Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A question about getting sketch covers

So I have recently been looking into getting some sketch covers done. The problem is I have never done this before and I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice.

Do I just contact the artist online and ask for a sketch cover or do I have to send them the book first? I'm also thinking about attending NYCC this year. Does it make sense to carry a bunch of blank covers? And what is the proper way to get sketches, should I carry some artwork for references? And if there is anything else to note please chime in, thanks in advance.
sportzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

There are actually a couple of people here who are artists who setup at shows who might be able to shed some light onto this for you. I know both Ted Dastick Jr and Jason Adams both have spent time at conventions, but each artist is unique, but hopefully they can point you in the right direction.

Taking blanks to a show is a perfect item to get sketched on, especially if CGC is there to encapsulate and grade the book for you, makes for a killer collectible.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Conventions are a great place to get sketches. But most likely, you'll need your own blank cover. From my experience, if it's a character that the artists draws often you won't need a reference. But it doesn't hurt to bring one anyways. What's nice is that now artists can do a quick search on Google for a character to get an idea of what to draw.

If you're looking for a particular artist, you might want to search for them on Twitter or Facebook to see if they have a page. They'll usually have some way to contact them if they are taking commissions or sketches. Some artists work with a dealer for their artwork too. Check out Splash Page Comic Art or Comic Art House for some examples.

As far as costs, they seem to start at $50 and up. And be prepared to pay big if it's a big name artist. Somebody like Humberto Ramos or Rob Liefeld can be pricey. And even bigger names like Jim Lee and J. Scott Campbell may not even offer to do sketches unless it's a quick sketch at a signing event. Prices will vary also depending on whether you get a head sketch, bust, full body or add color.

The great thing is that they are some really talented people that can create some amazing for a great price (including some junkies on here!). Good luck man! Share what you get with the group!
"He went from sacking quarterbacks to tackling crime" - NFL Superpro #1
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/
LBSB333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's all on what you want done. Most artists are on Facebook,twitter , or deviant art.
At the cons the rates are all over the map so you can find your price range. I bring 20-30 covers to a con. And have spent from 20 bucks to 300.

If Barry Kitson is at a show you are attending get to his line ASAP. He doesn't charge to do sketches, he just makes you stand in line .

Sketch cover fanatics on Facebook is a good place to start. Artists post their work on there.
Ted Dastik jr or dd316 here does great work. I am a fan of jadams as well.
justinj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

if you are a member on the cgc forums they have an entire subforum dedicated to getting signatures and sketches. They have separate threads for each artist sketch opportunity that other forum members or the artist themselves set up. They list available spots for sketch opportunities, which users claim. You then choose the blank cover you want sketched on (usually you can send them a blank you already own or you can buy an available one from the facilitator) and then choose who or what you want sketched on the blank, then they give you a price quote.
stardark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the responses, I'm going to check some of those sites and facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardark View Post
if you are a member on the cgc forums they have an entire subforum dedicated to getting signatures and sketches. They have separate threads for each artist sketch opportunity that other forum members or the artist themselves set up. They list available spots for sketch opportunities, which users claim. You then choose the blank cover you want sketched on (usually you can send them a blank you already own or you can buy an available one from the facilitator) and then choose who or what you want sketched on the blank, then they give you a price quote.
Thanks, but CGC's site won't let me register. They want the users to have a paid email account and since I don't have one they never emailed me a link to activate.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSB333 View Post
Conventions are a great place to get sketches. But most likely, you'll need your own blank cover. From my experience, if it's a character that the artists draws often you won't need a reference. But it doesn't hurt to bring one anyways. What's nice is that now artists can do a quick search on Google for a character to get an idea of what to draw.

If you're looking for a particular artist, you might want to search for them on Twitter or Facebook to see if they have a page. They'll usually have some way to contact them if they are taking commissions or sketches. Some artists work with a dealer for their artwork too. Check out Splash Page Comic Art or Comic Art House for some examples.

As far as costs, they seem to start at $50 and up. And be prepared to pay big if it's a big name artist. Somebody like Humberto Ramos or Rob Liefeld can be pricey. And even bigger names like Jim Lee and J. Scott Campbell may not even offer to do sketches unless it's a quick sketch at a signing event. Prices will vary also depending on whether you get a head sketch, bust, full body or add color.

The great thing is that they are some really talented people that can create some amazing for a great price (including some junkies on here!). Good luck man! Share what you get with the group!
Jim Lee decided to stop charging for sketches back around 2010, but he does them randomly and when he decides he's in a good mood to do them. I was blessed that at the 2013 Amazing Arizona Comic Con in late January that he felt bad that Stan Lee had to cancel a day or two before the Con because he had the flu and it left a lot of fans upset (Stan's doctor told him he would not allow him to be on a plane). Jim Lee also had the flu, but he came out, arrived an hour late both days, and I think he felt bad so he decided to do about 200 sketches total the two days (and I was probably one of five to ten people that got one both days), mind you I waited 4-5 hours each day for one even near the front of the line.

Even before J. Scott Campbell went way, way topline after the ASM 700 and SSM 1 Midtown Variants, he was charging $350 a sketch at last year's Las Vegas Comic Expo and sold out for the weekend early Saturday morning. Now, he's probably a lot, lot more than that since he has probably eclipsed Alex Ross as the #1 Cover Artist on the planet.

At C2E2 in Chicago, I chose to get a Tyler Jenkins on a blank Peter Panzerfaust, and apparently he only did 25-30 of them that weekend. It was $80 to get a blank cover done (that they supplied) and $100 if you wanted to get it CGC'd (plus the $38 and shipping/insurance to get it slabbed).

