Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My in Depth Man of Steel Review (no spoilers)

Hey guys! Phanos here! Decided to do a review before I hit the hay or grass (I am in hawaii, oh never mind...........).

So what did I think of it.......

I thought it was a solid movie! Was it the likes of Dark Knight, Sin City.......ah....close......but no.

Honestly though, I thought that they got the casting right for superman. I mean he really did old reeves proud. He has solid acting and really gave superman real heart. That and he was ripped for this role!

compared to..........

Now I will forewarn you..........This is not a superman you have ever seen on screen. This is not George or Christopher Reeves, and not the one I will not even bother to mention..... If he is close to anything, I would think it would be smallvile superman.

He is filled with emotions and confusion. And also a bit of a temper, lol. Watch it and you will see what I mean.......... he he he

That being said....

This superman is by far the darkest superman I have ever witnessed. Just like the nolan batman being trained by the league of assassins! But truly, these are darker times we live in now in my opinion. And darker times call for darker heroes. Heroes that believe that along with black and white, there are grays as well, just like life honestly.
This is a superman that could truly be in reality. Making choices, deciding what to do with little time to spare. And living with those choices. Just like we all do..... Truly, some of you at the end of the film may look like.....huh? And others will be like, honestly, if superman were truly real. He would be that way.
The first half of the film plays a lot like smallville, and the beginning showing superman's origins. Now the true breakout role for me was Jor El!

JUST AMAZING!

This version of Jor-El finally showed that he is truly superman's father!!!! Watch the beginning and you will see what I mean! I mean honestly I haven't seen Russell Crowe this bad*** since gladiator. And you can tell he took some elements from that character into this one! So if you liked him in gladiator, you will like him in this. I honestly just wished his role was larger!

Now for a very important element for me.......the villain. Villain's I believe are becoming more and more important as time goes on in movies due to such breakout roles as the joker by Heath Ledger!

well remembered!

Now...........did Michael Shannon deliver.......yes and no. I loved his intensity and his physical prowess but for me he just didn't have the intellect and combat strategy that Terence Stamp oozed in superman 2.
This Zod is a one direction kind of guy, doesn't use much cunning or persuasion. He believes more in his physical strength and his resolve above all else to see him through.

THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER ZOD!! KNEEL BEFORE THE TRUE ZOD!!!

Now, there is a hidden villain here that you may miss that was in superman 2 and people were asking on the net where was he. He is in the film, but hidden, just pay attention and you will know by his actions who he is......
And Lois Lane......... for me there just was no true chemistry between her and superman, it felt forced and rushed.... Just like batman begins. I think this Lois Lane will be replaced and not missed much. I mean her acting was substandard and she just didn't make me believe that superman could fall head over heels for her

She would have made a better choice
Rosamund Pike

Now there are many new elements that I did like about the film. Like how it would be for superman growing up physiologically. How his body reacts with his powers. How he controls them. All of that was very realistic!
Also his interactions with Jonathan Kent which was another break out role for me! Kevin Costner really shined as superman's father helping him understand himself and his powers. Honestly, the most heartfelt scenes are with Jonathan Kent and Clark.

Did an amazing job!!!

Now the action scenes and special effects.........WOW!!! THE MUSIC IS EPIC!!!! I mean seeing superman flying and the fight scenes make the wait for technology to catch up with bringing superman truly from comic to film well worth it! I mean when he is flying and fighting you will be totally immersed into the film!

So to summarize I give superman an 8 out of 10. It's a great summer movie and one that I will buy, but I think with a few tweaks it will be epic! Like they did from batman begins to dark knight!
Also, do not stay after the credits, they are very long and there is nothing to see, only marvel is good for that. Just walk out.....

I also wish to note that is it only logical to have old lex for the next one. And that should be played by.............

Bryan Cranston!

He has the cunning, the wit, the evil genius! Just watch breaking bad! And I would love to see him go from a ruthless version of Tony Stark to a obsessed off his rocker Luthor hell bent on destroying superman!

Please watch this link if you need further proof!
Breaking Bad (Walt's business meeting with Tuco!) - YouTube

Thanks for reading!!!

