Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Group Case Breaks > Completed/Closed Group Case Breaks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscollector View Post
I fairly certain my LCS would be able to host a break like this after normal business hours. I'm sure others would too.

I think we should go big on this. Rather than do a "shares break" for 3-5 cases it's better to go as big as possible. Better chance to get some serious pulls (Super fractors, Red refractors, Parallel sets) larger prospect lots.

We will definitely need to do our research. This would have been horrible to do with 2008 Bowman Chrome

I'd be interested to hear from the other Michigan guys and see if they would be up to being a part of large scale break like this.
I think you are missing the point if you go too big you flood the market and hurt your overall profits on cards and lets face it you don't need 25 copies of Auto (X) ending withing 10 minutes of each other! if you try four or five cases you are more likely to get enough to participate if try and go for 100 cases you might not ever be able to get enough people to participate in. My suggestion of a small amount of cases is to see how it goes the first time and make sure there are no hickups plus one person can host the break live and there is no need to do 20 case here 20 case there.
weatherwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #27 (permalink)

I agree in principle to not flooding the market. Part of going big would be bringing the board together. Spreading the break responsibilities between 2 or more locations could bring Posters together. Rather than setting a goal of 100 cases. You could just keep it open ended $100 a share if 10 people get on board buy as much as $1,000 would buy. If 100 people participate buy $10,000 worth of cases etc.
#1 Tim Shaw collector.
Formerly Tigerstarpcrew

Last edited by Wiscollector; 01-24-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Wiscollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #28 (permalink)

Kara...are you looking to open a previous product (2008 Bowman Draft...2007 Bowman Chrome or look down the road and buy a 2009 Bowman Product (draft chrome, base?)
#1 Tim Shaw collector.
Formerly Tigerstarpcrew
Old 01-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscollector View Post
Kara...are you looking to open a previous product (2008 Bowman Draft...2007 Bowman Chrome or look down the road and buy a 2009 Bowman Product (draft chrome, base?)
Maybe down the road. Maybe something that is really cheap right now that seems like a good deal. 2006 Bowman Chrome Draft seems real low right now, but it would probably be tough to get 100 cases. If we did this on here and gave advance notice, 100 cases of an upcoming product would be easier.

I know that someone bought 67 cases of 2007 Bowman Draft last year, so 100 isn't that much further of a reach.

I'm open to suggestions. Also, with the cost of shipping 100 cases, we might be able to get a discount if someone with a minivan could pick them up. We'll figure it out if we do this.
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #30 (permalink)

KMD,

I like the sounds of this idea/break. Just let me know once we get some good figures, information, product...ect. And if something does happen with spliting the cases up in two different areas, I am right next to Michigan and would be more than happy to break there. Or my Condo community has a community house that is open to us (we just have to tell them when) and I could get the place on a certain weekend for breaking (I am in Toledo....northside of Ohio near Mich.). Anyways, just some thoughts.

And to all, maybe we could try and keep the worthless information/statements out of the thread. I really wasn't too happy reading through 15 mins worth of crap statements just to get to the good points of this thread.

Always Looking For Zetterberg Patch Autos

Last edited by vortekv8; 01-24-2009 at 04:19 PM.
vortekv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #31 (permalink)

KMD, this sounds good. I'm in.

RIP PAPAJIM
keggobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #32 (permalink)

I'd be interested. Pending the details of course.
dallasstars29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsportscards View Post
Just a little info for you hockeyjunkie99. I was buying cases of cards when you were still your parents pipe dream. I have been in this buisness since 1983 buying cases, collecting them, busting them and selling them. I also joined this board in October of 2007 just as you did. As for the comment " I'm sure KMD doesn't want just any local member there(Noobs & What not) " I really do not appreciate it. Think of what you are going to say before you start spitting them out!!! I always enjoy reading this Forum. I use a lot of the information that is given out here and I am very happy that the members share it. Sorry to ramble just had to get this off my chest.
You must have stopped reading after that sentence!!!

Plus I would not be suprised that there could be a lot of sheisty people (most of the "noobs") that would open up product and pocket something. That does have ot be taken into consideration as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkit View Post
And what is your definition of a (noob) and (what not) if your not going to participate why make a statement like that??
Did I say I was not participating???

