Blowout Cards Forums
Shop OneStopFanShop.com Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berkshire County, MA
Posts: 6,525
Default Pardon the Rant. I ONLY ACCEPT PAYPAL!

I don't understand people. So one person comes in, buys something off me and then PMs me saying he'll send cash. I don't accept cash and specifically said so on my invoice. He claimed that wasn't enough and now we are in an ebay dispute. So while that is fresh on my mind, another guy bids on a card. I was happy for the sale, but then emails me saying he doesn't participate in paypal and would like to send cash. This is after I had changed my ebay auctions to specifically state "I only accept Paypal Payments as that is the only authorized payment ebay accepts." on them. How plain in daylight is it? Right on top of my terms that I put in every auction?

Yet people still don't get it. Thank God for unpaid buyer assistant. This has been a godsend for me right now and has caused me not to worry as much about these errrrgh people.

If you don't have paypal, please don't use ebay, and DON'T BUY MY CARDS!
__________________
Fooball PC: Ryan Tannehill, Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas
Baseball PC: Wade Boggs, Curt Schilling (SuperCollecting) & Carl Yaz
Hockey, Tuukka Rask & Dougie Hamilton autos & GU
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
alexlazarevich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Posts: 3,300
Default

There is an eBay setting you can turn on in your seller prefs, it forces all bidders to have an associated PayPal account, if they don't have a PayPal account, they can't bid in the first place. That might help you avoid those situations. Of course a buyer could have a PayPal account and still ask to send cash instead, but at least they'd have an account to start with. Hope that helps.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berkshire County, MA
Posts: 6,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazarevich View Post
There is an eBay setting you can turn on in your seller prefs, it forces all bidders to have an associated PayPal account, if they don't have a PayPal account, they can't bid in the first place. That might help you avoid those situations. Of course a buyer could have a PayPal account and still ask to send cash instead, but at least they'd have an account to start with. Hope that helps.
Thanks. I was wondering what that setting was called. Does anyone know? Its getting so frustrating when I have it in my terms right out in front. Do people read the terms? Or do they think the terms don't apply to them?
__________________
Fooball PC: Ryan Tannehill, Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas
Baseball PC: Wade Boggs, Curt Schilling (SuperCollecting) & Carl Yaz
Hockey, Tuukka Rask & Dougie Hamilton autos & GU
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
marino5084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the air
Posts: 6,572
Default

Why not accept the cash or money order? You save on fees and it is only bad for the buyer, gives them less leverage to pull a scam with your product.
__________________
But his name is
James Cortellessa, retired air force, loving grandfather, father and husband,
and the best smartass around.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berkshire County, MA
Posts: 6,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino5084 View Post
Why not accept the cash or money order? You save on fees and it is only bad for the buyer, gives them less leverage to pull a scam with your product.
Cause its illegal to do so on ebay. If I accept cash, its bad leverage for me and I'll have no seller protection on ebay if they send cash. So in other words, I'm the one losing out. I'll take cash on youtube or BO But I won't take cash where they won't allow me to.
__________________
Fooball PC: Ryan Tannehill, Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas
Baseball PC: Wade Boggs, Curt Schilling (SuperCollecting) & Carl Yaz
Hockey, Tuukka Rask & Dougie Hamilton autos & GU
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
Cause its illegal to do so on ebay. If I accept cash, its bad leverage for me and I'll have no seller protection on ebay if they send cash. So in other words, I'm the one losing out. I'll take cash on youtube or BO But I won't take cash where they won't allow me to.
seller protection for what? once they send cash there is nothing the buyer can do to screw you out of the money and card.
gashman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
MasterOfTheDark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 890
Default

Same boat here. Had a few of those in the same week. One of them won an auction and throw an absolute fit that I don't accept money orders or cash and insisted I was in the wrong even though it clearly states in bold letters on my listings that I only accept Paypal. Ah well.

As to the question on why someone doesn't take cash or money orders, I can only give my own opinion, but it is way too easy for a buyer to say they sent the cash (even if they didn't). Not to mention that if the cash actually did get lost in the mail (or stolen or whatever), that buyer will always think of the seller as a thief. There's just nothing good about doing cash through the mail. Risks aren't worth it for either side. On the money order front, just too many fakes out there, too many places that won't cash them (my understanding is even Wal-Mart won't cash the money orders that they sell - I could be wrong, but that's what I hear), and the bank fees are crazy if it bounces. My bank charges either $19 or $26 now (I forget what they recently raised it to, it was one of those two prices) if the money order is fake, bogus, or worthless. Not worth it in any respect for me, so all I take is Paypal.

And really, I don't see why someone wouldn't have Paypal or wouldn't be able to sign up and use it unless they are under 18, at which point they legally can't buy on Ebay anyway, so that's a moot point.
MasterOfTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
MasterOfTheDark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
Cause its illegal to do so on ebay. If I accept cash, its bad leverage for me and I'll have no seller protection on ebay if they send cash. So in other words, I'm the one losing out. I'll take cash on youtube or BO But I won't take cash where they won't allow me to.
Not to disagree, but if it was "illegal" to do so on Ebay, neither you nor the buyer would be able to mark something as "paid". It would all be automatic once someone checked out with Paypal and that would be the only option.

And that's not even pointing out that I have yet to see it written anywhere on Ebay that a seller "can't" take cash or money orders. Sellers can't put it in their listings that they take those forms of payment, but they can still accept them.
MasterOfTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
alexlazarevich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Posts: 3,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
Thanks. I was wondering what that setting was called. Does anyone know? Its getting so frustrating when I have it in my terms right out in front. Do people read the terms? Or do they think the terms don't apply to them?
Site Preferences -> Buyer Requirements -> Edit -> check the box that says: "Block buyers who don't have a PayPal account".

That should make the change right away.

Most buyers, in my experience, actually do read the terms, as long as it isn't more than a couple of small paragraphs. Some don't read it though, and those take time and energy to deal with answering their questions.

And MasterDark is right, I think, it is not illegal to accept cash. I went through this with eBay about a month ago, a buyer kept nagging me if I'd accept a money order, and I kept telling him I couldn't. But I looked into in detail, and found that while eBay says they don't recommend accepting anything but PayPal, they never actually require it. I called eBay to make sure, and it's true, sellers can accept ANY form of payment, but they are not required to accept any form either. (well, if a buyer wants to pay with PayPal, I think the seller has to accept that, right?)

Last edited by alexlazarevich; 10-24-2010 at 09:46 AM.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
dthimesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 16,527
Default

I understand the Money Order thing, although I do take them ONLY if they are USPS money orders though. I have never had anyone want to send cash for an item but I would surely take it. IMO if a bidder wants to send cash now you pretty much have all the leverage in the sale, with the exception of not being able to leave a negative if needed
__________________
Twitter: @thedthimesch
Ustream Channel: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dthimesch
Vaughntv Channel: http://breakers.tv/dthimesch
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino5084 View Post
Why not accept the cash or money order? You save on fees and it is only bad for the buyer, gives them less leverage to pull a scam with your product.
I 100% agree with this.

If someone wants to send me cash, I'm going to take it 100% of the time without losing a single night's sleep over it. I'll then send the card, and if the buyer claims he didn't receive the card, all I have to say is "he didn't pay me yet".

A seller is in total control when accepting cash payments. That's why buyers are not supposed to send cash.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 228
Default

I will always accept a POSTAL Money Order from Ebay. It is not "illegal". I will not accept cash knowingly, although it has showed up on occasion. It will take them longer to get their package this way.

On a non-ebay note.... I collect rent on a daily / weekly basis as part of my job. I get handed cash all day long and DON'T like it. I tell the tenants to get a 7-11 or postal money order (no others) and actually tell them I'll take 5.00 off for their efforts. I add in the 5.00 when I turn it in. Reduces the risk of being robbed in some neighborhoods, but more importantly eliminates any possibility of them saying "I gave him XXX dollars". Really... show me your reciept from the MO company.
mjones6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
cincycardshows.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
I 100% agree with this.

If someone wants to send me cash, I'm going to take it 100% of the time without losing a single night's sleep over it. I'll then send the card, and if the buyer claims he didn't receive the card, all I have to say is "he didn't pay me yet".

A seller is in total control when accepting cash payments. That's why buyers are not supposed to send cash.
exactly right. I wish all of my buyers sent cash. The two rants that I never understand on here are complaining about buyers paying with cash and receiving a toploader with tape on it.
cincycardshows.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berkshire County, MA
Posts: 6,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones6 View Post
I will always accept a POSTAL Money Order from Ebay. It is not "illegal". I will not accept cash knowingly, although it has showed up on occasion. It will take them longer to get their package this way.

