Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dumping

Hi guys..Well I did the math, and since jan we have lost about 3k in comic sales and buys. Its my fault, I figured out where and what happened..I wasn't buying enough of an individual comic to make a good profit..So because of that, I am now down to 4 pulls a month. and dumping all my modern..I know we have a sales thread, but didn't want you to miss out on prices..I honestly just dumped a 109 9.8 with a revival 1 SS 9.8 for 100.00 shipped..So gonna put some stuff up for you guys..have at it..Hopefully slowing down will help us..And I guess I should listen to the tips occasionally..
kyleg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Any WD slabs?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sold em all..Not a big TWD person..I know its like sacraledge to not be a TWD fan, just not..lol
Old 08-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleg40 View Post
Sold em all..Not a big TWD person..I know its like sacraledge to not be a TWD fan, just not..lol
I'm starting to see how many people that do not enjoy it. Lots of haters on the CGC boards.

It's all good though, thanks man.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

no probs..I don't hate em, just don't care for TWD
Old 08-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry to hear of the loses Kyle, hopefully you turn it round and it proves a valuable learning curve... you never really learn until you are in the deep end!

Modern market is like Russian Roullete, it's impossible to chase every new #1 and speculate on every issue monthly. I only buy big on titles that appeal to me, be it story line, premise, art or writer.

Good luck with the sales and getting on par man, wish I could buy that SS 5 ghosts but i've got trips to Amsterdam (tomorrow) and Paris (end of the month) to finance!

PS. do you ever read comics on the pan whilst dumping? It can be the difference between NM and VF!!
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

no..I read the comics electronically.. That way I don't have to bend pages
Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Life's most valuable lessons are learned from failures and not successes.

Curious, if you don't mind me asking that is, as to what you feel was your mistake. "I wasn't buying enough of an individual comic to make a good profit". ?
DNOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes I think that was the major issue..If you want to make a steady profit, you need to buy 20+ of individuals..I will still buy..I have 40 Rat Queens and 4 variants of it verified from a shipper. we'll see how that does
Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes I think that was the major issue..If you want to make a steady profit, you need to buy 20+ of individuals..I will still buy..I have 40 Rat Queens and 4 variants of it verified from a shipper. we'll see how that does
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but who are you selling to? Online? How are you trying to move 20+ of the same book?

Who I collect: Cam Fowler, Milan Lucic, Tim Thomas, D-men, Bruins
Tivo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

The 20+ will done online..I have no doubt that can sell on the flea if needed..And since ordering more lowered my cost to well pretty low..I should be able to sell a lot of 10 for 32.00 dlvd..Saving the person money also..I didn't actually read enough about what was going to be hot etc. to make money and I got a lot of things for me to read..lol.Which is cool but not financially smart..I cut my titles down to EoW, Ghosted, Revival and Spidey..Will try Rat Queens whens it comes out..I think a lot of it is patience in the market also. Which was fine until the kid got ill, then money flew out of the house..which caused a game we used to call in Vegas, catchup. You lose so you bet more to try to win more, becomes a constant game of catchup..so now..20 titles here, 20 titles there, and a some silver age..lower my cost to about 150.00 or so a month..Also lemme just say, if I would have followed tips I probably would have done better. Its my own fault

Last edited by kyleg40; 08-01-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo32 View Post
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but who are you selling to? Online? How are you trying to move 20+ of the same book?
Buying 20 at half price. Selling raw on eBay or slabbing and selling on the boards or eBay. Doubtful any new image books will become $20 books overnight like they used to, but if you hold for 6-12 months you can see some pretty good gains.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yep..And you figure the rat queens..which I have ordered, gave me variants for every 10 also..If I sell a lot of 10 for 32.00 I just paid for everything.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
The 20+ will done online..I have no doubt that can sell on the flea if needed..And since ordering more lowered my cost to well pretty low..I should be able to sell a lot of 10 for 32.00 dlvd..Saving the person money also..I didn't actually read enough about what was going to be hot etc. to make money and I got a lot of things for me to read..lol.Which is cool but not financially smart..I cut my titles down to EoW, Ghosted, Revival and Spidey..Will try Rat Queens whens it comes out..I think a lot of it is patience in the market also. Which was fine until the kid got ill, then money flew out of the house..which caused a game we used to call in Vegas, catchup. You lose so you bet more to try to win more, becomes a constant game of catchup..so now..20 titles here, 20 titles there, and a some silver age..lower my cost to about 150.00 or so a month..Also lemme just say, if I would have followed tips I probably would have done better. Its my own fault
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalado View Post
Buying 20 at half price. Selling raw on eBay or slabbing and selling on the boards or eBay. Doubtful any new image books will become $20 books overnight like they used to, but if you hold for 6-12 months you can see some pretty good gains.

Ah ok, both of those make a whole lot of sense. I was just trying to figure it out. I'm a little new to this. Thanks for the answer! :-)

Who I collect: Cam Fowler, Milan Lucic, Tim Thomas, D-men, Bruins
Tivo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

I also learned that for board sales, do some late night specials for night owls..They sell at night too for those not around in the afternoon
Old 08-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

I've never had much luck selling anything on blowout... People tend to act like they are doing you a favor by offering you 30-40% less than Ebay. At least when it came to cards. As for comics, I really haven't listed much here save a couple of silver and bronze age books that got no bites... I do really well on Ebay though. My sales volume over the past 3 months is nearly $13,000 and would say 80% is from comics.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

I don't have an ebay..Evidently the ip associated with my address has already been used by someone..which won't let me do a membership or I would
Old 08-02-2013, 01:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

I know..I have a SS Five Ghosts 9.8 and people have to think about paying 67.00 dlvd for it? or an SS Sons of the Gun Comicspro #1, with #1 reg 9.8 for 85.00 for the pair..lol..People want 9.8 slabs on the boards for 30.00 or less..I will break it before I sell one for that low..lol..
Old 08-02-2013, 03:15 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't have an ebay..Evidently the ip associated with my address has already been used by someone..which won't let me do a membership or I would
I had a similar situation on ebay UK, my address had been used by someone before for selling & they built up debts with ebay. I contacted cust support & had to forward proof of who I etc (copies of passport & few bills etc) & they were cool.

