Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 04:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default With a green arrow tv show, why is green arrow #1 not hot?

With a green arrow tv show, why is green arrow #1 New 52 not hot?
The ratings are good enough for a season 2 so I assume there is a pool of audience but the prices on #1 are still flat.

Is it because it is too early or somehow TV show doesn't translate to comic prices?
aaronchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

The comic isn't really that good. Although they are adding the Flash into the Arrow this season. They made it into a twilight teen show..Although some of the girls are beautiful and the storylines are intense. Its not as good as Smallville was though
kyleg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

I tried to get into the show but couldn't, cheesey/god awful acting put me right off... it's not one of DC's strongest characters either imo.
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Green arrow i am shocked still has his own series

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

3 words :

He's NO Hawkeye
$100box$20cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

What I am alluding to is whether flash 1 new 52 is worth investing into as he will have his own tv show soon. However, the green arrow experience is making me very cautious.

How do you guys feel?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Tv show means nothing for speculating.
gilbo4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

I personally think TV does not equate to better comic price in this case... Green arrow is a class "B" superhero at best and its on a channel where I wouldn't watch if it was the only channel left on TV , the quality is just not there.

AS for flash , maybe a slight bump but don't expect batman #1 new 52 prices
$100box$20cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

I don't think the Arrow show is very good myself. I would go with your gut and stick with your instinct on what you know. You don't sound like you have read many Flash books, I haven't either and don't read many DC books. I find the characters to be corny in general. If you want to invest in the Flash, I would do so as a franchise rather than looking at the new 52 which is likely largely printed and easily available. Look to supporting characters and villains, that appear in the new 52 and current story lines and hunt down the keys that are highly undervalued and currently affordable, hedge your bet and buy in bulk anything copper age that is a $1 book. You have good instinct. The stuff on your top 5 silver age like Thor 165/FF45/FF46/Doctor Strange 169/FF52 are all great picks.
DNOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think Arrow #1 that has a picture of Stephen Amell on the cover took away a lot from Green Arrow #1.

And the characters in season 1 were mostly well established characters. Oliver Queen, Roy Harper/Speedy all had first appearances with AQUAMAN. So I am thinking that is out of most price ranges. Deadshot was in an early Batman issues, so again out of price range. Black Canary was early Flash. The only affordable character was Deathstroke. And prices have easily tripled for that issue in the last year.

The new characters for season 2 are all showing up as being for Green Arrow vol 3, which was the mid 2000s, so I don't really think price movement on that again. We need another Deathstroke.
tommyVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

ONLY THING GOOD ABOUT THE SHOW AND I STILL WONT WATCH IT

I THINK THE COUNT VERTIGO 3D COVER WAS THE 1ST GREEN ARROW BOOK I EVER BOUGHT

Old 10-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'd have to disagree with a few of the above comments. This tv show rocks and so far is 100 times better than Agents of Shield. The actors can act, it knows how to build action, visuals are sweet, music is spot on, and the interaction between arrow and diggle is great. Plus for a wb tv show it doesn't hold the punches on the violence, that one flashback on the island they basically showed his dad shooting himself in the head on the raft.
natevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Im a huge green arrow fan since i was like 3 so dont let the price go up
hdiddy8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

My comment was one of personal preference. I don't think that it's terrible and it's not like I don't' see why people like it, just personally not a fan.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

As TommyVoltage stated with the Arrow show it will be likely the same for the Flash.
Grodd
Weather Wizard
Trickster
Captain Cold
All pricey 1st appearances. Lame characters to boot (sorry Flash fans, once again my opinion)
I'm sure there is someone comparable to another Deathstroke but not sure who that is as like i said, don't follow The Flash.
Best bet price wise is maybe the 1st appearance The Rogues, Flash 130?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNOC View Post
I would go with your gut and stick with your instinct on what you know. You don't sound like you have read many Flash books, I haven't either and don't read many DC books.
Thanks for the advice and you are right! I don't read too much DC and Flash is definitely not one of them.

I think I started this thread badly so let me take a step back.

Batman 1 New 52 surprised me and I think some of you as well since I don't see many hoarding this issue. Looking back, it seems to be a perfect storm of

1) A popular dark knight movie series
2) A great creative team
3) Not too much excessive supply as the drop off from issue 1 to current is only 20%
4) Batman is a A class character

So, looking at the above, I was trying to see if I can see another perfect storm coming and it doesn't look like it.

