Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilfiger1975 View Post
True, but collecting in 1991 and 1974 was two different things. How many people actually took care of comics and used bags and boards in 1974? By 1991, people already got hip to collectibles and started to hoard, etc. Both have a large following, but i honestly think they ruined Deadpool unlike Wolverine.
Collectors were pretty hip to using bags and boards back then, but you're right about the condition issue. There are actually more IH 181 than NM 98 on the census, but NM 98 has a higher concentration in 9.8 and 9.6. While there are a lot of shop owners who found pristine copies of NM 98 in their storage areas, there are a lot of beat up issues because it sat in back issue boxes just like IH 181 did until the character gained in popularity.

Wolverine did get pretty played out in the 80s, but there we didn't have the stupid variants like there are today. I think the only real difference between the two books is that Wolverine has been a better character for longer. He's infiltrated mainstream and pop-culture, something Deadpool hasn't been able to do yet.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalado View Post
Collectors were pretty hip to using bags and boards back then, but you're right about the condition issue. There are actually more IH 181 than NM 98 on the census, but NM 98 has a higher concentration in 9.8 and 9.6. While there are a lot of shop owners who found pristine copies of NM 98 in their storage areas, there are a lot of beat up issues because it sat in back issue boxes just like IH 181 did until the character gained in popularity.

Wolverine did get pretty played out in the 80s, but there we didn't have the stupid variants like there are today. I think the only real difference between the two books is that Wolverine has been a better character for longer. He's infiltrated mainstream and pop-culture, something Deadpool hasn't been able to do yet.
IMO the reason Wolfie has staying power is because they treat him as a serious character and he has issues both dark and light. Deadpool as you said is basically a joke character nowadays with all the variants of him killing himself (or multiples of himself) or ordering tacos from himself. They even have him smiling now under the mask which doesn't make any sense. They squandered Deadpool's character when they could have easily built up serious story lines like they have with Wolverine but sadly they chose a different humorous path. And you are spot on about people using bags n board in early 90's versus 70's.
natevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natevegas View Post
IMO the reason Wolfie has staying power is because they treat him as a serious character and he has issues both dark and light. Deadpool as you said is basically a joke character nowadays with all the variants of him killing himself (or multiples of himself) or ordering tacos from himself. They even have him smiling now under the mask which doesn't make any sense. They squandered Deadpool's character when they could have easily built up serious story lines like they have with Wolverine but sadly they chose a different humorous path. And you are spot on about people using bags n board in early 90's versus 70's.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l600/Hilfiger1975
Hilfiger1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #29 (permalink)

With copper age books the thing I think of right now is how many books are selling for 5 and 10 bucks raw at comic shows versus not moving 2 years ago. Also books like gi joe, transformers or even Dkr are selling out whenever the shows open. It will take time but eventually these books will be worth saving in your long boxes.
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #30 (permalink)

Since we are talking about hulk 181, here is a look at the price trends for 9.8.
Even for this book, there are times when it is overvalued. So, for NM98, how do u guys know:
if it is overvalued because many speculators and their dogs think this will be the next hulk 181 vs undervalued due to potential movie appearances?

aaronchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #31 (permalink)

I think those trends lines have a lot to do with the availability aspect of the issue. I think if multiple copies sell within the same month or week it severly hurts the price as there are only so many people willing to pay top top dollar.

When there are long periods between offerings on ebay it does affect sales in a positive manner.

Its the same philosophy as why you don't grade 50 gem mint books or cards all at the same time if the pop is 1 or 0 as you don't want to destroy the pop all at once. Do it over the course of time especially to maximize profit.
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote