Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My Birthday Haul!!!!!!!!!

Hey GUYS! Phanos here! I had an awesome birthday! And here is my haul, please don't ask how much I spent......it was too damn much! LOL

To quote Hilfiger:

You keep buying like that you're going to put yourself back into a financial hole.

So here are my comics that I got from fellow junkies, kyleg40 and madrizzle. Thanks guys!!!!!

These I got from the local comic store. X-men was $8, she hulk $2, last of us variant I got from work, rest were cover.

These my wife bought me, I traded in my spiderman variant hawkeye #1 (that's another story)

Got these from work.......

Now...... On to the big books...... My dealer gave me these for free for my birthday!

These are my purchases........I am broke for a while.......LOL

These are my big grabs, both daredevils are in great shape and the Daredevil #111 has the stamp (what else would be the point right)

So do you guys think I got some great investment book with the last 3 pics? There is a story behind the bullseye book, I got it for $60.00 along with this book for $2.50.

Thanks again guys for the b-day wishes, now working on the giveaway and the list............back to work, lol
Well, at least I didn't get the Avengers Kingsize Annual #10 or Ms. Marvel #18, lol.....I guess....lol. Still have them in my pull though.

Phanos

almost forgot, no true Thanos die-hard fan can not have this in his/her collection. According to my dealer it's the Mark Jewelers insert version. Lower print run. I honestly just got it because it was in good condition. Does anyone have any info on these variants???

Last edited by Phanos; 06-24-2013 at 05:03 AM.
Phanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nice pick ups !
How much did you spend ?
siro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siro123 View Post
Nice pick ups !
How much did you spend ?
U funny, let's just say, I don't want a bank quote until July, LOL
Phanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

good haul (it nice to see a full size Last of us variant!! - If you saw in another thread I ended up with mini versions!!)
That's really nice of the lads with the free comics & your wife got you a lovely set of Hawkeyes.
You have me intrigued, what's the story behind the Daredevils then?
talktoofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Very nice pickups
kyleg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just fount this info on another site... Love the black flag things those are cool.

Information pertaining to Mark Jeweler Variants in DC Comics:

When I started looking around the internet for information on DC Comics that contain the Mark Jeweler variants, I was surprised to see how little information seemed to exist on the topic. Therefore, I am providing the following information for anyone who might be interested.

I mostly collect Batman, Detective, Superman, Action, Green Lantern, and Justice League Comics. Of those titles, I have approximately 100 issues with the Mark Jeweler insert, so I can say Iíve spent a great deal of time looking for them and researching the topic (more than I care to admit!).

As already noted in the articles above, the Mark Jeweler variant is simply a comic book that contains a Mark Jeweler advertisement that was inserted into the centerfold of the comic book. For the first few years they appeared in DC Comics, the ads were printed on a heavier-than-normal cardboard paper and in later years the ads were printed on thin, slick paper. I would say they only occur in approximately 5% or less of any given issue, which makes them pretty hard to find. As near as I can tell, the very first Mark Jeweler inserts were inserted into DC Comics with the cover date of August 1972. I have in my possession a copy of GI Combat 155 (dated Aug/Sep 1972) and House of Secrets 99 (dated August 1972), each containing the earliest known version of the Mark Jeweler insert. The Mark Jeweler inserts in both GI Combat 155 and House of Secrets 99 are identical. Jeweler inserts continued to appear in DC Comics up to and including issues with a July 1986 cover date. From August 1972 through July 1986, the only month that Iíve been unable to find a Mark Jeweler variant was April 1975. Also, it appears to me that Mark Jeweler inserts were never inserted into DC's square bound giants nor into Dollar Comics. I donít know whether or not the Mark Jeweler insert was placed into all the other non-giant issues that were published from August 1972 through July 1986, or if the inserts were instead targeted for only certain titles for any given month.

Starting with issues dated October 1980, direct sales copies (i.e., copies that were made mostly for comic book shops) were distinguished from newsstand copies. At that time, DC Comics started marking newsstand copies with bar codes in the UPC box on the cover, while direct sales copies did not have bar codes but instead had symbols and/or catch phrases in them. I believe the Mark Jeweler inserts were only placed in newsstand copies. I have never seen a direct sales copy with the Jeweler insert inside for issues dated October 1980 and newer. This makes sense to me, since I understand the advertisements were targeted for newsstands that were close to military personnel (instead of the direct sales audience).

I think it is interesting to note that DC Comics issues dated May 1984 had a regular one page Mark Jeweler ad in them. This included both newsstand and direct sales copies. All other Mark Jeweler ads that I have ever seen in DC Comics came as an additional insert that was placed in the centerfold of the comic.

I have a handy spreadsheet which shows each month that the Mark Jeweler variants appeared in Batman, Detective, Superman, Action and Justice League comic books. The sheet shows issues that I have in my possession, plus a listing of issues for which I have reasonable evidence that a Mark Jeweler variant exists. I also searched several other titles to see if I could find a jeweler variant for every single month from August 1972 up until the time they stopped being made. Those issues that I found containing Jeweler variants are also included in my spreadsheet. If you would like a copy of that spreadsheet, feel free to email me at the address shown below.

