Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Group Case Breaks > Completed/Closed Group Case Breaks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #576 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Case 1

Case 2

Case 3

Case 4

Case 5

Old 06-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #577 (permalink)

Case 6

Case 7

Case 8

Case 9

Case 10

Old 06-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #578 (permalink)

Thanks for putting up the scans imnotded
hobbiewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #579 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotded View Post
I am thinking of doing a Topps Chrome break with this format so feedback is very helpful.
Great idea -- count me in.
JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #580 (permalink)

thanks for hosting. great job
robdijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #581 (permalink)

I will be sending a BGS order out this week. Let me know if you want anything graded, I can submit it for you. Will be doing 10 days sub. I will give an honest opinion on if I think that you should grade or not as well. I'm no expert, but I can physically see the card while you guys cant yet.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:55 AM   #582 (permalink)

I have a Bauer auto from case 5 and a Jacob Turner orange refractor from case 9. Worth grading?
JFray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:59 AM   #583 (permalink)

I do like this format by the way. Seems very equitable...
JFray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #584 (permalink)

<------buys Nimmo base autos
Old 06-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #585 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I will be sending a BGS order out this week. Let me know if you want anything graded, I can submit it for you. Will be doing 10 days sub. I will give an honest opinion on if I think that you should grade or not as well. I'm no expert, but I can physically see the card while you guys cant yet.
Hey im intersted in sending in my Bundy Ref Auto if it looks good to you. As well as the Harper too.

Let me know.

OJ
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #586 (permalink)

I'm considering grading the Case 2 A. Bradley and the Case 9 Bauer, although the A.B. centering looks off top-bottom and the T.B. looks off left-right. I'm no expert by any means, but I'm reluctant to get base autos graded if they're going to be 9's at best.

imnotded, whatcha think my dude?
Old 06-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #587 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback rondog2001. I want to know if people dont like, or do like, a draft format.

The reason that I did it this way was that for $250+ I wanted everyone at least a shot at a top 5 auto. But if people do not like the format and not say anything I will assume that everyone liked it and I will use the format in the future. I am thinking of doing a Topps Chrome break with this format so feedback is very helpful.
I probably would not participate in this format in the future. I appreciate the work you have done on it but for me there are a few reasons.

1. With such variety in cases I think you can be too hit or miss which is exceedingly frustrating. (I have bob in case 1, 4, 8 and hits in cases 2, 3)

2. It is impossible to make player lots this way and thus selling player lots afterwards is pretty pointless. For example a 10 case break that yields say 30 chrome cards of player x might yield you a somewhat decent resale price but 3 of them will not.

3. I prefer feast or famine personally, go big or go home. Spending this much money on a break I would rather have had a chance at the royals (my pick at slot 5) in all the cases then just 2 of them... Even if it were the pirates or mariners, who incidently enough had some of the rarer hits (print plate, orange, golds, etc.)

Thanks, Bryan
Old 06-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #588 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidersfan1983 View Post
I probably would not participate in this format in the future. I appreciate the work you have done on it but for me there are a few reasons.

1. With such variety in cases I think you can be too hit or miss which is exceedingly frustrating. (I have bob in case 1, 4, 8 and hits in cases 2, 3)

2. It is impossible to make player lots this way and thus selling player lots afterwards is pretty pointless. For example a 10 case break that yields say 30 chrome cards of player x might yield you a somewhat decent resale price but 3 of them will not.

3. I prefer feast or famine personally, go big or go home. Spending this much money on a break I would rather have had a chance at the royals (my pick at slot 5) in all the cases then just 2 of them... Even if it were the pirates or mariners, who incidently enough had some of the rarer hits (print plate, orange, golds, etc.)

Thanks, Bryan
I definitely understand where you're coming from. But let's just say, for example, the Pirates did NOT end up with all those rare hits. Imagine being stuck with THEM for an entire 10-case break? There are no autos to look forward to...the best you can hope for is a plate, a superfractor, or a smattering of low-numbered colors. And then imagine getting NONE of those...you just dropped $260 bucks on a handful of Alex Presley rookie cards, zing!

