Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 04:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why are some first worth less than others even with movie appearances

I was doing research on prices of first appearances of characters that appear in movies. I found that there seems to be some differences in the amount of price appreciation for different characters.

For example, strange tales 110 has been getting nearly USD900-1k with a 6.0-6.5 grade while tales of suspense is only getting around USD300-USD400 for equivalent grade.

Both Dr Strange and Black Widow are not A class characters. Both are brought into investors' sights due to movie appearance.

Why is one so highly valued over the other? Is it because black widow is only part of the team while dr strange might be starring on his own show?
aaronchua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

That's just the market. Dr. Strange has been confirmed to have an upcoming solo dolo movie. Black Widow is just speculated on.

But even cheaper priced titles. Why is Thor #344 double Thor #347? Both are confirmed for Thor 2.

Illuminati.
tommyVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

In the guide the first black widow is currently $1200 in near mint, while the first doctor strange is $4800 in near mint. I would assume because the doctor strange is worth more is why it goes for more.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

maybe black widow is considered a tier bellow doc strange ?

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would venture to guess that Dr. Strange is WAY more popular in the Marvel Universe than Black Widow. Sure she's been a well-known established character, but everyone loves her in the movies because she's really just eye candy - she's not starring in her own film (yet?) - being the lead character vs secondary has a lot to do with it.

Give fanboys the choice, I'd imagine most would rather see Dr. Strange than Black Widow. Apples and oranges.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would love to see a "buddy cop" movie with Black Widow and Hawkeye, Beverly Hills cops style!
DigsUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

I wonder if sex has anything to do with it. Traditionally, male characters tend to do better in terms of price increases, all else equal.

For example, for the GOTG movie, I think Glamora's first appearance experience the least increase among all the characters. Undervalued?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronchua View Post
I wonder if sex has anything to do with it. Traditionally, male characters tend to do better in terms of price increases, all else equal.

For example, for the GOTG movie, I think Glamora's first appearance experience the least increase among all the characters. Undervalued?
Once people realize the badassness of Gamora, they will NEED to have her first appearence
Old 07-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

That was my first thought.
techtre2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsUT View Post
Once people realize the badassness of Gamora, they will NEED to have her first appearence
This .... I have 5 right now with a 6th n the way ... I mean come on its Thanos' daughter
$100box$20cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

Personally I think that's it. Most men relate to male characters, whereas females to female characters. There are far less female collectors than male. This is all of course just a generalization but why I believe it's less valued.
DNOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

I was thinking about this..Witchblade was only a TV Series, but I think the comic actually went down in price..not sure though
kyleg40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleg40 View Post
I was thinking about this..Witchblade was only a TV Series, but I think the comic actually went down in price..not sure though
I don't think the TV show was very good from what I've read, but I never watched it. I suppose someone would need to find an example where there are multiple characters related to a franchise TV/Movie where the female character appearance exceeded or was in line with that of their male counterparts but I can't think of one. Also Dr Strange will 100% be in his own movie (it's not a maybe) and will take over the mantel (planed to at least, prob depending on success of film) of Iron Man as their 1st tier character. That will be hard to follow.
DNOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

The tv show was horrible. I will say I liked Painkiller Jane on SciFi, not sure if it was a comic or not, only last a couple seasons of course..
Old 07-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by $100box$20cards View Post
This .... I have 5 right now with a 6th n the way ... I mean come on its Thanos' daughter
Interesting. Can you share what is your price expectation of this issue, say 1 month from the movie?

For me, I am betting on Groot and Rocket Raccoon. Nothing scientific. I just show the movie promo pic to a bunch of my non comic reading friends and they all picked either Groot or Raccoon as the coolest character. The rest, to them, was "normal" and not very interesting.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting. Can you share what is your price expectation of this issue, say 1 month from the movie?

For me, I am betting on Groot and Rocket Raccoon. Nothing scientific. I just show the movie promo pic to a bunch of my non comic reading friends and they all picked either Groot or Raccoon as the coolest character. The rest, to them, was "normal" and not very interesting.
It will all boil down to who they have playing Gamora and how much of a presence she has in the movie. Rocket and Gamora have good chemistry in Nova and the GotG books right now. That could translate to the script.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

I honestly think Raccoon is gonna flop, (Sorry Indy)... the whole bang, murdered you will only appeal to 8 year olds and they have the attention span of a mayfly.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #18 (permalink)

Zoe Saldana
Jperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #19 (permalink)

The comic book industry is a strange one. I do believe it has to do with fan base and how many books still remain in high condition. A movie will help with the value of a 1st. app. but the formula for a book to go up in value is, fan base + how many books still remain in high grade.

I think.
sportzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

@carrbeaz, so who do you think will get the most attention in the GOTG movie? Thanos excluded of course if he is in it
Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #21 (permalink)

bought myself a 1st appearance of mystique in captain marvel last year. couldn't believe how cheap they were going for.
ratherunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherunique View Post
bought myself a 1st appearance of mystique in captain marvel last year. couldn't believe how cheap they were going for.
Her 1st full appearance is in Ms. Marvel #18 which tends to carry a premium in higher grades because of that.
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Supply and Demand

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l600/Hilfiger1975
Hilfiger1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #24 (permalink)

I actually am not excited for the Guardians movie. I don't think we're ready for it yet. There has been no and I repeat no background movies on any of the characters, which is what made Iron Man, Thor, Capt America as the Avengers a hit. We had separate movies to establish them first. The needed some appearances in IM 3, etc. This is just my personal opinion..But to me Jar Jar Bings was a mistake also..And that seems to be the route they are heading