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherwarrior View Post
the only problem you may run into is who handles the auctions? are all auctions gonna be .01 and let it fly? What if you pull superfractor auto's and red refractor auto's these usually sell better via BIN options when you have certain San Francisco Buisness tycoons scooping up high BIN's. Certain cards can obviously sell better depending on what type auction is used. I personally have seen cards sell for several hundred dollars more on a BIN than on a straight up auction.

Also $60k is almost 100 cases of chrome beign listed on ebay at once and it could hurt your overall profits on the break! I mean 100 cases is a lot to list at one time.

Why not start out small like $103(to cover paypal fees) a share for 25 shares that is 4 cases plus supplies(toploaders, sleeves etc.) Sell it all off and then distribute the profit.

I mean a smaller break like this could work on the boards and with less risk to everyone. This way you could make sure it works there are no hickups and the break could be done via ustream.com

JMO
John

I like this idea. Start a little smaller, kind of a trial run. What about 09 Products like Topps Jumbo or Heritage.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to coaltowncards

Love the concept, I would buy a share and am willing to help in any way!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #36 (permalink)

TimC came up with doing a break back in 11/07 with members getting together in the Springfield, Illinois area. Sorry to say it fizzled out, but I thought there seemed to be a decent amount of interest in doing it. The concept was basically what you have mentioned. If you get something worked out I would be interested.
hargy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #37 (permalink)

Super idea. Would be more interested in the larger quantity break, many more possibilities of better and varied pulls, putting sets together, subsets and variations in the sets.
One question would be about listings: even though it would be a nightmare for one person to do it all, having one account with all the listings makes it a bit easier for everyone to track. Maybe having 2 or 3 people with access to one account break up the listing job.
Those 2 or 3 people are also going to be hitting the PO quite often.

I haven't participated in any group breaks but this sounds like a super but labor intensive project, but count me in for multiple slots!!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #38 (permalink)

Keep throwing ideas out folks! I will get the slot list posted when I'm convinced we can pull this off.

It was also suggested to do $100 a share and open up 600 shares. The reason I did it at $200 is because I don't think anyone will be jerking around on this at $200. I'm open to adjusting upward or downward.

Also, we don't have a product yet. If the 2009 Bowman Chrome checklist sucks eggs, we will find another product.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #39 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to deboesports

now is this only baseball products? not sure if i missed something or not in reading.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #40 (permalink)

I would be interested... obviously depending on which product we decide on though.
LonestarCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboesports View Post
now is this only baseball products? not sure if i missed something or not in reading.
Baseball is probably the best one to do a big break on. Open to other products.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:20 PM   #42 (permalink)

KMD i am very interested in doing this...if it gets going i want in for at least 3 shares...i am also only about 20 mins from easton...i hope this gets off the ground cause this could be a great idea...
Old 01-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #43 (permalink)

I'd be in and willing to help break...where at and when in Easton?

The problem is that everybody tries to rip everybody off!
MrSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cdog11ksc Send a message via Yahoo to cdog11ksc

if it was in the NY area and on the weekend i could give a hand with this break as well
cdog11ksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #45 (permalink)

You would have to do a break with potentially massive hits. Only baseball product that comes to mind would be legendary cuts.
sportzluvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

I would probably be in.

What about
2008 Razor Cut Signature Oval Office Edition ??????????

ebaycatdogoo
ryanmanley@hotmail.com
ebaycatdogoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaycatdogoo View Post
I would probably be in.

What about
2008 Razor Cut Signature Oval Office Edition ??????????

ebaycatdogoo
ryanmanley@hotmail.com

Well if that was a joke, haha.

If it isn't, the odds of taking a huge loss on that are big. There are few autographs that are going to go for more than $1k. If we spend $2K a pack on five packs and don't hit anything its a big loss.

Oh, and my office is in Emmaus.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

It wasn't a joke but now that I look at it, I totally understand.

I think 07 Bowman Draft and 07 Sterling would be good if you could find enough of them.
ebaycatdogoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #49 (permalink)

I still think Bowman products (base, chrome, draft, sterling) are the best products to open. You can sell almost everything. Base, parallel, hits.
#1 Tim Shaw collector.
Formerly Tigerstarpcrew
Old 01-26-2009, 01:20 AM   #50 (permalink)

Again 09 Topps or Heritage.