As far as other known artist I can think of off hand, I think Rob Guillory of Chew was $150 at C2E2, I believe Skottie Young was $200 or $300. You can get random, unpublished Artist's Alley blanks done for as little as $20 in Black and White and $30 in color, and they will do a much better job, but until they are published and known, they are just a tree falling in the woods.

If you want to have a little fun and do a little gambling, find some new #1's that are released by Indy labels like Image, Dark Horse, or even the smaller labels and get a commission done. Maybe you'll be in the $50 to $100 range there as they are hoping to be on the rise, but if you have looked into their book and artwork, maybe you can spot a rising star. Personally, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ale Garza's work and think he will be a top 5-10 artist in the industry in a few years. His commissions are still under $100 last I checked, get him to do something cool on a Deadpool blank IMO.
jasonadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oh, and if you're into sexy female characters for blanks, check out Dawn McTeigue and any shows she's doing with J.P. Roth for her Ancient Dreams series. Roth only does small amounts of her book, has had J.Scott Campbell, Eric Basadula, and Ale Garza do cover art for her books, and has singed a movie deal that goes unnoticed because her books are not sold mainstream. Dawn McTeigue is pretty hot herself (as is Roth), and she does some breathtaking drawrings of the female form, and will do blanks of any series'. Check out the Art of Dawn McTeigue on facebook or check out some of her work here, she only does pencils I believe: dawn mcteigue - Yahoo! Image Search Results
jasonadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzking View Post
Thanks for all the responses, I'm going to check some of those sites and facebook.

Thanks, but CGC's site won't let me register. They want the users to have a paid email account and since I don't have one they never emailed me a link to activate.
You can use a Gmail account you don't need a paid one.
stardark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks, I'm going to try my best to get to NYCC and will be carrying a bunch of blank covers. Unless I spend all my money getting sketches done online.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Just remember every artist's process is different and the cost is going to reflect that....Also some only take on commissions on-site and others like myself will schedule pre-con commissions. I'm one of those that prefers to do pre-con commissions because with the type of work i do i need to be able to focus on the work Im doing and being at my booth drawing doesnt always work well with the distractions and trying to take care of everyone coming by. I would suggest contacting the artists ahead of time to get your commissions scheduled up that way you're ahead of the others trying get they're commissions soon as theyre on site

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzking View Post
Thanks, I'm going to try my best to get to NYCC and will be carrying a bunch of blank covers. Unless I spend all my money getting sketches done online.

TWITTER HANDLE: @chaverlandart
CHaverlandArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHaverlandArt View Post
Just remember every artist's process is different and the cost is going to reflect that....Also some only take on commissions on-site and others like myself will schedule pre-con commissions. I'm one of those that prefers to do pre-con commissions because with the type of work i do i need to be able to focus on the work Im doing and being at my booth drawing doesnt always work well with the distractions and trying to take care of everyone coming by. I would suggest contacting the artists ahead of time to get your commissions scheduled up that way you're ahead of the others trying get they're commissions soon as theyre on site
Hey I heard this guy here was pretty good too!
"He went from sacking quarterbacks to tackling crime" - NFL Superpro #1
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/
LBSB333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSB333 View Post
Hey I heard this guy here was pretty good too!
LOL thanks man! watch out cause Im getting even better with these blank variants

TWITTER HANDLE: @chaverlandart
CHaverlandArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHaverlandArt View Post
LOL thanks man! watch out cause Im getting even better with these blank variants
He's bad a$$! I'm getting 3 done by him!
alai28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

I know I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I thought I had some useful information to offer.

First of all, I'm only a 'casual' collector. I don't buy back issues. I read a couple story arcs here and there. I enjoy comic book art and like to commission pieces of characters I like. I like to have a variety of styles and I personally enjoy the sketch cover over a 9x12 (or similar sized) pin-up. For me, paying hundreds of dollars for original pages or for an artist with a Marvel/DC pedigree doesn't excite me. Like I said - I'm a casual collector. Everything I buy is for my PC and I'm not worried that it will likely only go down in value from what I paid.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting in this thread is because there are many artists that regularly post here on Blowout that aren't mentioned in this thread, and I thought it might benefit the comic art collectors over here to know who they are. Most of these guys are sketch card artists that do sketch cards for trading card sets, including officially licensed Marvel/DC/Star Wars sets. I'm sure most of them would be happy to take a comic book sketch cover commission.

You already have mention of Ted Dastick Jr., Jason Adams and Chadwick Haverland. Here are a couple others

Mick & Matt Glebe - GlebeTwins
Mary Bellamy - Mbellamy, Mary Bellamy's Art Thread
Amber Shelton - ashelton, Amber N Shelton's Art Thread
Jason Shoemaker - JasonShoemaker, Jason Shoemaker's Art Thread
Lak Lim - Lak Lim, Lak Lim's Art Thread
David Rabbitte - DavidR, David Rabbitte's Art Thread
Aston Roy Cover - justice41, A R Cover Art Thread
Jim Kyle - AsylumStudios
Mike Thomas - mikecthomas
Gary Kezele - G4RY

I'm sure I've left out quite a few artists. Sorry guys.

Just for fun here are a couple of my favorites that I commissioned this year. All from sketch card artists. Nothing valuable, but I enjoy them

Superior Spider-Man #1 by Michael 'Locoduck' Duron

Uncanny X-Force #1 by Jeremy Treece, Grimm Fairy Tales #75 by Bianca Thompson
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote