Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default FCBD Giveaway Contest! One good thing about FCBD

Fellow junkies, I think many of us will agree that this is hands down one of the best online communities. We've got a bunch of great members in this forum that help each other out. From grading and pressing books, getting books signed, helping each other complete our own PCs and even good 'ol moral support when things are going well. While I couldn't get a bunch of free books for people, I'm going to share something from my picks ups today via a contest. Here's the rules:

1. Post something good that happened today on FCBD. Even if you didn't go to any shops, post something positive about the day. It can seriously be ANYTHING.

2. Winner will be selected randomly based on their post number in this thread. Only your first two posts will be accepted as entries, but feel free to reply and comment if you want!

3. Contest ends at 9 PM PST Monday, May 6th.

Now here's the prize up for grabs. The winner of the contest will have a SIGNED copy of Polarity #1 sent to their home.

Good luck everybody!!
"He went from sacking quarterbacks to tackling crime" - NFL Superpro #1
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/
LBSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Dddddddddddd

Last edited by BCush56; 05-05-2013 at 01:54 AM.
BCush56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

I went to my local shop and picked up a few of the fcbd books, but even better the half price books next door had been sent two pallets of comics that Dallas area 1/2 price books had acquired when a local comic store had closed.. Best part all books .25 cents spent 14 dollars in 25 cent comics. Got some really nice stuff
BCush56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to underdog25358

Wow that's awesome, thanks for a great contest.

As far as my FCBD; I worked all day, but it was fairly slow day so I kept up with the boards and got to see all of everyone else's experiences and my brother picked me up a few comics I was hoping to get
Old 05-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Heres what happened to me on FCBD..I got to go fishing with my son with autism, he really only liked it for 20 mins of the 3 hour event, but he was there with the wife and I, and to me, it was worth much more than comic..All in all, whether I got any comics or not. I got to spend some time with my recovering child outside. It was wonderful
kyleg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

I found a cool new shop in Fort Worth.

And it's by the Zoo. So we went to the zoo.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

I actually had a really nice FCBD. I arrived at the Local shop and was supprised to meet an old friend from high school. It was nice to talk with him and catch up. Also Bought a few packs of Ironman 3 Trading cards and Pulled a dual autograph from it.
dannyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

I spent about 2 hours in the shop going through back issues because they had a 50% off sale! No big keys or any "steals" but I did come away with 2 plastic grocery bags full of books to fill some holes in the PC and some just because they had cool cover art.
techtre2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Have to say a good part of FCBD is the shops with 50% off and 25 cent books. Love rolling out requesting a large box having spent only $60.
Best part of FCBD???
Picking up a MINT Sesame Street FCBD NO STAMP:
DNOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

I wasnt able to go due to family. But I was able to order a few from graham crackers comics cause of a boardie post which I appreciate.
mb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

The best part for me about the day was that I was probably in the shop about 2 hours and the majority of the people coming in were bringing in their kids for the free comics. Plus, most of the people coming in also purchased other books and toys while they were there so it was good for the shop too.

It was so cool to see all the younger kids getting so excited about comics. The best was a little girl in there who was maybe 10 years old going through the Wonder Woman issues and actually knew quite a bit about the characters and the storylines. I was impressed.
techtre2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

good thing
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

sorry shooting blanks

got grandma her mothers day gift - a new tv too bad she never changes the channel bast the basic stuff and yes shes got like 300 other channels

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

My LCS got most of downtown involved. They had a map that they gave out, it listed all the local businesses that the had spread out their free comics to. Everyone had to go around the downtown area to pick up free comics. It was great for the other local businesses to benefit from all the extra traffic. They had sales to coincide with FCBD, and some had freebies as well ( the ice cream shop made superman ice cream, and were giving out mini cones).
I thought it was a great idea, and the LCS owner said there was more shops interested than free comics. He said other businesses want in on it next year, and that he'll have to start planning in January.

My favorite part was the day after, when i got to take all the kid comic books and pass them out to my friends kids. They all loved them and were so excited.

Last edited by Unlimitedab; 05-06-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Unlimitedab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

I spent 3 hours during FCBD with my 10 year old daughter at 4
Different stores.

She loves comics and she loves going with me.

As I found books, she insisted on carrying them!

J-
** GO GAMECOCKS!!!! **
Jgil316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

By the time I was able to make it to some FCBD shops they were all out. So I went to my sports card shop instead for what has felt super long time since I last went. I opened a few packs of Tribute and got just regular jersey card of David Price and a Yu Darvish jersey /25. I may not have had very much luck as far as comics and cards but what the best part about the day was volunteering at the local food bank for almost 3 hours. Thanks
Old 05-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Seven54k

FCBD was amazing. My first one. Went to two shops, when I had only planned for one. Adam Kubert not doing sketches bummed me. So I got some new 52 issues for a dollar, and a Green Arrow Sketch by Steve Conley. Then made my way to another shop. Got a cool Power Girl sketch and Batman Beyond sketch. Met some awesome cosplayers and local artist. And ended that day with Iron Man 3.

So all in all. It was everything I hoped it would be.
Seven54k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

My LCS allowed us one copy of each book...
Jperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

I was sick. My girlfriend came over cause I was sick and brought me soup, ice cream, and cough drops. Made my day.
gilbo4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Oh in addition. I also got ,3 free comics. I chose infinity, Ted, and nickelodeans avatar(what can I say, I was a sucker for that show.) My GF chose, infinity, the Matt hawkins book, and Grimm 0. Max Beemis is a huge inspiration to me. Say anything was an amazing band, and when he sobered up their music changed a lot. It lost a lot of it's raw passion, and I can see him writing about it in Polarity. Here's hoping, awesome contest! Thank you
gilbo4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

I met Valiant artist Lewis LaRoca ... great guy!
(pics later)
cmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #21 (permalink)

the best part was a garage sale i went to in between comic shops......bought a collection.....about 400 comics.....$130 for it all....came with Guardians of the Galaxy #1 - 22....lots of Nova, Rocket Raccoon #1, X-factor lot including #6, Army of Darkness....tons of Green Lantern....Brightest Day....
jszczerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jszczerman View Post
the best part was a garage sale i went to in between comic shops......bought a collection.....about 400 comics.....$130 for it all....came with Guardians of the Galaxy #1 - 22....lots of Nova, Rocket Raccoon #1, X-factor lot including #6, Army of Darkness....tons of Green Lantern....Brightest Day....
Woohoo! Buying collections can be a blast!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #23 (permalink)

I went to a few stores one would only let you have 2 books per person while another one would let you get all the ones you wanted it was just limited to a household which was cool. Picked up a few deadpool variants in a buy 2 get 1 free sale. Tony Moore was at the final shop and I got him to sign my deadpools and the FCBD walking deads and I got a venom sketch. My wife also got a pic with a guy dressed as deadpool all in all pretty sweet for my first FCBD.
Funkdilla3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #24 (permalink)

It was nice, my first FCBD. I went to several different places and picked up a good variety of books, gave some of the kid ones to my niece. It was interesting comparing the different ways shops take care of business that day.

Unfortunately couldn't find a Tick or a lot of the others i wanted to grab in any of the shops, but can't really complain.
2staples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ychui1

Thanks for the contest. FCBD day was an exhausting day for me so I never went to get any of the FCBDs. The day was beautiful and I got a lot of real-life stuff accomplished.
ychui1 is offline   Reply With Quote