blank. I think this turned out GREAT.

The artists and writers were just great all around. These guys were here for hours meeting and greeting the fans. Afterwards, the Comic Bug had a live band for a FCBD after-party. As you can see though, my son wasn't interested in any kind of after party LOL.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default 3C California Comics and Collectables

3rd stop was at a local favorite called 3C California Comics and Collectables. They're fairly new, so they didn't have as much as the other shops. They went through just about all free books by the time I got there, but still had some guests. The first was Smallville writer Bryan Miller. He signed a couple of Smallville books for me, but he also did this cool little sketch of Batman.

Another local comic book talent was in attendance by the name of Zaine Degaine. He's got a Kickstart project for his own book. I missed the opportunity to get in on the first issue, but I'll donate to the 2nd issue. He did this Wonder Woman sketch for me for free.

AND besides the books, artist and writer, SPIDER-MAN was hanging out there!

There was another shop I visited called Cool Cat Comics. They literally opened up 2 weeks ago, so they didn't have any of the freebies. But they hooked me up with a free couple of books.

All in all it was a GREAT day. The best part was getting my kids involved with the events. They're the future of this business, and I want them to see that comics are cool, fun and exciting. Time to share the good times...another post incoming...
Old 05-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siro123 View Post
Fun Times !

Thanks man!!!! Forgot to post the link to all of my pictures if anyone wants to check out my pickups from that day. My kids got a bunch of free books that I didn't post. My apologies on the pictures being out of order; stupid Photobucket doesn't know how to maintain the order from iPhoto...

FCBD 2013 Los Angeles Photos by pablogarzajr | Photobucket
Old 05-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Wow, thanks for sharing!! Congrats on meeting Bemis, that'll be a great looking book when you get it back!!
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

For the most part I enjoy living in "middle of nowhere" mid-state Illinois. But, when I see all the awesome comic shops and events going on here in the forums it makes me so jealous!
techtre2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtre2003 View Post
For the most part I enjoy living in "middle of nowhere" mid-state Illinois. But, when I see all the awesome comic shops and events going on here in the forums it makes me so jealous!
Reminds me of the phrase, be the change you want to see. Meaning, maybe this is your opportunity to make that happen where you live. Open up your own comic shop and create some magic for the comic lovers in your neck of the woods?!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

I like Jeff Stokely's art. Nice style. Just like my kid more interested in a juice box than looking at comics.
DNOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Reminds me of the phrase, be the change you want to see. Meaning, maybe this is your opportunity to make that happen where you live. Open up your own comic shop and create some magic for the comic lovers in your neck of the woods?!
I'm not really at a place financially in my life where I feel I could do that; but I'm still young and it's always in the back of my mind as something I'd like to do someday. Plus, the only town even close to me that could support a comic shop (and that's because of a University there) already has a shop. Maybe when he decided to retire I can take over there
techtre2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
Wow, thanks for sharing!! Congrats on meeting Bemis, that'll be a great looking book when you get it back!!
Thanks man!! He was a really nice guy. I feel like such a n00b though; I had no idea he was the lead singer for a band LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
I need to take this advice and apply it to some other areas of my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNOC View Post
I like Jeff Stokely's art. Nice style. Just like my kid more interested in a juice box than looking at comics.
Hahaha! I saw the pic of your kids with the Sesame Street book and loved it. On the way back from the shop, my son was "reading" his Batman comic book. Glad to see the kiddos having some fun at least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtre2003 View Post
I'm not really at a place financially in my life where I feel I could do that; but I'm still young and it's always in the back of my mind as something I'd like to do someday. Plus, the only town even close to me that could support a comic shop (and that's because of a University there) already has a shop. Maybe when he decided to retire I can take over there
That's definitely a good point. L.A. is big enough to support multiple places, but even with a large population some shops are still suffering. One day when we win the lottery man!