Last edited by Phanos; 06-22-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Phanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Walt as Lex.. Genius!

I agree about Costner. Everything he touches is gold. Even Waterworld, shut up haters!
Old 06-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was sold with Superman rocking the sweet beard.
longisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Walt as Lex.. Genius!

I agree about Costner. Everything he touches is gold. Even Waterworld, shut up haters!
First movie I saw him in was Silverado. I remember thinking he was pretty funny. He went on to be huge after that, and seemingly appeared to be in every movie from '89-'94, which to me was a little much, imo. My Bodyguard put it over the top for me, didn't care to see Costner films after that.
That said, I thought he did okay. Most of the casting seemed off to me, but they nailed it with Henry Cavill.
orion7950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

You had me at hello
kyleg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wow Cranston as Lex? THAT I would pay to see!

I still haven't seen this yet (yes Indy I saw World War Z before Superman so don't hate me too much ). Talking with friends, they were not as impressed about MoS. My LCS owner told me that he didn't like it too much, BUT that if I'm going to see it I should watch it in the theater. He didn't give me too many details on his thoughts as he didn't want to spoil it. So at some point, I will sneak away from home and watch this movie.
"He went from sacking quarterbacks to tackling crime" - NFL Superpro #1
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/
LBSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

It turns out the man of steel is actually, none other than, Superman from another world..Clark Kent is actually superman..sorry shouldn't spoil it
Old 06-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

I came into the movie with high expectations and honestly it was a bit of a letdown. Don't get me wrong, it was still a good movie but the ending kind of threw me off. This isn't a Spoiler since it was in the trailer but just in case here's a warning. *SPOILER* When the girl said "I think he's kind of hot" totally changed the mood of the movie "/SPOILER* and the very end I thought was a bit cheesy as well. Other then that I thought it was decent.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSB333 View Post

I still haven't seen this yet (yes Indy I saw World War Z before Superman so don't hate me too much ). Talking with friends, they were not as impressed about MoS. My LCS owner told me that he didn't like it too much, BUT that if I'm going to see it I should watch it in the theater. He didn't give me too many details on his thoughts as he didn't want to spoil it. So at some point, I will sneak away from home and watch this movie.
Like I said good, but not great...... Think batman begins.......starting at a slow pace but still is a burn. I think if they build on this, the sequel will be epic!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers04 View Post
I came into the movie with high expectations and honestly it was a bit of a letdown. Don't get me wrong, it was still a good movie but the ending kind of threw me off. This isn't a Spoiler since it was in the trailer but just in case here's a warning. *SPOILER* When the girl said "I think he's kind of hot" totally changed the mood of the movie "/SPOILER* and the very end I thought was a bit cheesy as well. Other then that I thought it was decent.
I agree first half was good, like I said in my review....... Second half began to fell off. Just like batman begins honestly.........
Old 06-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Its a classic case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Make it like the Christpher Reeves movies and they would have said it was boring and doing the same ol same ol. Do something a little different and darker and that gets criticized. People like to "spoon" about everything, I thought it was an entertaining movie while my friends thought it was just ok. Oh well.
natevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natevegas View Post
Its a classic case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Make it like the Christpher Reeves movies and they would have said it was boring and doing the same ol same ol. Do something a little different and darker and that gets criticized. People like to "spoon" about everything, I thought it was an entertaining movie while my friends thought it was just ok. Oh well.
I liked the dark superman and it was a solid movie don't get me wrong....... I just would of liked Zod to act like a true general, like in the beginning (you know what I mean by that)
Then to do what they did.........
Old 06-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

I liked the crazy looking Zod for a change. lol
natevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

This movie wasn't half the letdown WW Z was..That was just not good at all for the amt of time it took to bring it to the screen
Old 06-24-2013, 02:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleg40 View Post
This movie wasn't half the letdown WW Z was..That was just not good at all for the amt of time it took to bring it to the screen
Good to know, I almost went to see it
Old 06-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Walt as Lex.. Genius!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSB333 View Post
Jesse Pinkman thinks so, too!
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by orion7950; 06-29-2013 at 09:11 AM.
orion7950 is offline   Reply With Quote