Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
BMC
Banned

Default Really starting to hate selling on eBay

The last few times I've tried to sell books on eBay, I've had a hell of a time. So many headaches, so many horrible buyers.

Sold a NM copy of Saga #1, buyer claimed it was creased and dinged. That turned into a massive headache, and she ended up without the book (they told her to send it back, I never received it, they reversed the payment reversal) and out the money. But that put my Paypal account in negative balance limbo for a month.

Just sold a 6-book lot of Revival. I can feel the lies and negative and dispute coming, because the buyer is just that type of person.

He wrote me AFTER the auction ended, asking if the copies were all 1st print (something which was mentioned in the auction title and in body of the auction). THEN, he writes me, asking if he can take a week to pay for the books, because he "overspent" this week. I told him that it wasn't an acceptable situation, and that by bidding on and winning the auction, there was a reasonable expectation of prompt payment, but that if he had to wait a week, I would have to accept it.

THEN, he pulls out the bible and gets all preachy on me. He tells me that he'll just starve himself this week, and thanks me for my compassion and understanding, and that the bible tells us to honor our brother and all that existential crap.

By now, I figure he's gonna get the books, and then claim they were damaged and want his money back. And eBay, not caring a whit about their sellers, will give it to him. I told him it would be better for both parties to cancel the sale, but he refused and paid for the books.
BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

This is why I dont do auctions anymore, and only do bit it now with immediate payment required... it weeds out people like you described above.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I agree with Carrbeanz, I've only ever done BIN (+Best offer if I'm trying to rid myself of something I think might not last in hype) with immediate payment required.
hellojeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just say in my auctions that I do not accept refunds based on condition. All items come in an AS IS state, and to use the pictures of the actual books as reference. So far not a single complaint about condition, and only one unpaid sale.
gilbo4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

By the way, a week is a reasonable amount of time by eBay standards. If I'm not mistaken, you can't open a claim until 4 days after the item ends, and then the buyer still has 4 days to pay after the claim has been opened.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajshack View Post
By the way, a week is a reasonable amount of time by eBay standards. If I'm not mistaken, you can't open a claim until 4 days after the item ends, and then the buyer still has 4 days to pay after the claim has been opened.
I believe this changed to 2 days you can open and additional 4 days to receive payment so about 6-7 when auction ended.
mwolfson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajshack View Post
Its two days.

I don't understand this concept of patience that people have when it comes to collecting comics. They'll pay for books when they feel like it. They'll ship books when they get around to it. They'll process your order or issue a refund when they want. That isn't how business works. You pay for something when you claim it. You ship something when you originally promised. This relaxed attitude I experience or hear about from others regarding ebayers, board users, retail sites and brick and mortar stores blows my mind. People willingly let their money get tied up in a transaction for weeks or months at a time putting forth very little effort to reach a resolution. I just don't get it.
stardark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Buy It Now is the way to go..
siro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardark View Post
Its two days.

I don't understand this concept of patience that people have when it comes to collecting comics. They'll pay for books when they feel like it. They'll ship books when they get around to it. They'll process your order or issue a refund when they want. That isn't how business works. You pay for something when you claim it. You ship something when you originally promised. This relaxed attitude I experience or hear about from others regarding ebayers, board users, retail sites and brick and mortar stores blows my mind. People willingly let their money get tied up in a transaction for weeks or months at a time putting forth very little effort to reach a resolution. I just don't get it.
It has been two weeks since I bought a Avenger 55 from a store on Amazon. The book has still not been shipped. I have contacted them a few times and none of their responses instilled confidence that it will be shipped. But, I will still hold out hope.
DigsUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Location: Comicbooksgo.com is my domain if anyone from here wants a 10% discount. Just let me know.

I gave up on ebay when i started having people buy multiple copies of the same book looking for 9.8's and then requesting to return the ones they felt were only NM. (which is what the books were listed at) It was basically a way for buyers to use me and my $ to send them books to screen and make $ on while i had no way to stop it. There are tons of ways with the current system for buyers to take advantage of sellers. The cherry on top is that if you even try to reason with the slimy buyers you often times end up with a nice juicy negative and low DSR's. This in turn can effect your discounts or ability to sell.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
BMC
Banned

The only thing about using only BIN is that I'm always afraid it'll scare people off. That, and I really didn't have an idea of what the books would sell for. Ah well.
BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Nature of the beast. Buyers can be extremely annoying but it's part of the cost of doing business. Never fails the most problems I had with buyers is people who have requested additional information that is already stated in auction (eg they don't read anything on the auction) or have used best offer to offer the absolute lowest possible buying price only to claim the item isn't described despite high resolution scans. The 9.8 buyers I usually just block right off the bat. "I would like your copies that have zero flaws, 9.8 candidates", when the auction is listed as NM with a low buy it now. Then you get the morons who ask you about your listing, you explain in detail, then they tell you you are being deceptive, despite having fully explained any possible confusions to this dense individual. Yeah, I'm being deceptive having explained the auction to you, cause I love to have buyers return things or claim not as described.
DNOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbo4545 View Post
I just say in my auctions that I do not accept refunds based on condition. All items come in an AS IS state, and to use the pictures of the actual books as reference. So far not a single complaint about condition, and only one unpaid sale.
Unfortunately you'll find this don't mean squat when someone raises a case as ebay will always take buyers side & force your hand
talktoofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

I have a seller now for me, who has an ebay acct. Its a boardie from here, I always have him make them bin's on there..But yes..Ebay loves siding with the buyer
kyleg40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #15 (permalink)

