Blowout Cards Forums
Labor Day

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beckett Topps Sterling Bat Barrels $$$$

2007 Topps Sterling MICKEY MANTLE BAT BARREL Jersey 1/1 - eBay (item 360077533139 end time Aug-17-08 18:31:00 PDT)

Going for $5325 and the Ted Willaims sold for $6K...... If I am not wrong didn't Tkramer sell his Williams for $2-3K? So just beacause beckett authenticated it its worth double, wow don't you wish you would of thought of that man.
jacobbigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

why use beckett to sell a card that will sell itself? so beckett can have a huge chunk of your profits? thats absurd.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
why use beckett to sell a card that will sell itself? so beckett can have a huge chunk of your profits? thats absurd.
Like I said, Tkramer sold his Ted Willaims for 2-3K....beckett sold the same exact card for 6K. Even if beckett takes 25% you are still way ahead.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

so are you saying that beckett selling the card is THE reason the card sold for more?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
so are you saying that beckett selling the card is THE reason the card sold for more?

Yeppers he's right beckett sells it people think it is in someway more trustworthy.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Are you guys talking about having your cards sold on Beckett? Do they have another website that sells your cards or have they always sold your cards when you post them in your collection?

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjunkie99 View Post
Are you guys talking about having your cards sold on Beckett? Do they have another website that sells your cards or have they always sold your cards when you post them in your collection?
has nothing to do with "your collection" thing they have. you contact beckett and they sell on consignment.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
has nothing to do with "your collection" thing they have. you contact beckett and they sell on consignment.
Really??? I'm sure they would want cards in hand then. Do they grade them as well or just sell them in sleeve and toploader you provide?...maybe I'm wrong.....Do you send them a scan of the card then they post it.

My LCS is affiliated with Beckett meaning that when they sell cards for you you can search the cards on the beckett website.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

OMG, I luv Topps Sterling! I can't wait for 2008 version. It be bestest evAr!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Really??? I'm sure they would want cards in hand then. Do they grade them as well or just sell them in sleeve and toploader you provide?...maybe I'm wrong.....Do you send them a scan of the card then they post it.

My LCS is affiliated with Beckett meaning that when they sell cards for you you can search the cards on the beckett website.
i wouldn't know man. im not lucky enough to pull cards like that ask JBS LOL
Old 08-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
i wouldn't know man. im not lucky enough to pull cards like that ask JBS LOL
NONONO C-BO...JBS doesn't pull them....He sells the boxes they come in....lmao

Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobbigshow View Post
If I am not wrong didn't Tkramer sell his Williams for $2-3K? So just beacause beckett authenticated it its worth double, wow don't you wish you would of thought of that man.
As an FYI...those ARE my cards (well, "were" my cards)!! So...yes...I did think of it!

For you crazy "scan or ban" guys, I'll post my personal pictures within the next day or two. Of course, I'll receive the claim that they could be "doctored" pictures from the auction... I work about 2 miles from Beckett so it was pretty to talk about it, then deliver the cards.

Yes, Beckett can realize a nice mark-up on auctions if played right. No guarantees...but consider the following facts:
  • Beckett took the cards to the national and they said they were a HUGE hit, obviously. The "promotion" was amazing.
  • As Jacob noted, my first Williams barrel sold for about $2,500 - which would have netted me $2,200 to $2,300 after fees. I will net almost $4,900 off this one. And the first one sold when Sterling was HOTTEST!
  • One of the other Mantle barrels sold for $4,400 - which would be under $4,000 after fees. If this auction ends at the current price, I will net about $4,300. I bet it will go higher.
  • I never would have dreamed of putting in the auction that it is an early model...but that should be a huge selling point and was noted by the Beckett folks.
  • I have a few friends who like to spend big money on cards...and they absolutely hate e-bay because you never know who you're dealing with. While they definitely have the money, there is absolutely no way they would place a bid on a card of this value - no matter how much they may want it. They would rather pay a nice markup to get it at a store where they can see it than to deal with the uncertainties of e-bay.
  • We have about 5,600 (99.9%) feedback and we sold a Tiger 2001 SP 9.5 for over $5,000. The guy who bought it filed a PayPal claim because I hadn't responded to his e-mail within 12 hours of the auction end. He was a great guy, but was somewhat nervous because I didn't have any other "current" auctions going at the time and thought it could be a scam. Let's face it..."people get nervous when dealing with large amounts of money...that's pretty easy to understand. A "name" like Beckett will undoubtedly take away some/most of that uneasy feeling.

Shoot...do I wish I had the $1,200 I'm going to "pay" Beckett for posting the card? Of course! But, there is absolutely NO WAY that card sells for $6,100 if I sold it on my own....I already tried that!
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

I can't get to the link from work. Is the card slabbed and graded??? Whats the deal?

Old 08-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekramers5 View Post
As an FYI...those ARE my cards (well, "were" my cards)!! So...yes...I did think of it!

For you crazy "scan or ban" guys, I'll post my personal pictures within the next day or two. Of course, I'll receive the claim that they could be "doctored" pictures from the auction... I work about 2 miles from Beckett so it was pretty to talk about it, then deliver the cards.
Yep, I remember TK pulling those barrels a few months ago (and graciously keeping it quiet and not selling right away so those of us with unopened Sterling cases could unload it before word that they were pulled hit). Congrats, TK Beckett is definitely the way to sell stuff like this, even with the commission.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I can't get to the link from work. Is the card slabbed and graded??? Whats the deal?
Yes its graded 7.5
Old 08-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes its graded 7.5
Hmmmm.....I was asking because.....what if I were to send in my Joe D for grading? Would it be worth it?

Old 08-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmmmm.....I was asking because.....what if I were to send in my Joe D for grading? Would it be worth it?
Bat barells are a lot more rarer then the 8 peice cards.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Bat barells are a lot more rarer then the 8 peice cards.
I'm sure.....but it might help the sell price wouldn't it? Does it look nice? Or is it an ugly huge slab its incased in?