Pricing of DC Comics Jeweler variants: In general, I think that people donít usually pay a whole lot more for Jeweler variants because there isnít a whole lot of demand for them. I usually buy them for about the same price as guide and sometimes as much as 20% more than guide if I really want the variant. If priced more than 20 percent above guide, they seem to not sell quickly. When priced about the same as guide, I believe Jeweler variants will sell quicker than the same issue without the variant. If anyone has any Batman, Detective, Superman, Action or Justice League Jeweler variants that they want to sell to me, feel free to contact me. My address is kwticknor @ aol.com

I also want to acknowledge Jerome Wenker, who in my opinion is the king of variants. He has helped me immensely with finding variants that I needed.

Kirk Ticknor
BCush56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCush56 View Post
Just fount this info on another site... Love the black flag things those are cool.

Information pertaining to Mark Jeweler Variants in DC Comics:

When I started looking around the internet for information on DC Comics that contain the Mark Jeweler variants, I was surprised to see how little information seemed to exist on the topic. Therefore, I am providing the following information for anyone who might be interested.

I mostly collect Batman, Detective, Superman, Action, Green Lantern, and Justice League Comics. Of those titles, I have approximately 100 issues with the Mark Jeweler insert, so I can say Iíve spent a great deal of time looking for them and researching the topic (more than I care to admit!).

As already noted in the articles above, the Mark Jeweler variant is simply a comic book that contains a Mark Jeweler advertisement that was inserted into the centerfold of the comic book. For the first few years they appeared in DC Comics, the ads were printed on a heavier-than-normal cardboard paper and in later years the ads were printed on thin, slick paper. I would say they only occur in approximately 5% or less of any given issue, which makes them pretty hard to find. As near as I can tell, the very first Mark Jeweler inserts were inserted into DC Comics with the cover date of August 1972. I have in my possession a copy of GI Combat 155 (dated Aug/Sep 1972) and House of Secrets 99 (dated August 1972), each containing the earliest known version of the Mark Jeweler insert. The Mark Jeweler inserts in both GI Combat 155 and House of Secrets 99 are identical. Jeweler inserts continued to appear in DC Comics up to and including issues with a July 1986 cover date. From August 1972 through July 1986, the only month that Iíve been unable to find a Mark Jeweler variant was April 1975. Also, it appears to me that Mark Jeweler inserts were never inserted into DC's square bound giants nor into Dollar Comics. I donít know whether or not the Mark Jeweler insert was placed into all the other non-giant issues that were published from August 1972 through July 1986, or if the inserts were instead targeted for only certain titles for any given month.

Starting with issues dated October 1980, direct sales copies (i.e., copies that were made mostly for comic book shops) were distinguished from newsstand copies. At that time, DC Comics started marking newsstand copies with bar codes in the UPC box on the cover, while direct sales copies did not have bar codes but instead had symbols and/or catch phrases in them. I believe the Mark Jeweler inserts were only placed in newsstand copies. I have never seen a direct sales copy with the Jeweler insert inside for issues dated October 1980 and newer. This makes sense to me, since I understand the advertisements were targeted for newsstands that were close to military personnel (instead of the direct sales audience).

I think it is interesting to note that DC Comics issues dated May 1984 had a regular one page Mark Jeweler ad in them. This included both newsstand and direct sales copies. All other Mark Jeweler ads that I have ever seen in DC Comics came as an additional insert that was placed in the centerfold of the comic.

I have a handy spreadsheet which shows each month that the Mark Jeweler variants appeared in Batman, Detective, Superman, Action and Justice League comic books. The sheet shows issues that I have in my possession, plus a listing of issues for which I have reasonable evidence that a Mark Jeweler variant exists. I also searched several other titles to see if I could find a jeweler variant for every single month from August 1972 up until the time they stopped being made. Those issues that I found containing Jeweler variants are also included in my spreadsheet. If you would like a copy of that spreadsheet, feel free to email me at the address shown below.

Pricing of DC Comics Jeweler variants: In general, I think that people donít usually pay a whole lot more for Jeweler variants because there isnít a whole lot of demand for them. I usually buy them for about the same price as guide and sometimes as much as 20% more than guide if I really want the variant. If priced more than 20 percent above guide, they seem to not sell quickly. When priced about the same as guide, I believe Jeweler variants will sell quicker than the same issue without the variant. If anyone has any Batman, Detective, Superman, Action or Justice League Jeweler variants that they want to sell to me, feel free to contact me. My address is kwticknor @ aol.com

I also want to acknowledge Jerome Wenker, who in my opinion is the king of variants. He has helped me immensely with finding variants that I needed.

Kirk Ticknor
Snazzy info, thanks!

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l600/Hilfiger1975
Hilfiger1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you ever want to trade that Caliber Presents #1, let me know.

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l600/Hilfiger1975
Hilfiger1975 is offline   Reply With Quote