Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Former addict comes full circle.. help me

Once upon a time I was a hardcore collector but I got away from the hobby and I seem to find myself slowly getting reeled back in...has been helped along by reading this forum and others like it so everyone here should bare a little guilt I been buying a few titles over the last few months but have always had in the back of my mind all the comics that I once owned. That being the case I bought a modest collection off craigslist which included some that I wanted and some that I don't. I ended up with a few questions going forward.

A) For my new purchases I am looking for comics well written and drawn and would like to know if there is any titles that are must read? writers or artists who I should always be looking for? (I don't mind superhero stuff if its well done.. I was a Miller, Byrne fan.. or off the beaten path, count me as a Badger and T Truman fan.)

B) What is the story behind all the different covers for the same book, something I should be looking for there? its abit overwhelming so far if my LCS has more then one I just get which ever I find more appealing(and usually costs me a few extra $$)

C)For my older issues I will just get ones I remember fondly growing up and enjoyed then but any advice on unloading what I don't want? I have read the threads on packaging and I plan to pay particular attention to correct grades (some of the online sites recommended in this very forum) but I'm wondering what is best way to ship? media mail or something else?

That's all I can think of now and thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

VOL 1 Avengers
Dodgerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

A) The best currently ongoing series in my opinion:
Saga by Brian K. Vaughan (Image)
Chew by John Layman (Image)
Hawkeye by Matt Fraction (Marvel)
Think Tank by Matt Hawkins (Image)
Superman Unchained by Scott Snyder and art by Jim Lee (DC)
Batman by Scott Snyder (DC)

B0 publishers are making more covers of different rarity to sell more copies to both comic shops and collectors. If you ever see a book listed as a 1:25 Variant, it means that for every 25 copies of the regular cover for that book, they make one of the 1:25 Variants. Some issues they make very rare covers like 1:300 covers, so for instance the Superman Unchained #1 Jim Lee Sketch 1:300 and Amazing Spider-Man Alex Ross Sketch 1:300 covers were both selling for about $300 right when they were released.
jasonadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Texans81 Send a message via Yahoo to Texans81

I'll second the aforementioned Hawkeye and Batman. Both are solid reads. I haven't read the others listed above so can't comment on those. In addition to the ones he listed I'd recommend these:

Batman Eternal (weekly series)
Lazarus (Image)
East of West (Image)
Manifest Destiny (Image)
Caliban (Avatar)
Harley Quinn (DC)
Black Science (Image)

those are all really good reads that I enjoy getting every month
Old 08-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

sounds like Image has it going on, thanks for giving me a direction

VOL 1 Avengers
Dodgerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Texans81 Send a message via Yahoo to Texans81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerdave View Post
sounds like Image has it going on, thanks for giving me a direction
DC and Marvel have both fallen into a rut where they're just recycling old stories, putting a little spin on it and calling it a new release. There's nothing really NEW or original coming out from them. That's the big draw for me to Image titles is it is all new material that isn't just a reboot or different version of something old.