Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Question about Midtown exclusives

Hello all,

I am just starting to get interested in comic book collecting and have been luring on this forum for many months.

My question mainly deals with midtown exclusive covers. Are these generally seen as good flip or long term hold candidates? I am pretty interested in the ASM - Renew your Vows Midtown variant but also don't want to buy something that will immediately be worthless.

How do you guys feel about midtown variants?

Thanks so much for the info.
BullsRodmanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to IndySportsCards

They are limited, and it really depends on the book and artist. I think the Renew Your Vows by Granov may have some long term desirability to it simply because it's gorgeous. On top of that, it's Spider-Man related, and Spider-man SELLS.

Spider-man has what they call in the sports card world "Hobby Love"..
Old 05-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info Indy. Have you noticed if the midtown variants go up in value slower or faster than other variants? The whole variant phenomenon is truly fascinating to me.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullsRodmanFan View Post
Thanks for the info Indy. Have you noticed if the midtown variants go up in value slower or faster than other variants? The whole variant phenomenon is truly fascinating to me.

Thanks.
I believe it goes back to Artist/Content on the cover as Indy referenced. The artists that have stuck out to me in about six months since I have been noticing. Adam Highes seems to have biggest following I have seen.
JSC Scott Cambell I think is up there as well.

I have liked some Noto covers as well.

Now I have a question for anybody that can answer.

Does Granov have a following?

If not, why. His cover of ASM 604 is at least amazing to me.

Op I wish you well in whatever you decide.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”
― Isaac Asimov
itsinusall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indysportscards View Post
they are limited, and it really depends on the book and artist. I think the renew your vows by granov may have some long term desirability to it simply because it's gorgeous. On top of that, it's spider-man related, and spider-man sells.

Spider-man has what they call in the sports card world "hobby love"..
granov is not a mt variant ... Its an uk shops

i hate to say this but
midtowns variant lately have been over produced ... Its more than the usually 3k/1.5k rations that the smaller shops do
Old 05-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsinusall View Post
I believe it goes back to Artist/Content on the cover as Indy referenced. The artists that have stuck out to me in about six months since I have been noticing. Adam Highes seems to have biggest following I have seen.
JSC Scott Cambell I think is up there as well.

I have liked some Noto covers as well.

Now I have a question for anybody that can answer.

Does Granov have a following?

If not, why. His cover of ASM 604 is at least amazing to me.

Op I wish you well in whatever you decide.

I think you're talking about ASM 602 I don't remember there being a Granov cover for 604

Last edited by Izzo; 05-19-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Izzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullsRodmanFan View Post
Hello all,

I am just starting to get interested in comic book collecting and have been luring on this forum for many months.

My question mainly deals with midtown exclusive covers. Are these generally seen as good flip or long term hold candidates? I am pretty interested in the ASM - Renew your Vows Midtown variant but also don't want to buy something that will immediately be worthless.

How do you guys feel about midtown variants?

Thanks so much for the info.
From someone who is just getting back into the hobby a mistake I made early on was trying to get variants from the likes of MidTown with the hope that they would increase in value over the short term. It doesn't work like that, most don't increase and most can be found on eBay shortly after for discounted prices.

My advice is watch Indy's hot book alert thread that is weekly and you will start to see trends as to what does or doesn't take off. Once you have a feel for that you will be better off and it will help you avoid ordering variants in advance that drop at release.

I think your best bet is to buy what you like on the aftermarket. There are going to be some here and there that you end up paying more for but the savings discount you achieve from the others will almost always make up for the every once in a while hit you happen to take. First and foremost by what you like whether it be character / title / artist or whatever and have fun with it.

Best of luck!
pjray55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Variants drove me out of the hobbies back in 06/07 there was just so many and the ones that I liked where either snapped on Wednesday morning while I was at work or put on eBay by shop owners and never hit the stands.

I would say the best advice I can give is narrow down your list of titles and research the books to find out what variants or 1st Character Apperances are coming that you might want so you can plan your purchases better.

Normally unless it's a super short print (1:200,300,500) prices will peak around the books release day and then stabilize soon afterwards as more pop up on eBay from collectors Wednesdays Hauls. #1's and character 1st appearances issues and those issue variants are usually safe bets and have the most room to rise in value but you probably already know that. Some artist have a huge following (Campbell, Hughes, Ramos) but their variants are not always safe for long term investment so don't jump blindly on the hype train.

Good luck!
Izzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
I think you're talking about ASM 602 I don't remember there being a Granov cover for 604
I stand corrected. But none the less a great cover.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”
― Isaac Asimov
itsinusall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hello,

I truly appreciate everyone's insight. It mens a great deal that you all took the time to help a lowly newbie like me.

Thanks.