For every bad buyer on ebay there is also a bad seller. Badly packaged items after paying for premium shipping, delayed shipping, incorrect item, etc etc etc.......
Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #16 (permalink)

Yeah i don't think anyone was saying there are not bad sellers but would say for ever bad seller there are 2 bad buyers. I was just joining in on the rant. Its all a numbers game that any retailer has to deal with and sometimes it just feels like pety theft. There is really little you can do about it. Not to play devils advocate but if Ebay didn't have these polices there would be far more many bad sellers.
DNOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsUT View Post
It has been two weeks since I bought a Avenger 55 from a store on Amazon. The book has still not been shipped. I have contacted them a few times and none of their responses instilled confidence that it will be shipped. But, I will still hold out hope.
I'm sorry I stood up for those guys. I too bought one from them, a VF 8.0 for $114 that they suddenly can't find. They held my charge for 2 weeks too. They had such good feedback, and I had bought from them before. Amazing how some sellers will risk their feedback and not honor sales that were purchased in good faith. If it's The Comic Universe you're talking about, I don't think you'll be getting the comic, and if you do, it's probably not the one you initially bought as they told me they were double selling their books in multiple places which is why is was suddenly out of stock, even though it was in stock and paid for by me. I did get my money back after two weeks, but I really wanted the book I paid for.

Last edited by IndySportsCards; 08-06-2013 at 11:47 AM. Reason: GRAMMAR NAZI
IndySportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

you know how you get from time to time the messages from fee-bay about whats the best you can do on your higher priced stuff, know i am getting them on 3-4 bucks books - with NO BEST OFFER OPTION

:jedi::jedi::jedi:

Last edited by natbornkiller; 08-06-2013 at 11:14 AM.
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
I'm sorry I stood up for those guys. I too bought one from them, a VF 8.0 for $114 that the suddenly can't find. They held my charge for 2 weeks too. They had such good feedback, and I has bought from them before. Amazing how some sellers will risk their feedback and not honor sales that were purchased in good faith. If it's The Comic Universe you're talking about, don't think you'll be getting the comic, and if you do, it's probably not the one you initially bought as they told me they were double selling their books in multiple places which is why is was suddenly out of stock, even though it was in stock and paid for by me. I did get my money back after two weeks, but I really wanted the book I paid for.
No worries Indy. You are definitely not at fault. They are making the conscious decision to not honor the sale. Sure, they will get a bit more money for the books by doing this, but I do plan on crushing their feedback, should they not send. Thems the breaks I guess.
DigsUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #20 (permalink)

The problem with the internet (and I say this as a 25 year old who grew up in the internet age) is that it allows for such anonymity that people could care less how they act or treat other people. Because they only see a username and not another person, they don't care how they treat the one on the other side of the computer. It's sad really.

Who I collect: Cam Fowler, Milan Lucic, Tim Thomas, D-men, Bruins
Tivo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

I think it was Indy who sold a Sixth Gun #1 listed as NM, then ha it returned because the buyer didn't like the condition. It was then sent to CGC and got a 9.6. That is what you can expect from a lot of buyers unfortunately.
jasonadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Just sold a 6-book lot of Revival. I can feel the lies and negative and dispute coming, because the buyer is just that type of person.

He wrote me AFTER the auction ended, asking if the copies were all 1st print (something which was mentioned in the auction title and in body of the auction). THEN, he writes me, asking if he can take a week to pay for the books, because he "overspent" this week. I told him that it wasn't an acceptable situation, and that by bidding on and winning the auction, there was a reasonable expectation of prompt payment, but that if he had to wait a week, I would have to accept it.
My perspective is that your (meaning everybody's, not just yours) item description needs to include the following
(1) Contact with any questions PRIOR to bidding
(2) When you expect payment after auction end (i.e., within 2 days)

If people don't submit payment when they are supposed to, you have to open a case TO PROTECT YOURSELF. That is my opinion. Giving people slack only leads to grief. If people don't have the money to buy something, they shouldn't buy it. Their buyer recklessness should not turn into your seller problem.

These are just things to protect you from negative feedback.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

Seems like more buyers have learned to do the partial refund shuffle and issue veiled threats against your feedback. These are the same people who scratch their 2500 lottery tickets at the counter while you wait 10 places in line behind them.
IndySportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
My perspective is that your (meaning everybody's, not just yours) item description needs to include the following
(1) Contact with any questions PRIOR to bidding
(2) When you expect payment after auction end (i.e., within 2 days)

If people don't submit payment when they are supposed to, you have to open a case TO PROTECT YOURSELF. That is my opinion. Giving people slack only leads to grief. If people don't have the money to buy something, they shouldn't buy it. Their buyer recklessness should not turn into your seller problem.

These are just things to protect you from negative feedback.

I agree with you and pay for my stuff asap. But, even if you state you expect payment in 2 days it really doesn't matter. You have to wait 2 days to open a case and then the buyer has another 4 days after that to pay. Unfortunately, I think most of the deadbeat bidders know this and couldn't care less about what your description says.
techtre2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtre2003 View Post
I agree with you and pay for my stuff asap. But, even if you state you expect payment in 2 days it really doesn't matter. You have to wait 2 days to open a case and then the buyer has another 4 days after that to pay. Unfortunately, I think most of the deadbeat bidders know this and couldn't care less about what your description says.
You are 100% correct. And beyond that, eBay couldn't care less about what your description says. It's very frustrating.

Who I collect: Cam Fowler, Milan Lucic, Tim Thomas, D-men, Bruins
Tivo32 is offline   Reply With Quote