On a non-ebay note.... I collect rent on a daily / weekly basis as part of my job. I get handed cash all day long and DON'T like it. I tell the tenants to get a 7-11 or postal money order (no others) and actually tell them I'll take 5.00 off for their efforts. I add in the 5.00 when I turn it in. Reduces the risk of being robbed in some neighborhoods, but more importantly eliminates any possibility of them saying "I gave him XXX dollars". Really... show me your reciept from the MO company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alazarevich View Post
Site Preferences -> Buyer Requirements -> Edit -> check the box that says: "Block buyers who don't have a PayPal account".

That should make the change right away.

Most buyers, in my experience, actually do read the terms, as long as it isn't more than a couple of small paragraphs. Some don't read it though, and those take time and energy to deal with answering their questions.

And MasterDark is right, I think, it is not illegal to accept cash. I went through this with eBay about a month ago, a buyer kept nagging me if I'd accept a money order, and I kept telling him I couldn't. But I looked into in detail, and found that while eBay says they don't recommend accepting anything but PayPal, they never actually require it. I called eBay to make sure, and it's true, sellers can accept ANY form of payment, but they are not required to accept any form either. (well, if a buyer wants to pay with PayPal, I think the seller has to accept that, right?)
Trying not to make this a hobby horse, this is what ebay says are under their Accepted Payments Policy. Please note, neither cash or money orders are listed under here. You can check this out under the help feature for yourself.

Quote:
Our Accepted Payments policy helps ensure that buyers and sellers on eBay are offered safe, convenient payment options.

For most categories, sellers need to offer one or more of the following electronic payment choices:

PayPal
ProPay
Moneybookers
Paymate
Credit card or debit card processed through the seller's Internet merchant account
ebay changed their policy last year and now added unpaid buyer assistant. They can argue till the cows come home and having 4,000 positive buying feedback using cash is not going to help them not receive a NPB strike from ebay.
__________________
Fooball PC: Ryan Tannehill, Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas
Baseball PC: Wade Boggs, Curt Schilling (SuperCollecting) & Carl Yaz
Hockey, Tuukka Rask & Dougie Hamilton autos & GU
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
alexlazarevich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Posts: 3,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
Trying not to make this a hobby horse, this is what ebay says are under their Accepted Payments Policy. Please note, neither cash or money orders are listed under here. You can check this out under the help feature for yourself.
Please notice that they NEVER say that a seller CAN'T accept non-paypal form of payment. (check, cash, etc.)

I'm very familiar with the page you are quoting. If you dig another page or two, you'll see they also say things like: "it is very dangerous to accept cash", "using non-trackable forms of payment are bad for the buyer and seller", etc.

I used to be confused about their payment acceptance policy, so I opened a chat with an eBay rep, and that rep confirmed to me, in writing, that a seller can accept ANY form of payment as long as it doesn't break US or state law. (can't be paid in sex or something like that)

QUOTE from chat with eBay rep:
*****
Heracel A.
It will be up to you if you will allow buyers to pay you through money order or check but we will not be able to trace this transaction if something went wrong.
alexlazarevich
Right, I understand that. So if I accept a check, I'm taking a risk, but I won't break any eBay selling rule, right? I won't hurt my status with you guys if I accept a check?
Heracel A.
That is correct Alex.
*****

I accept any form of payment, checks, cash, money orders, PayPal, etc. I just can't require that. And I have to accept PayPal should a buyer want to pay with it.

Hope this helps,

Alex
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Lockdown32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,557
Default

Ebay sent out emails awhile back saying that sellers can only accept paypal. They can and will end your auctions if you put anywhere in it that you accept payments other than paypal. Sure you can take them, but ebay will do nothing to cover you if you do.
Lockdown32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berkshire County, MA
Posts: 6,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown32 View Post
Ebay sent out emails awhile back saying that sellers can only accept paypal. They can and will end your auctions if you put anywhere in it that you accept payments other than paypal. Sure you can take them, but ebay will do nothing to cover you if you do.
That is what I am concerned about with taking cash on ebay. If I use paypal I have free use of unpaid buyer assistant, which has already helped me out once. If I receive cash, I have no argument with ebay if the person leaves me a negative. If I use paypal, I can get the negative taken off very easy if the person doesn't pay. I would highly recommend that nobody accepts cash payments on ebay.

