Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Your returns on the 3D covers.

I only sold a couple of Raw Books plus I sold a complete Week 1 Set.

Starting last week I began selling my graded books.

After the Complete Set sale from prior and the sale of Harley 9.9 and Joker 9.9 I am in the black from here on out.

I still have two full complete 52 Sets with Forever Evil #1 3D as well additional Joker's Daughter/Harley/ and others.

I was initially going to sell all raw, but glad I decided to grade what I thought were the best I had.

Curious how those who only sold raw did.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

im in the red for all of 3d covers/moderns for that matter. getting out of the modern game soon.
youmechoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

About 80 covers and $550 profit. All raw. I was selling them way cheaper than anyone else because I had a constant supply coming in since I live around the corner from the city's biggest store. I didn't have an issue listed for more than a day really.

And that was no copies of Joker's Daughter.
tommyVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Stayed away from them like the plague.

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l600/Hilfiger1975
Hilfiger1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm in the red for all the ones I bought because I haven't tried to sell any. I'm still trying to find the correct boxes / bubble envelopes to get to ship them.

Anyone have any links to where to purchase items like this (especially boxes)? Is it worthwhile to use bubble envelopes as long as each side of the comic has a sturdy cardboard piece?

Thanks!
21Pittsburgh58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Pittsburgh58 View Post
I'm in the red for all the ones I bought because I haven't tried to sell any. I'm still trying to find the correct boxes / bubble envelopes to get to ship them.

Anyone have any links to where to purchase items like this (especially boxes)? Is it worthwhile to use bubble envelopes as long as each side of the comic has a sturdy cardboard piece?

Thanks!
Indy's Guide to Packaging/Shipping Comics

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l600/Hilfiger1975
Hilfiger1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have all of the covers except Jokers Daughter. Also have covers a,b,c of Forever Evil #1 - I would take an offer on all the books together.
TEKWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

As expected, the guys who knew how to make money did well and the newer guys got stuck with books that might fade away rather quickly.

Having experience this myself, I learn to stay away from these kind of trend books where I dun have the experience and the speed to capitalize on it.

Well done, Carr and Tommy! Maybe you can give some tips to the newer guys on how you guys can make money with the same books they have?

Is it something to do with:

- speed
- lower pricing
- ebay reputation
- grading

Cheers
aaronchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronchua View Post
As expected, the guys who knew how to make money did well and the newer guys got stuck with books that might fade away rather quickly.

Having experience this myself, I learn to stay away from these kind of trend books where I dun have the experience and the speed to capitalize on it.

Well done, Carr and Tommy! Maybe you can give some tips to the newer guys on how you guys can make money with the same books they have?

- speed
- lower pricing
- ebay reputation
- grading

Cheers
im not new and these tanked. sell it raw get a better return, get it graded and compete with people selling it for below slab costs.

Last edited by youmechoose; 10-08-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

Thanks!
The best place I've found for boxes is ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies The only downside with them is most boxes come in bundles of 100.

I always use boxes and extra cardboard
Chris Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Henderson View Post
The best place I've found for boxes is ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies The only downside with them is most boxes come in bundles of 100.

+1 the s342 is the way to go.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyVoltage View Post
About 80 covers and $550 profit. All raw. I was selling them way cheaper than anyone else because I had a constant supply coming in since I live around the corner from the city's biggest store. I didn't have an issue listed for more than a day really.

And that was no copies of Joker's Daughter.
Nice! Sold 20 issues raw for 250 profit and yes 5 of those were Joker's Daughter 3d's and 7 Harley 3d's.
natevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

I bought 106 3D covers in total & I have made £361.21 (about $580) profit - this is taking in account what stock I still have left
This is what I bought: Joker x16, Deadshot x2, Relic x2 Posion Ivy x3, Lobo x2, Grodd x2, Creeper x3, Bizarro x3, Ventriloquist x2, Darksied x1, Dessad x1, count vertiog x1, zod x2, trigon x1, black manta x1, lex x2, court of owls x2, Dial E x3, Clayface x4, Ras Al Ghul x1, Killer frost x1, Jokers daughter x8, Harley Quinn x11, Two Face x7, Bane x7, Penguin x6, Deathstroke x1, Scarecrow x1, sinestro x1, Riddler x6, Cyborg Superman x6

I have left:
Sinestro x1, Harley Quinn x1, Jokers daughter x1, Ras Al Ghul x1, Clayface x3, lex x2, Desaad x1, Darkseid x1, Creeper x1, relic x1, Joker x 3

So thats $580 profit & 16 comics left - whether I make a profit on any of the ones left or just end up shifting them for near what I paid or few pence less we shall see (although the Jokers duaghter & the harley I have left i only have left as I am not selling them but holding a copy back of each on spec)

Last edited by talktoofast; 10-08-2013 at 03:50 AM.
talktoofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
I only sold a couple of Raw Books plus I sold a complete Week 1 Set.