I started selling few off my old collection a couple of years back (found out wife was preganant & needed to bring some extra money in) & then when I got rid of all my collection I needed to I discovered I quite enjoyed the selling thing & got into speculating & buying to sell in March this year. I don't really buy huge amounts of each comic. Usually 5 to 10 & pay standard cover price, but find if you buy the right things etc you can definately make money, but ebay is essential for this (well certainly is in the UK).
Really think it would be good idea to hit ebay up & get an a/c sorted as you could be missing out on a lot of potential $ & a big audience to sell to
talktoofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:29 AM   #20 (permalink)

Ebay and I have our disagreements..lol..They want paid for the bill that was used by this ip..Working on it though..Can change the ip...
Old 08-02-2013, 03:43 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Ebay and I have our disagreements..lol..They want paid for the bill that was used by this ip..Working on it though..Can change the ip...
But if it wasn't you that had the bill, they will have a record of ID of person it was & you should just have to prove that isn't you.
I'll admit when I had same situation (although mine was on house address not IP. Most IP's in UK are dynamic & change regularly. I assume in US you have static IP's?) they did make me jump through a few hoops, faxing over documents & stuff & did put a selling limit on my a/c for 1st month or 2.
But I do know therev is no way I could of made profits I have over last few months without ebay.
I know obviously in US there is much more opportuntiy to sell on the boards as majority of memebers are from US, just think that on ebay you hitting a much wider market (such as for example with The Last of US, this comic is bringing in a lot of computer game heads who would not look on comic boards for comics - That comic has definately been my flipper of the year & has been good to me
Old 08-02-2013, 04:00 AM   #22 (permalink)

They are odd. Its almost impossible to prove here in the states, and then once I do, they can suspend at any point the accounts etc..I don't like the paypal/ebay experience, they can keep money for any reason etc. I know a lot of people who have issues.but will work it out..
Old 08-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #23 (permalink)

You need an eBay account. If you can't make an account, then why doesn't your business partner make one?

The days of buying Image #1 titles in bulk are over. LCS are aware of the popularity of indie titles now and stock up. I think it should only be like this for a few months. You see how many new people come on here or CGC everyday. There is no more $10-15 profit for new releases. The very rare Holmes and Sherlock, Number Cruncher, 12 Reasons to Die, etc. are a shot in the dark and requires more research than it is worth.

The market has shifted to high grade coopers and affordable low grade silvers. Concentrate on a few titles. But you need the money to be able to hold things for 6-8 weeks at least. You really won't see a profit for 3-6 months if you build up a nice inventory.

With that said I think you got a bad reputation on the CGC boards. It's unfortunate because I was a repeat customer. Everyone knew whatever you posted will get a 10% discount in a few hours if it didn't sell and it would be relisted in a week if it still didn't. You also bumped without bumping which saw a backlash of comments from other members. I bought one huge lot from you for $230ish because you wanted to dump. I took the time over 3 months and pieced that out. I probably made $1,000+ and still have The Sword and a ton of TWD issues.

Learn a little more and give it another go. If you need help, then feel free to PM me. Never mind.

Last edited by tommyVoltage; 08-03-2013 at 10:45 PM.
tommyVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyVoltage View Post
There is no more $10-15 profit for new releases. The very rare Holmes and Sherlock, Number Cruncher, 12 Reasons to Die, etc. are a shot in the dark and requires more research than it is worth.
You can still make money on moderns, it's not so much doing research, but more about knowing your comics & knowing what will sell. I read alot of comics & have a fair idea of what will be big & has potnetial(& oh god my reading pile is backing up again, I got it down but been well busy last 2 weeks & its crept up again!!)
Few examples of moderns that served me well & made $15+ shortly after rel;ease Last of us (all issues) - in fact this has been my flipper of the year -, Justice league dark 22, Trinity of Sin pandora 1, dexter 1, Lazarus Forbidden Planet variant, The wake 1. Obviously I know ebay UK can be a different market but all the comics listed a few of each have gone to US.

Also there is money to be made on moderns playing the waiting game, picking up what you think will sell & sitting on it. Things like lazarus, East of West.

Also keeping up on any news/rumours & buying thiongs up before they explode, like recently Rachel rising, Clone, Todd, Hoax unters (although this one fizzled out quite quick).

I do also specualate on silvers & bronze & these can be very rewarding sometimes when the time is right.

The one thing I will say though is ebay is a must & it's not a race it's marathon
Old 08-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
They are odd. Its almost impossible to prove here in the states, and then once I do, they can suspend at any point the accounts etc..I don't like the paypal/ebay experience, they can keep money for any reason etc. I know a lot of people who have issues.but will work it out..

I've had my issues with ebay/paypal as well. Got banned from paypal, because something in my info, supposedly matched something from someone that got banned before, so they banned me also. Won't tell me what, or if I could change anything in my info. Used paypal for years with no issues ever( i think one refund, thats it), but I guess that didn't matter. Even held my money for months after I was banned, before they finally released it. My ebay account is still active though somehow
robwhois is offline   Reply With Quote