Oh, by the way, I went under help and found the instructions to change my settings to block every buyer who has 2 unpaid buyer strikes within a month, and that doesn't have a paypal account. Hopefully this will even things out a bit.
__________________
Fooball PC: Ryan Tannehill, Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas
Baseball PC: Wade Boggs, Curt Schilling (SuperCollecting) & Carl Yaz
Hockey, Tuukka Rask & Dougie Hamilton autos & GU
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
That is what I am concerned about with taking cash on ebay. If I use paypal I have free use of unpaid buyer assistant, which has already helped me out once. If I receive cash, I have no argument with ebay if the person leaves me a negative. If I use paypal, I can get the negative taken off very easy if the person doesn't pay. I would highly recommend that nobody accepts cash payments on ebay.
What you are not understanding is that the buyer is the one at risk when they send cash. There is no proof they EVER sent payment if they use cash, you are at no risk at all even if they do leave a negative, you can file non-payment to cover yourself.
toppsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berkshire County, MA
Posts: 6,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppsman View Post
What you are not understanding is that the buyer is the one at risk when they send cash. There is no proof they EVER sent payment if they use cash, you are at no risk at all even if they do leave a negative, you can file non-payment to cover yourself.
Yeah, but that just reeks of dishonesty, and I'm not that type of person. I'd rather play by the rules, and when ebay says they don't accept cash, I don't accept cash. As long as I am a seller on ebay, I will never stoop to shady business.
__________________
Fooball PC: Ryan Tannehill, Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas
Baseball PC: Wade Boggs, Curt Schilling (SuperCollecting) & Carl Yaz
Hockey, Tuukka Rask & Dougie Hamilton autos & GU
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
Yeah, but that just reeks of dishonesty, and I'm not that type of person. I'd rather play by the rules, and when ebay says they don't accept cash, I don't accept cash. As long as I am a seller on ebay, I will never stoop to shady business.
There is nothing shady about accepting cash if that's what the buyer is wanting to send.

I highly recommend ALL sellers accept cash if that is what the buyer is wanting to do. You are in complete control if you accept cash. The buyer is taking 100% of the risks by sending cash. The seller is taking 0% by accepting cash.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
Yeah, but that just reeks of dishonesty, and I'm not that type of person. I'd rather play by the rules, and when ebay says they don't accept cash, I don't accept cash. As long as I am a seller on ebay, I will never stoop to shady business.
It's only shady if you're not reporting your income to the IRS. You ARE reporting your income right? And paying all the appropriate state taxes? Right?
DaClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,878
Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
There is nothing shady about accepting cash if that's what the buyer is wanting to send.

I highly recommend ALL sellers accept cash if that is what the buyer is wanting to do. You are in complete control if you accept cash. The buyer is taking 100% of the risks by sending cash. The seller is taking 0% by accepting cash.
so let me get this straight.

you are against schilling... which is against ebay policies...

but you are okay with sellers accepting cash.......which is also against ebay policies?

gotcha.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycardshows.com View Post
exactly right. I wish all of my buyers sent cash. The two rants that I never understand on here are complaining about buyers paying with cash and receiving a toploader with tape on it.
Maybe you don't untape the top loaders. I do. I seal up all my toploaders with team bags/graded card sleeves. Zero issues. They have a sticky strip and don't come undone.

It is a major pain in the ass to untape a toploader without putting stress on the card, especially thin vintage cards. I don't like to use razors/knives around cards (except for opening boxes) because #@#@#@#@ happens.
__________________
This is a clown forum, bro.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
cincycardshows.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 530
Default

nevermind******

Last edited by cincycardshows.com; 10-25-2010 at 07:17 PM.
cincycardshows.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:04 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
so let me get this straight.

you are against schilling... which is against ebay policies...

but you are okay with sellers accepting cash.......which is also against ebay policies?

gotcha.
It's really not that hard to understand as shill bidding and accepting cash are two completely different issues. Let me put it this way to better help you understand what's actually common sense:

- People have been incarcerated for shill bidding.

- Our United States paper currency, (cash), states, "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private".

To put it in simple terms for you Captain...No one, I repeat, no one will be incarcerated for simply accepting cash as payment for an ebay auction. If they get in trouble, it will be for something other than just accepting cash.

So yes, I'm against the wrongful act of shill bidding and completely for the rightful act of accepting cash as payment for something you offer for sale.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.