Starting last week I began selling my graded books.

After the Complete Set sale from prior and the sale of Harley 9.9 and Joker 9.9 I am in the black from here on out.

I still have two full complete 52 Sets with Forever Evil #1 3D as well additional Joker's Daughter/Harley/ and others.

I was initially going to sell all raw, but glad I decided to grade what I thought were the best I had.

Curious how those who only sold raw did.
sounds like you be bring home the big $$$$$.
I only really sell raws. A lot of that is down to a) extra cost involved in grading encountered by shipping to US & back b) graded comics just don't seem to be as popular in UK

Although I do buy the occasional slab, my most recent was a clone adlard variant 9.8
talktoofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Hmm,so why did a veteran like youmechoose lose money while you guys are raking in the dough?
aaronchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

I stayed away..Just not a dc fan..I bought one from someone on here, just to see em..lol..I put money into Rat Queens and Pretty deadly, and about 30 of the archie peppy covers.so we shall see
kyleg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

I did well with this.

I paid for a set (52 books) and made an additional $300 profit.

All and all, I was pleased.

Big 3 for me were:
Jokers Daughter
Dial E
Ventriloquist
** GO GAMECOCKS!!!! **
Jgil316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #18 (permalink)

I haven't sold anything but I have to start selling soon.

The boxes are starting to accumulate. lol
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

- speed
- lower pricing
- ebay reputation
- grading

Cheers
Experience. I just saw titles like Batman Inc. #8, All-Nex X-Men #3-5, Superior Spider-Man #1, Batgril #13 Diecut. All those issues demanded a premium like 3D prices and then dropped a lot. These are main stream titles. The popularity passes quickly because there is always the next title a week away. Also I learned a lot with The Sixth Gun. I was holding out for $1000 and getting offers of $900-950 that I kept turning down. I think I sold for about $400. I still made profit, but that extra $500 would have been nice.

There will always be the next title that is optioned, has a new character, or whatever else. Modern is sell as soon as you get them. You saw with Clone/Todd that prices spike as soon as news is reported and then level out. If you are doing it in volume like Carr did then you sell right away because he already is selling something else. He already probably has his next title lined up.

And if you think the prices are low now just wait for a month. There are so many people holding on to sets for NYCC to drop off because of all the 9.9+ popping up. They will be nothing in a month or two.

For the past few months the only titles that I'm still holding are about 10 sets of EoW and 20 copies of Lazarus #1.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmm,so why did a veteran like youmechoose lose money while you guys are raking in the dough?
because i was a dummy and decided to slab them. it used to be, you slab a hot book and at least sell it for slabbing costs. like batman 13 or superior spiderman 1, but before that, saga 1 and thief of thieves 1 and revival 1 and so on. then dudes started auctions at .99. people are expecting slabs at around $25-30 now. i made great profits selling last years image 1 books raw, more in slabs. now there is more profit in raw.

Last edited by youmechoose; 10-08-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #21 (permalink)

I truly appreciate the info - thank you!

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Henderson View Post

Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #22 (permalink)

I think it was a great decision to get them slabbed because most of the stories I read were average to awful (see Joker). The covers in general are fantastic IMO and will look awesome in a CGC slab. Really looking forward to my Harley Quinn, Joker, Joker's Daughter and Bane slabs

As a collector, my Bane and Joker will be staying (for quite a while at least).

As a seller (soon) Harley Quinn and Joker's Daughter will be available.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
I think it was a great decision to get them slabbed because most of the stories I read were average to awful (see Joker). The covers in general are fantastic IMO and will look awesome in a CGC slab. Really looking forward to my Harley Quinn, Joker, Joker's Daughter and Bane slabs

As a collector, my Bane and Joker will be staying (for quite a while at least).

As a seller (soon) Harley Quinn and Joker's Daughter will be available.
it was a bad decision to get them slabbed. most of these wont sell for over slabbing costs, and the few that do wont make up for it.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmechoose View Post
it was a bad decision to get them slabbed. most of these wont sell for over slabbing costs, and the few that do wont make up for it.
Agreed. People saw the hype of this release coming for months. So the sellers who know how to slab for cheap stocked up on them. And with so many 9.9+ coming out a lot of people will just buy raw copies knowing that whenever they have extra money they can just slab them themselves.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #25 (permalink)

There was only one 3D book to buy and flip for profit if you could get it cheap, and that's the Forever Evil 3D.

I guess the other way to profit was to be first to the market with slabs, but it sounds like the runs were high quality and 9.8s will be everywhere
BizarroChuck is offline   Reply With Quote