Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Group Case Breaks > Completed/Closed Group Case Breaks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Share Profits Break Concept

OK, if there is anyone who rants about the old days, its me. So I figure, lets try something we tried a few years ago. Lets do a share profits break (doesn't fit into group break perfectly but whatever).

Lets target a product that can be broken for profit, and do a deal where we buy shares in it and break it in one place.

I'm thinking one of the Bowman Chrome baseball products. Preliminary rules are this:

1. Share price $200, 300 shares ($60K buys a lot of chrome)
2. Must be over 18 (I don't hate you kids, but you can't be in a contract)
3. Break should be held in a location where several shareholders will be, this will shrink the workload and ensure the integrity of the break
4. Breakers should get something, maybe one share or something like that for the work involved.

Break would be held, cards would be sold, then sales would be added up and proceeds would go by share.

For example, lets say our break is wildly successful and we get $120K out of a $60K purchase. Each shareholder gets $400 per share. If the break is a bomb and we lose money on it, each shareholder gets a portion of their share back. Am I making sense? Is there interest?

My first thoughts would be NEPA would be a good place for this, and I'm willing to let some of this be done in my office. We could even set up a live streaming webcam if there was interest. The Webcam would have to be off when a client calls etc. but we can work out logistics.

Post if interested. Again, please do not post if you are under 18, we don't hate you but you can't form a contract. If this goes well it will be an annual thing you can join when you come of age.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

i am interested in this. what about ebay fees and other things such as top loaders and supplies?

Last edited by alexc; 01-24-2009 at 10:14 AM.
alexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

I might be willing to give this a try, not a far drive for me just across the state.
ajsportscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

I for one would be interested. I've been trying to find someone locally to do this with me. (Well, not $60k worth, but a decent amount). But I haven't been able to find anyone yet. I'd be curious to see a little more of the details. Like how would us "share holders" be able to track how things are being sold. Things like that.
DawgFight24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

When is product due out?

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would be interested in this. I dont think i'm to far away bucks county pa!! I would love to help bust the product which ever it is!! Let me know if this is going to work!!

Thanks

Rick
kidkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbellis74

$200.00 is a lot of coinage for me right now but this does sound intriguing.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkit View Post
I would be interested in this. I dont think i'm to far away bucks county pa!! I would love to help bust the product which ever it is!! Let me know if this is going to work!!

Thanks

Rick
We should break it like a big fantasy baseball draft...multiple people in one room busting packs and drinking beers haha
Old 01-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'd be very interested and PA is just around the corner for me...

Always looking for vintage graded cards
maculay75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellis74 View Post
We should break it like a big fantasy baseball draft...multiple people in one room busting packs and drinking beers haha
That sounds like alot of fun!! I can't imagine busting so much product but god would it be fun lol!!!
Old 01-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'm sure KMD doesn't want just any local member there(Noobs & What not). I could be wrong but he's probably looking for some of the more Local Senior members to help him with the break if it does happen.

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

So if you are local and a noob and invest money you couldn't participate in the break? Thats like saying if you own stock in a company you can't go to a stockholders meeting. Not trying to make a fuss but that seems odd.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Relax guys. Ask KMD directly and let him get back to you. No need to GUESS what his ideas or thoughts are. This is just a discussion, albeit an interesting one.
rudyjustinfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjustinfarrell View Post
Relax guys. Ask KMD directly and let him get back to you. No need to GUESS what his ideas or thoughts are. This is just a discussion, albeit an interesting one.
Im no where near PA just thought it would be fun lol

I dont think ive opened more than 2 boxes at once so I am sure it would be overwhelming
Old 01-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjunkie99 View Post
I'm sure KMD doesn't want just any local member there(Noobs & What not). I could be wrong but he's probably looking for some of the more Local Senior members to help him with the break if it does happen.