Green Arrow
1) A so so TV show
2) A OK creative team (as evident by the average review scores)
3) Too much supply as the drop off is 40% from #1 to current
4) B class character

Flash
1) Tv and movie show coming. Quality unknown
2) A so so creative team (as evident by the average review scores)
3) Too much supply as the drop off is 60%
4) A class character

Constantine
1) A TV show coming. Quality unknown
2) A so so creative team (as evident by the average review scores)
3) Ok supply as the drop off is 32% from #1 to current
4) B class character
Old 10-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

I don't think there is a formula that can be written on this. To see any real movement in the market you are looking for the perfect storm across several levels, which isn't usually something you can see coming. If anything is above all else then it's that the comic itself and the comic reading fan base along with it has to take the lead without needing a TV show.

TWD benefits from having a really good show but I think the strength of the comic alone would still be carrying it to lofty heights all the same without it.

Take another title like say Sandman and give it the same print run as TWD and you would see something similar. Helped along by the fact that Neil Gaiman has drawn in people across the genres of books and film as well, even if Sandman doe not have one itself.

Look to the strength of the book itself not the show. This is why I find myself mostly nonplussed by the reaction to a lot of the small titles currently getting optioned every week. My assumption is that speculators are mostly the ones buying them up on the bay as soon as Bleeding Deadline sets off the alarm bells and everyone craps their pants. I have nothing against people taking a punt for a small outlay but as of late it certainly has brought out the cynic in me in general about some of the latest TV show prospects.
garfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Fully agreed that there is no magic formula. At the same time, I think we can do better than just using our 'gut feel' or 'experience' or whatever intangible stuff you want to call them.

Even a gut feel has to be based on some form of observations you see in the market. We can't form opinions or investment decisions based on nothing right?

What are those observations? Can we tease them out and put them on paper?

I also agree that book quality comes first, which is why you see 2 out of the 4 factors I listed above concerns the book quality and whether it is building a fan base.

What mass media can do is to help focus the attention of both comic and non comic guys on the title. Whether the title can keep them is another issue. There are examples of good books out there not getting a fan base. Reason is that there is no spotlight being shine on them.

Hence, that is why batman 1 is such as perfect storm and I am trying to see if other titles can experience the same thing.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronchua View Post
Fully agreed that there is no magic formula. At the same time, I think we can do better than just using our 'gut feel' or 'experience' or whatever intangible stuff you want to call them.

Even a gut feel has to be based on some form of observations you see in the market. We can't form opinions or investment decisions based on nothing right?

What are those observations? Can we tease them out and put them on paper?

I also agree that book quality comes first, which is why you see 2 out of the 4 factors I listed above concerns the book quality and whether it is building a fan base.

What mass media can do is to help focus the attention of both comic and non comic guys on the title. Whether the title can keep them is another issue. There are examples of good books out there not getting a fan base. Reason is that there is no spotlight being shine on them.

Hence, that is why batman 1 is such as perfect storm and I am trying to see if other titles can experience the same thing.
Its not that easy. And yes my gut feeling told me to grab those 3d covers before I even saw them on my shelf without any prior market base analysis to tell me otherwise, even before I had print runs even. I think if you squint too hard and use too many factors you can miss the boat for the ocean.
natevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

Hey Nate, I understand your point. However, out 'gut feel' is not a natural born thing. It is made up from our past experience, knowledge etc. When you look at the 3d covers and think you can sell them, it might be due to the coolness or the huge marketing push or something else. These are all factors.

However, I agree that over thinking can missed the boat but for long form investing, I think that is needed. I am never into short term flips which, as you correctly pointed out, needs speed of thought. However, when buying something for the long term, I can take longer to consider more factors.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #21 (permalink)

Its funny look at whats going on with avengers 158 with in the last 24 hours
(shield cameo?)

Old 10-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

AVENGERS #158 1ST APPEARANCE GRAVITON, who appeared in the show this week.

Also received some coverage
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/...f-s-h-i-e-l-d/

nuff said

Last edited by aaronchua; 10-09-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Its kind of neat they put the origin of graviton in the show last night
kyleg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Seven54k

Let's hope Green Arrow doesn't get that big. I actually do like him and the show. But if anything. Year Zero and maybe Long Bow hunters will catch interest. Slightly.... Let's just hope I can acquire Long Bow #1 CGC first.
Seven54k is offline   Reply With Quote