Blowout Cards Forums
buying

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

ComicBookJunkie Post your comic hobby talk here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is anyone else over the Variants?

No, this isn't a hate vs not hate post.

I'm just stating if anyone else is over the Variant rage? I picked up several Gamestop variants of Secret Wars over the weekend and I loved them - the covers were awesome. But then I got to thinking about the rest of the variants - I shouldn't have done that.

What I found was so many variants, it was not only mind-boggling, but also sickening; I couldn't stand looking at a Spider-Whatever variant or another mini-series with more variant covers that Starbucks locations.

I literally just gave up. I vowed not to purchase any other books other than the ones that I absolutely thought the cover was killer. As a matter of fact (I'm going to get flamed on this one) but I'M DONE WITH ADAM HUGHES COVERS. I looked at several and they bled together, one right after another. Nice art, even better inking, but nearly identical in every way, with hardly an imaginative thought through the art. Sure there were a few covers that I thought were really nice, but overall, I see him being the Norman Rockwell of comic book covers.

Have any of you starting waning away from the Variants? They're overblown in my opinion and most do not seem to add any real intrinsic value to the overall book.

I think I am done with variants - I'll only pick up one if the work screams at me. That is all
Old 05-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not in the re-sell game so all the stuff I buy is for my personal collection. That being said, when it comes to variants I only buy the ones in which I really enjoy the cover art.
Vashalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can't get enough Star Wars variants.

Everything else is at the point of total overkill.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

To collect variant covers with the hope of them appreciating over time is foolish, in my opinion. If you're in it to make money, it's better to invest in key issues and first appearances of Gold/Silver/Bronze and some Copper books.

I collect mostly for the PC. I went "all-in" on Spider-Gwen and picked up all the covers because I dig the character. For Star Wars, I buy the action figure variants for the nostalgia, plus I think they're cool. And I've started doing the same for Secret Wars even though I swore I wouldn't (I had the Daredevil and Doc Ock action figures as a kid).

If a cover catches my eye, I'll buy it. But I'm finished buying because of what all the spec sites tell me to buy. I'm back to my "buy what you like" way of thinking from before I started dabbling in speculation. I've overpaid on variant covers in the past (House of M #1 Quesada variant for $50 back in the day, UGH) and I'm done doing that.
Mysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Texans81 Send a message via Yahoo to Texans81

the way my comic shop is set up is there's the rack with the new releases every week and then if you turn around there's another rack with all of the variants...

I don't even turn around anymore...
Texans81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedliquids View Post
No, this isn't a hate vs not hate post.

I'm just stating if anyone else is over the Variant rage? I picked up several Gamestop variants of Secret Wars over the weekend and I loved them - the covers were awesome. But then I got to thinking about the rest of the variants - I shouldn't have done that.

What I found was so many variants, it was not only mind-boggling, but also sickening; I couldn't stand looking at a Spider-Whatever variant or another mini-series with more variant covers that Starbucks locations.

I literally just gave up. I vowed not to purchase any other books other than the ones that I absolutely thought the cover was killer. As a matter of fact (I'm going to get flamed on this one) but I'M DONE WITH ADAM HUGHES COVERS. I looked at several and they bled together, one right after another. Nice art, even better inking, but nearly identical in every way, with hardly an imaginative thought through the art. Sure there were a few covers that I thought were really nice, but overall, I see him being the Norman Rockwell of comic book covers.

Have any of you starting waning away from the Variants? They're overblown in my opinion and most do not seem to add any real intrinsic value to the overall book.

I think I am done with variants - I'll only pick up one if the work screams at me. That is all
Plus 1. Exactly!

I'll keep doing the Star Wars Toy variants, until they pull another Bobba Fett. Then I'm out. I've had the urge to go to GameStop to pickup just one of the Secret Wars. Still deciding.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Variant covers are a way to help LCS get a little extra for a specialized cover. In addition, variants provide a chance to get art from folks who are not doing sequentials on books, like Hughes and JSC. So to answer the question, no, I am not over variants, since they do serve a purpose and really do not significantly affect the overall print run of most books. However, if you are a completist, then I definitely understand the frustrations.
Gwen Stacy(Spider-Gwen)

DigsUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I never liked variants. I got a few Adam Hughes variants, but his reg covers are just as good or better a lot of the time. Now they do a variant set for every regular monthly release...lame as crap.

Only got yourselves to blame, cause they only make what u buy.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Love variants only because the cover art is nicer 95% of the time.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

I like the fact that the variant market probably helps support comics shops and the artists that are hired to make them.

I can see how it would bug old, traditional collectors, but a lot of things have changed since 1986, so get over it! hahahaw!

The "old, collector" in me is sort of annoyed when a new series has like a 100 variants for the first issue(I'm exaggerating, but think Wytches #1 or Descender) just because I think it sort of takes away from the iconic first issue cover.
MisterNatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

I look at variants differently so I like variants. The way I look at it variant covers are a way to try and do something for some who may prefer it over the regular cover. Some will want all the variants, some will just buy the ones they like but no one is actually telling you to buy every variant there is out there. So why blame the abundance of variants just buy the ones you like. As an example Skottie Young is my fav artist and when I can I buy his variant covers over the regular covers. I don't have ever SY cover by any means and that's not my goal.
rw0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am trying to limit it to covers I like, beyond pull list. That way I can narrow my focus on more key firsts appearances, major events, other Keys.

Got a goal to keep preordering under $100 a month, you know starting next month.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”
― Isaac Asimov
itsinusall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

I am actually over Modern Age at this point, too stupid stories, kill off here and there and bring em back for money. Sticking with SA unless something really jumps out..
kyleg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Skottie Young variants never get old!

Collect what you like.
CxG Voodoo Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

I rather enjoy the funny variant covers...I go searching for Deadpool variant covers that make me laugh, I do not care about getting them all. I even found some of the movie poster Superman variants, they make me laugh so I will buy them. I refuse to go after all the variants just for completion sake. Variants help keep shops in business, I love searching threw boxes for covers I enjoy, I can do that likely cheaper online but its not nearly as fun.
BravesFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CxG Voodoo Doll View Post
Skottie Young variants never get old!

Collect what you like.
lol love the baby versions of superheros they are just so damn cute!
rw0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #17 (permalink)

After today, I'll be done with the Secret Wars action figure variants. All I wanted in this line was Wolverine, Black Panther and Deadpool. However, I will continue to collect Star Wars. It has a special place in my heart as I still remember till this day playing with them.
Rip67vdub is online now   Reply With Quote