Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 05:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Talking 30,000 comic book collection and no silver, gold age? Brillance or insanity?

Hello Fellow Junkies,

So I watch tv rarely these days and I came across a man that has a 30,000 comic book collection. Now by most accounts I would be impressed by this but then in watching the show came a revelation.......

The collection is basically totally modern age!

Even the host of the show was not impressed

'Collection Intervention': 30,000 Comic Books Are Taking Over This Couple's House (VIDEO)

Collection Intervention _ Bonus Scene: Joe's Comic Collection - Video Dailymotion

So he decides to trade nearly half of his collection for good condition Hulk #181 which is honestly a good trade.........but.........there is a signature on the book and the book is not cgc'ed! Now, I may be a bit miffed due to me losing out on a hulk 181 today......go figure right!

Collection Intervention _ Trouble Saying Goodbye - Video Dailymotion

But what serious collector does not have any silver age or seek to own some? And then trades in nearly half of his modern collection for a non-cgc'ed hulk 181? I mean honestly.....what the #!#$ was this guy thinking?

Now do you guys think that he is truly a collector? Or someone who has no clue, and is collecting the wrong thing for all the wrong reasons? I mean in my honest opinion, the best (and longest) stories were from the silver age era.... I loved the Silver Surfer #1 origin story!

One of my favorite stories!

So, let me hear your thoughts guys....

Last edited by Phanos; 05-21-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Phanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think a 30,000 book collection is worth more than a hulk 181..Sell them all for .10 and make 3000...
kyleg40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Writing on books...ugh.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think everyone collects how and what they want. There I's no comic age limit associated with collecting. You might like hulk while I like x men. Either way we still collect comics.
Deliverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverence View Post
I think everyone collects how and what they want. There I's no comic age limit associated with collecting. You might like hulk while I like x men. Either way we still collect comics.
True. Also, it might have been all he could afford at the time. I know I was in that boat for a while, since I started collecting pretty young.

Eventually, I sold off some of the late-Copper/early-Modern books I had and donated the rest. I am using that money along with the money from flipping every Modern that gets a whiff from Hollywood to grab Bronze and Silver Keys, while picking up Copper keys cheap along the way.

Tastes change and people become more discerning in their choices. There was a time, I would have given anything for that WildC.A.T.S. gold foil cover. Now I try to erase that from my memory.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well for me (this may offend the cgc crowd) I have a few nice x-men keys in my pc that I don't have cgc'd and probably never will cause hey its a comic book I might want to carefully open it and read it. You can't do that with the plastic case. Some people are true collectors that want to touch, feel, smell, and read their pc. I mean its a hunk of plastic I guess some like to look at the art of front but I kinda worry that cgc might diminish the community.
natevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natevegas View Post
Well for me (this may offend the cgc crowd) I have a few nice x-men keys in my pc that I don't have cgc'd and probably never will cause hey its a comic book I might want to carefully open it and read it. You can't do that with the plastic case. Some people are true collectors that want to touch, feel, smell, and read their pc. I mean its a hunk of plastic I guess some like to look at the art of front but I kinda worry that cgc might diminish the community.
I couldnt agree more. I am very proud of my comic book collection and have some great early silver age books (key books and 1st appearances) and i have no plans on getting them graded.

i respect the grading system, but i dont want a hunk of plastic in my collection. Thanks!
DarthMills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I definitely understand where you are coming from. I know a bunch of people who will never slab their books. Everybody collects in different ways and enjoys their collection in different ways.

I don't think CGC will diminish the community. I think it adds to the community in a way. It's a different way to collect. Also, you can always crack the slab and put the book in a mylar if you acquire someone's graded book.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I actually prefer raw books, for bronze and older ages. Being able to touch and flip through these books is more gratifying then staring at it through plastic. It is all about personal preference really.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

He could of had some nice stuff in that collection plus it would make a good back issue inventory for any comic store
Muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote