Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 04:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gst177
Default My EBay rant .. where do these people come from?

I m an Ebay seller with roughly 2400 stars. My previous account had over 7000. Got an email today and its making me mad.

Ebayer bought a card off of me and in my auctions it clearly states $2.99 delivered confirmation shipping in padded envelope for 1 to 2 cards. Do not bid if you do not agree with my terms.

Ebayer buys a card off of me today, pays for it, and then sends this message ..

why do you charge so much for shipping one card (2.99) when the cost is actually 88 cents to mail, i think i'll pass up on your up for bids items until i win the lotto jackpot

- rodman6940

I m pissed because he s probably gonna leave me low stars on shipping. I think what i charge is comparable to industry standards.

where the heck does he even get .88 cents from?

I was thinking about breaking down every single item to show him my cost but then I m afraid of the negative feedback.

It just kills me.
gst177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yea its hard for sellers to make sure they get "top rated sellers" since many buyers do give low star rating for shipping unless u do free shipping or something.
crazymj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've had this happen twice (I charge $2.95 for shipping) and just explained he gets a penny sleeve, toploader, bubble envelope and first class USPS shipping (1.22-1.39) and this is for SHIPPING AND HANDLING, "I believe you underestimate the costs of running a business, I have dealt with thousands of other buyers with no complaints, so it is quite obvious you don't respect the value of my time or resources when you complain about my completely reasonable shipping costs" If you do not pay I will be forced to file a non-paying buyer complaint within 96hrs. Thanks!

If you deal in high quantities, one feedback won't matter as far as your Top Rated Seller status is concerned. I tend to not hold my tongue when buyers make unreasonable complaints...I had a buyer once complain that I sold him an auction with the title Lebron James auto patch RC 1/1 lot, yet there was no Lebron James auto patch RC #d 1/1 anywhere to be found in the lot (this lot sold for ~$200 for 100cards). I told him to #@#@#@#@ off (in slightly nicer language) as there was a lebron james card, an auto, a patch and a 1/1 all included and that he doesn't have a leg to stand on because every single item in the lot was pictured and listed in the description.I have yet to receive a negative feedback or response from that jackass :P
Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

.88 is what it will cost you to ship a 1oz large letter. There is a postal template you can use to test weither or not the .88 will work, but per the postal service rules a bubble mailer is considered a package.

I'd respond to him letting him know that in order to ship a bubble mailer through paypal (which is abiding by pretty much all of ebay rules, and that he automatically gets the tracking number) its 1.41 (keeping in mind this is for a 1 oz package and its .17 additional per ounce). Then there is the inclusion of supplies (sleeves, toploads, team bags...scotch tape for you haters )

Then you have your costs of the packing materials (bubble mailers, which if you buy from walmart are .50 each thankfully I wont make that mistake again and run out since I prefer mine at .08 each), but then you're either using self stick, printable 8x11 sheets @ .50 each or got a label maker (my label printer was I think 150 bucks so a portion of that has bee included into each sale).
Old 10-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

If you actually go down to the postoffice to pay for shipping for 1-2 cards in a bubble envelope with delivery confirmation it on average will cost 2.36, then factor in supplies. So 2.99 to me is not over priced at all, but I am assuming the majority of people don't consistently go to the post office to ship these kinds of items so they don't understand that 2.99 for 1-2 cards is actually just about right for shipping.

I personally know a guy who sells a lot of low end singles on eBay and he used to start his auctions at .25 and charge 3.00 shipping. He had so many 1 and 2 ratings eBay currently only allows him to list 7 items at a time. So he switched his auctions to a starting price of 2.99-3.99 with free shipping and surprisingly this has not curtailed the sales of his auctions. Seeing his results I have seriously been contemplating starting my opening bid a bit higher and offering free shipping.
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
.scotch tape for you haters )
YOU! just made me laugh
Old 10-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

I charge 3.00 for shipping and I have no problem paying that either. Do these people really think that supplies are free? How about the gas to drive to the post office, that's not free either. These are normal expenses that all businesses factor in when they charge for goods. I think if you state what you are getting as far as shipping goes in your auction the buyer either accepts and pays or moves along, pretty simple. When I see something I want and the shipping is too high, if I really want that card I'll pay it, but I'll still leave positive feedback bc I agreed to those terms as a buyer.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

I charge 3 shipping.

Was 2.50 for years..

bubble mailer
soft sleave
top loader
team bag
paper towels

Always use a DC

Total cost for me is around 2.60-2.70 depending on weight

i ship with in 24 hours..

i have 1 low DSR for shipping out of lat 650 transactions.
Ginter Rip cards...
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gst177

well .. this is what i sent him today .. waiting anxiously to see what he sends back. All this for a card with a winning bid of $4.

Rodman6940

I do not know how much things cost over where you are but since you inquired about my shipping rates, I ll break it down for you.

Postage with confirmation - $1.41
Bubble Envelope - $0.79
Top loader - $0.25
Penny sleeves, labels, ink $0.10
Gas Where I live $3.45 gal $0.49 per mile by
IRS rates.
I checked with other members on Ebay and other boards and this is an industry standard rate.

There is also a disclaimer on the bottom of my auctions which states "DO NOT BID IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH MY TERMS"

If it takes winning the lottery to pay $2.99 for shipping .. you might be in the wrong hobby.
gst177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

The problem is ebay appeals to all the least common denominator idiots out there, the real morons who have no business breathing air, let alone being allowed to spend money.
bigdaddyblue73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst177 View Post
well .. this is what i sent him today .. waiting anxiously to see what he sends back. All this for a card with a winning bid of $4.

Rodman6940

I do not know how much things cost over where you are but since you inquired about my shipping rates, I ll break it down for you.

Postage with confirmation - $1.41
Bubble Envelope - $0.79
Top loader - $0.25
Penny sleeves, labels, ink $0.10
Gas Where I live $3.45 gal $0.49 per mile by
IRS rates.
I checked with other members on Ebay and other boards and this is an industry standard rate.

There is also a disclaimer on the bottom of my auctions which states "DO NOT BID IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH MY TERMS"

If it takes winning the lottery to pay $2.99 for shipping .. you might be in the wrong hobby.

not sure if he had already left you feedback or not before you sent this, but if not..... you may have just assured a negative feedback. It is always in your interest to just leave this kind of stuff alone. Also in your break down I noticed $.79 for a bubble mailer. I don't know how much you sell but if you sell a decent amount you can end up getting bubble mailers for about $.18 on ebay and sometimes cheaper. I know that last remark could come off as me being a smartass but I have no problem with your price breakdowns, I just know some don't think about buying supplies on ebay. Good luck with your sales!
cincycardshows.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

I think your break down of shipping was great I would have done the same thing. Sounds like the buyer is a total doucher in the first place so you have nothing to lose by "educating" him on why you charge what you do for shipping.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizz View Post
I think your break down of shipping was great I would have done the same thing. Sounds like the buyer is a total doucher in the first place so you have nothing to lose by "educating" him on why you charge what you do for shipping.
Agreed.... Education is good. Only thing is hope he left feedback first. Like I just learned yesterday getting burned at work. Everything is a game and sometimes posturing initially and then responding later after feedback would seem to favor you. nice tip by one of the members by the way about the bubble mailers. I didnt think to buy them on E-Bay.....

BTW: I charge about 3 to 3.50 also....It seems to be the standard. The extra 50 cents is when I ship base in a plastic container for base cards when they buy a lot. I havent started to sell on e-bay yet though. I just sell here for now.
bboi30 is offline   Reply With Quote