And what is your definition of a (noob) and (what not) if your not going to participate why make a statement like that??
Old 01-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually, sure. If you're a share holder, come on out, the more the merrier. Besides, if this goes off, we'll need help sorting. I'm going to keep this post up for a few days, and if we get some real interest, we'll start claiming shares.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

KMD, if you come up with a concrete product and when you want to do this I would probably be in for at least 1. I'm not terribly far away, so if it went down on a weekend I could likely make the trip to help out.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Just a little info for you hockeyjunkie99. I was buying cases of cards when you were still your parents pipe dream. I have been in this buisness since 1983 buying cases, collecting them, busting them and selling them. I also joined this board in October of 2007 just as you did. As for the comment " I'm sure KMD doesn't want just any local member there(Noobs & What not) " I really do not appreciate it. Think of what you are going to say before you start spitting them out!!! I always enjoy reading this Forum. I use a lot of the information that is given out here and I am very happy that the members share it. Sorry to ramble just had to get this off my chest.
ajsportscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'd be interested in being a part of this. What about a few different locations for opening. I know there are a few regular posters in Michigan. If there are 100 cases divide it up between a few locations if it is to big to do in one location.

2008 Bowman would have been a great product to do when they first came out. I like the idea of doing a baseball bowman product.
#1 Tim Shaw collector.
Formerly Tigerstarpcrew
Wiscollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

I would be interested in a position or 2
lexus2903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

Damn, I'd be all over this if you were busting in Northern CA.
anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #22 (permalink)

the only problem you may run into is who handles the auctions? are all auctions gonna be .01 and let it fly? What if you pull superfractor auto's and red refractor auto's these usually sell better via BIN options when you have certain San Francisco Buisness tycoons scooping up high BIN's. Certain cards can obviously sell better depending on what type auction is used. I personally have seen cards sell for several hundred dollars more on a BIN than on a straight up auction.

Also $60k is almost 100 cases of chrome beign listed on ebay at once and it could hurt your overall profits on the break! I mean 100 cases is a lot to list at one time.

Why not start out small like $103(to cover paypal fees) a share for 25 shares that is 4 cases plus supplies(toploaders, sleeves etc.) Sell it all off and then distribute the profit.

I mean a smaller break like this could work on the boards and with less risk to everyone. This way you could make sure it works there are no hickups and the break could be done via ustream.com

JMO
John
weatherwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #23 (permalink)

2008 bowman would be great to do, at the price, but, again, ive seen quite a few cases come out with 8-9 chrome autos instead of 12. There isnt enough solid fy prospects to hold this product up. Plus, we've seen most of the goods come out of this product already. I believe the superfractor autos have been pulled of price, laporta, fairley, aprencibia, hynick, heyward, bachanov, moustakas, borbon, smoker, and jarrod parker. And thats just what i've seen.
sportzluvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscollector View Post
I'd be interested in being a part of this. What about a few different locations for opening. I know there are a few regular posters in Michigan. If there are 100 cases divide it up between a few locations if it is to big to do in one location.

2008 Bowman would have been a great product to do when they first came out. I like the idea of doing a baseball bowman product.
That's an idea. We'd have to coordinate with each other if we were trying to build parallel sets. Like if we did 100 cases of Bowman chrome and the Michigan crew had an Xfractor that was needed to finish the PA crew's set.

Keep up the ideas guys. BTW, my office is 160 square feet, so we might need another location if this really took off. The wife would divorce me if we did this at my apartment.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #25 (permalink)

I fairly certain my LCS would be able to host a break like this after normal business hours. I'm sure others would too.

I think we should go big on this. Rather than do a "shares break" for 3-5 cases it's better to go as big as possible. Better chance to get some serious pulls (Super fractors, Red refractors, Parallel sets) larger prospect lots.

We will definitely need to do our research. This would have been horrible to do with 2008 Bowman Chrome

I'd be interested to hear from the other Michigan guys and see if they would be up to being a part of large scale break like this.
#1 Tim Shaw collector.
Formerly Tigerstarpcrew
Wiscollector is offline   Reply With Quote