I think the fewer cases there are, the better a traditional draft works. It stings less to get the Pirates for $130 over 5 cases than $260 over 10 cases. I also think the ladder draft format improves with an increase in the number of cases. Picture this exact same format with 20 cases. With the #2 pick, you would end up with, what, 6 top 5 picks? There are also probably better ways to stagger it with more than 10 cases.

Either way, I think that each format has its pros and cons and each is suitable for different use cases. For this particular break, I think the ladder draft was a creative way to spread the wealth a little bit.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #589 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
I definitely understand where you're coming from. But let's just say, for example, the Pirates did NOT end up with all those rare hits. Imagine being stuck with THEM for an entire 10-case break? There are no autos to look forward to...the best you can hope for is a plate, a superfractor, or a smattering of low-numbered colors. And then imagine getting NONE of those...you just dropped $260 bucks on a handful of Alex Presley rookie cards, zing!

I think the fewer cases there are, the better a traditional draft works. It stings less to get the Pirates for $130 over 5 cases than $260 over 10 cases. I also think the ladder draft format improves with an increase in the number of cases. Picture this exact same format with 20 cases. With the #2 pick, you would end up with, what, 6 top 5 picks? There are also probably better ways to stagger it with more than 10 cases.

Either way, I think that each format has its pros and cons and each is suitable for different use cases. For this particular break, I think the ladder draft was a creative way to spread the wealth a little bit.
Ive entered my fair share of these breaks that go lopsided and those that come in favourable.

I was in the Big Boy 3 case 2012 bowman break. Only 10 of us in it with 3 teams per case. Fortunately I grabbed Case 1- #9 slot, Case 2- #2 slot, Case 3- #1 slot. I probably had the best slots possible in this 3 teams per case break. I walked away with no colour, no autos (no base autos either). I literally walked away with absolutely nothing from this break except a bunch of chrome base and maybe a blue base refractor from 3 cases and the best draft spots. It was luck of the draw as our cases were filled with in the middle team hit.

I think with larger case breaks like this, people need to figure out how much risk they are willing to take on for the slot price. It must meet your budget and you much be willing to take the risk at that budget price. I spend close to $400 on that big boy break and walked away with 0 auto. I might have got back maybe $50 in resale from it. Im fine with that knowing full well that I chased the Harper and Darvish from those cases.

Also need to factor in Huge luck. It takes more luck than anything. Getting the #1 pick doesnt gaurentee you anything. The luck must play for the teams to fall for the money hit.

If some people are looking for less risk, just join small case breaks. The bigger the case break, the larger the risk and the more luck needed to hit money cards.

I had the the Blue Jays in 2 cases within this break. 1 case hit nothing and the other case hit an orange ref for me. I had 2 USA slots, 1 case hit nothing and other hit a gold ref auto. I also had Nationals in 2 cases. 1 case hit nothing and lucky for me the 9th case hit the Harper. Could have easily been in case 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,10 and I wouldnt be the lucky one. I just beat the odds.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #590 (permalink)

I think that this format would be better for a Bowman Jumbo multi case break as there are more hits per case and more of a chance to not be skunked.

In a break like draft where the hits are limited. Maybe if you do 3 groups of drafts. IE cases 1 - 4, 5 - 8...ect this way everyone will get a decent team/player pick and takes out the random bad luck of having bundy in case 3 but he hits in 1 and 4...Which is what happened to me multiple times in this draft.
rondog2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #591 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog2001 View Post
I think that this format would be better for a Bowman Jumbo multi case break as there are more hits per case and more of a chance to not be skunked.

