Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #51 (permalink)

I agree, Amazon is a coin toss, or a roll of the dice.
IndySportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #52 (permalink)

It is, but if the price is right you can't argue with it.

I grabbed a Sixth Gun #1 off Amazon for $3.50 that turned out to be a 9.8 after a press.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #53 (permalink)

Can we hold off anymore movie announcements, tv series until at least after Christmas lol?

Last edited by 8802; 12-17-2013 at 04:51 PM.
8802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #54 (permalink)

No kidding, this year has been brutal, BUT, it's also been incredibly exciting and a great time to be into comics.

I think we may see even more properties snatched up next year as Hollow-Weird is short on new ideas and will gladly latch onto a comic property as it has untouched potential in many cases. I expect Bronze and Copper age books to grow next year along with the typical Gold and Silver. I've already seen key Copper and Bronze books inching up this year, and expect to see more of it next year.

If we see a Deadpool movie, NM #98 will EXPLODE!

Last edited by IndySportsCards; 12-17-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
If we see a Deadpool movie, NM #98 will EXPLODE!
Shouldn't Deadpool be a sitcom on NBC like Seinfeld or Cheers..??
MisterNatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #56 (permalink)

Well #1 has just gone nuts... I dont think there are even anymore listed right now.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
Well #1 has just gone nuts... I dont think there are even anymore listed right now.
Give it 5 more weeks than look again, it will cool off until the movie gets closer to being done. We are probably 3 years, 2 directors and 5 scripts away anyway.
Morgoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
Give it 5 more weeks than look again, it will cool off until the movie gets closer to being done. We are probably 3 years, 2 directors and 5 scripts away anyway.
Of course it will, but by that time I will flip the two I bought for at least $400-$500 profit
Old 12-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Of course it will, but by that time I will flip the two I bought for at least $400-$500 profit
This ^^^. Thats is the way to think Carr, no reason for people to be negative. I'll be doing the same thing as you.
Cisco69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco69 View Post
This ^^^. Thats is the way to think Carr, no reason for people to be negative. I'll be doing the same thing as you.
Good luck finding the idiots
Old 12-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
No luck needed they will sell easily.

It's rather silly calling buyers idiots as well.

Are people who buy Mike Trout rookie cards today idiots?

Before he started playing well his cards could be had for a song, and they suddenly blew up, but people buy them.

In the comic biz it almost works in similar fashion.

Difference with Sandman is that it already had a large following and the prices here fairly high already.

Prices on 9.8s are already significantly higher and as I post this there are only two 9.8 SS listed on Ebay.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Just curious...how long have you been buying and selling?
Old 12-20-2013, 03:51 AM   #63 (permalink)

So, anybody thinks the 550+ 9.8 SS will be sold within this coming week?
Old 12-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #64 (permalink)

Who is it signed by?
Old 12-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #65 (permalink)

Signed by Kieth & McKean
Old 12-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronchua View Post
Signed by Kieth & McKean
It might last this week, considering the time of year. In a couple weeks, I highly doubt it will. GPA for that book before the news broke was $400, so it's not outlandish to think it will sell for north of $500.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #67 (permalink)

So, anybody knows the print run?

I got a couple of #1s in my collection. Bought a couple of years due to it being one of my favorite vertigo title. Never thought of selling them.

However, if the prices continue to soar, it is becoming mighty attempting to sell a couple.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronchua View Post
So, anybody knows the print run?

I got a couple of #1s in my collection. Bought a couple of years due to it being one of my favorite vertigo title. Never thought of selling them.

However, if the prices continue to soar, it is becoming mighty attempting to sell a couple.
Nobody knows for sure. The data exists, but isn't available on the web. The topic came up in the Sandman Movie thread on the CGC board a few days ago, and didn't yield many results.

What we did learn, though, is a former DC editor mentioned that they were low for the time period. To put it in context, the top seller the month Sandman #1 was released (January 1989) at Capital City was Uncanny X-Men #244. Capital City sold 71,200 copies of the issue, and archival sources available to The Comics Chronicles confirm the actual sales at 432,400 copies across all channels.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
There's plenty on ebay what's your point?