In a break like draft where the hits are limited. Maybe if you do 3 groups of drafts. IE cases 1 - 4, 5 - 8...ect this way everyone will get a decent team/player pick and takes out the random bad luck of having bundy in case 3 but he hits in 1 and 4...Which is what happened to me multiple times in this draft.
What happens when you split cases and you end with slot 28 and slot 23 in the split? You still get nothing. Thats much worse in my opinion then atleast having the oppurtunity in getting a top 5 selection atleast once!!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #592 (permalink)

I liked this format just the way it was, and would definetaly be interested in doing it again, at this scale, or even a smaller 5 case break.

PC: Zach Ertz Philadelphia Eagles
Divino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #593 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
What happens when you split cases and you end with slot 28 and slot 23 in the split? You still get nothing. Thats much worse in my opinion then atleast having the oppurtunity in getting a top 5 selection atleast once!!
I mean everyone would have a top third, mid third and bottom third pick over whatever the case spans are. I think that is a more equitable way to ensure fairness. You wouldn't have picks 23 and 28... it would be somewhere in picks 1 - 10 then 11 - 20 then 21 - the rest.

Heck why not just join as many individual case breaks as possible. It is basically the same as this format. The reason I wanted to join a 10 case break was for a greater chance to pull something huge. This format does not increase your odds of doing that, as in every case you have a different team.

I guess if I had a lower half pick in this draft and then hit an auto or two on my top tier team picks ir royals, dbacks ect I would be more supportive.
rondog2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #594 (permalink)

Here is a video I made on my thoughts about BGS grading the cards folks above asked about. I did it this way so that I could explain a lot easier without typing a couple hundred words for each card.

BDPP group break BGS opinion, My opinion on weather to grade some cards from our group break imnotded on USTREAM. Baseball

Orangejello727, the Bundy ref auto from case 4 looks good. Small dimple in the surface on the front and the back is slightly OC L/R, but I think it would still get a 9.5.

Last edited by imnotded; 06-18-2012 at 12:42 PM.
imnotded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #595 (permalink)

Are people ok with getting $40 per case of base + shipping?

Or would you rather me auction the cases on eBay?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #596 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Here is a video I made on my thoughts about BGS grading the cards folks above asked about. I did it this way so that I could explain a lot easier without typing a couple hundred words for each card.

BDPP group break BGS opinion, My opinion on weather to grade some cards from our group break imnotded on USTREAM. Baseball

Orangejello727, the Bundy ref auto from case 4 looks good. Small dimple in the surface on the front and the back is slightly OC L/R, but I think it would still get a 9.5.
Thanks for the info. Lets send in the Bundy. Ill keep the Harper ungraded.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #597 (permalink)

Thanks dude for taking the time out to go through those, I really appreciate it! I don't know what's considered "bad" centering, but out of all base autos, it looks like my Bauer is one of the poorer examples. I'm still on the fence with both him and Bradley, but I might be leaning towards "no" for both at this point.

Put it this way: if they were your cards, would you submit them? It sounds like you've had success with grading in the best (and of course, like you said: with BGS, it's always a crapshoot), so I definitely value your opinion.

Thanks again for taking a look for me!
Old 06-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #598 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
Thanks dude for taking the time out to go through those, I really appreciate it! I don't know what's considered "bad" centering, but out of all base autos, it looks like my Bauer is one of the poorer examples. I'm still on the fence with both him and Bradley, but I might be leaning towards "no" for both at this point.

Put it this way: if they were your cards, would you submit them? It sounds like you've had success with grading in the best (and of course, like you said: with BGS, it's always a crapshoot), so I definitely value your opinion.

Thanks again for taking a look for me!
If they were mine I would take a shot at both.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #599 (permalink)
Banned

Id actually like to take a shot with my Bundy Ref auto with a minimum 9.5 grade
Old 06-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #600 (permalink)

Quote:
If they were mine I would take a shot at both.
Cool, let's submit both then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Id actually like to take a shot with my Bundy Ref auto with a minimum 9.5 grade
I haven't personally submitted to BGS myself, does that mean they return it ungraded if it doesn't score 9.5? If so, I'd like to do that.

Also, let me know payment details, etc. when you're ready to go.

Thanks again man...you've been an awesome host for this break.