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l600/Hilfiger1975
Hilfiger1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #70 (permalink)

If I remember correctly, at the time Vertigo was pretty much the red headed step child of DC and they didn't pump/print those titles as hard as regular DC titles.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #71 (permalink)

In those days, what is considered low print run? 30-60k? Lower? Higher?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
No luck needed they will sell easily.

It's rather silly calling buyers idiots as well.

Are people who buy Mike Trout rookie cards today idiots?

Before he started playing well his cards could be had for a song, and they suddenly blew up, but people buy them.

In the comic biz it almost works in similar fashion.

Difference with Sandman is that it already had a large following and the prices here fairly high already.

Prices on 9.8s are already significantly higher and as I post this there are only two 9.8 SS listed on Ebay.
No the people buying Trout today are not because it's post hype. But anyone collecting a long time doesn't buy during hype phase. The idiots are the speculators trying to sell to each other hoping they keep going up until someone is left holding the bag.

Does anyone not remember the speculators that ruined the entire comic industry of the 90s. Its kinda looking like the exact same thing to me, deja vu all over again.

Collectors most likely are avoiding these auctions like the plague and are generally pretty smart about this stuff.

Folks who bought Trout, Maas, Puig, Harper, Strasburg etc during their peak highs are idiots though sorry.

Last edited by Morgoth; 12-20-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #73 (permalink)

They may be speculators, but they may also be people who just want the book and don't want to wait it out or deal with the market. There are certain people who like to have the hot new thing in high grade before everyone else does, and with the movie news more people will want it. Different people have different buying habits or motivations.

If you've been buying and selling for a while, you should know that issuing a blanket statement calling a buyer an idiot is not necessarily true or fair. It's also not wise when joining a community that offers you the option to sell to these "idiots."

To your second point, the difference between this and the 90s is that speculators were hording NEW issues. Sandman has been out for close to 25 years. The only people who will be left holding the bag are the people buying the book on the secondary market. Comic book stores and the industry will not collapse under the weight of the pallets of Sandman #1 sitting in a stock room.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by chalado; 12-20-2013 at 11:44 AM.
chalado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalado View Post
They may be speculators, but they may also be people who just want the book and don't want to wait it out or deal with the market. There are certain people who like to have the hot new thing in high grade before everyone else does, and with the movie news more people will want it. Different people have different buying habits or motivations.

If you've been buying and selling for a while, you should know that issuing a blanket statement calling a buyer an idiot is not necessarily true or fair. It's also not wise when joining a community that offers you the option to sell to these "idiots."

To your second point, the difference between this and the 90s is that speculators were hording NEW issues. Sandman has been out for close to 25 years. The only people who will be left holding the bag are the people buying the book on the secondary market. Comic book stores and the industry will not collapse under the weight of the pallets of Sandman #1 sitting in a stock room.

Just my 2 cents.
My quote about the speculation market is really meant for the new comics being horded like the Image books of recent times but the parallel is the same, movie or tv speculation is driving demand for both new Image books and Sandman.

I agree Sandman isn't a big issue comic industry ruin however it is symptom of the same issue that ruined the market, it is collectors, specifically new collectors that get soured over the market hype it and dump it mentality. Instead of crazy covers (still around sigh though) its movie hype.

Also this forum is generally full of buyers/sellers and collectors in the upper 10% of hobby knowledge. The general/impatient buyers you speak of most likely don't come here or the wouldn't be buying at peak highs now would they?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:

Also this forum is generally full of buyers/sellers and collectors in the upper 10% of hobby knowledge. The general/impatient buyers you speak of most likely don't come here or the wouldn't be buying at peak highs now would they?
You have to take into account the amount of those who read the boards but do not post (lurkers). With that said, and not to knock these boards, it's not even a fraction of those on the CGC boards, so your "idiot" comment may go unnoticed.