Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSJCT View Post
Ebay wants out of the Card business and its obvious.
From a business standpoint, I can't see how this would be the case. Between ebay and paypal, they are raking in dough on sports card sales. I would be interested to know what percentage of their bottom line comes from the people most impacted by this.

Were I a shareholder, I would be very interested to know why eBay "wants out" of a portion of their market.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bziddy View Post
From a business standpoint, I can't see how this would be the case. Between ebay and paypal, they are raking in dough on sports card sales. I would be interested to know what percentage of their bottom line comes from the people most impacted by this.

Were I a shareholder, I would be very interested to know why eBay "wants out" of a portion of their market.
I sold my stock in ebay two months ago. May be glad I did. But ebay isn't driving the stock, Paypal is. And in most cases, paypal will still be used when these cards ultimately get sold on whatever web site.

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Kevin Garnett
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Seriously, thats just stupid. You see the shipping costs $3.00. You still decide to buy said card. You get your card sent with DC in a bubble mailer, with penny sleeve, top loader, team bag - and you get it nice and fast. But wait - you see that the label says $1.58, so you give the seller a 1? Why the #@#@#@#@ would you do that? Just to be a douche?
If someone is doing any type of consistent ebay selling, more than likely they've got their supplies purchase far in advance(top loader,team bags,for those that use them). Also more than likely you've recouped that minimal cost 10 times over considering a package of top loaders and team bags are on the cheap side. How many times should a seller have to pay for you for topl loader #17 in a package of 25 that you've made a profit on after using top loader #12.

As I stated,it's simple. I pay for something, I expect it to be WHAT I paid for. If it's being a douche, so be it. I don't get taken advantage of by sellers or companies. Someone else wants to and allows it,which is why it gets done still to this day and will continue to happen-
Old 02-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatechhokiefan View Post
I tend to agree with gman here. It seems like many sellers want to use their shipping charges to boost their actual selling price. If I see a $3.00 shipping charge and agree to it, there should be $3.00 worth of shipping service- bubble mailers, toploaders, team bags, DC, etc. Trying to incorporate paper, ink, time etc. into the shipping cost are either sunk costs you already have or just small costs you have to assume as part of selling on eBay. There are actually two separate deals to an eBay sale: the price I pay for the item and the price I pay for the seller to ship the item. Too many are trying to scrimp on the shipping to keep a few cents.
Your wish will come true! Free S&H but guess what? You will not buy those cards at the price you have been used to and thats IF you can find those low end cards on Ebay period. I myself will not sell low end stuff on there. I will continue to sell the higher end stuff with Free S&H but not at low prices. If you dont like the S&H charges JUST MOVE ON and dont buy it. Its the KISS formula.
TSJCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
It's really like anything else in life. If I'm being charged for anything, if I am not getting what I am paying for, then in one way or another it'll be dealt with. Be it taking my business elsewhere, cancelling an account, etc...
As a seller and buyer on Ebay I understand both sides of the story. I charge 2.69 per, but I also ship with quality in mind. Gman can confirm this..I hope. As for buying, often times cards are listed that are limited and I want that card, regardless of S&H fees. Knowing what the fees are beforehand doesn't stop me from buying; I won't ding the seller unless the quality of shipment is lacking. I cannot stand cards that are received in beat up snap cases instead of a toploader, pisses me off. If S&H includes cost and supplies, give me a toploader damnit. Oh, and jersey cards/patch cards shipped between two smaller toploaders, this is not acceptable either.
SacGWYNN19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #31 (permalink)

It's like the post a few weeks back where the OP tried to justify his shipping charges because he has to drive to the post office and wait in line

Why in the world should any buyer be on the hook for you waiting in line at a post office? Someone should pay extra because you were in line for 37 minutes and had to drive a half mile?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacGWYNN19 View Post
As a seller and buyer on Ebay I understand both sides of the story. I charge 2.69 per, but I also ship with quality in mind. Gman can confirm this..I hope. As for buying, often times cards are listed that are limited and I want that card, regardless of S&H fees. Knowing what the fees are beforehand doesn't stop me from buying; I won't ding the seller unless the quality of shipment is lacking. I cannot stand cards that are received in beat up snap cases instead of a toploader, pisses me off. If S&H includes cost and supplies, give me a toploader damnit. Oh, and jersey cards/patch cards shipped between two smaller toploaders, this is not acceptable either.

1000% perfect shipping. Every ounce of what I paid for was justified. Even went above and beyond
Old 02-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Quote:
As I stated,it's simple. I pay for something, I expect it to be WHAT I paid for. If it's being a douche, so be it. I don't get taken advantage of by sellers or companies. Someone else wants to and allows it,which is why it gets done still to this day and will continue to happen-
You must give out a lot of 1's then. I see almost NO seller selling at 1.58, not counting those who do free shipping. I personally don't mind paying an extra 1.42 considering the fact that I know that the seller doesn't really get the full amount of what I am paying to begin with after Ebay and Paypal fees.

Now, if I see $3 shipping and buy a card, I will usually mark it a 3 or 4 depending on speed, but a 1 seems drastic to me - unless the card doesnt have everything I added in my first post.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
If someone is doing any type of consistent ebay selling, more than likely they've got their supplies purchase far in advance(top loader,team bags,for those that use them). Also more than likely you've recouped that minimal cost 10 times over considering a package of top loaders and team bags are on the cheap side. How many times should a seller have to pay for you for topl loader #17 in a package of 25 that you've made a profit on after using top loader #12.

Do you have more than one ebay id? I think you do! One to buy with and one to sell with. Your ID on here shows no sales history.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
You must give out a lot of 1's then. I see almost NO seller selling at 1.58, not counting those who do free shipping. I personally don't mind paying an extra 1.42 considering the fact that I know that the seller doesn't really get the full amount of what I am paying to begin with after Ebay and Paypal fees.

Now, if I see $3 shipping and buy a card, I will usually mark it a 3 or 4 depending on speed, but a 1 seems drastic to me - unless the card doesnt have everything I added in my first post.
Nowhere did I say I give a 1, I said they'll get dinged. Anything under a 5 to me is getting dinged, as that's what ebay looks for more than anything

Charge me $2.75 but use nothing more than 2 stamps from a book of stamps in no way on earth deserves a perfect shipping rating
Old 02-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #36 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
It's like the post a few weeks back where the OP tried to justify his shipping charges because he has to drive to the post office and wait in line

Why in the world should any buyer be on the hook for you waiting in line at a post office? Someone should pay extra because you were in line for 37 minutes and had to drive a half mile?
JUST DONT BUY THE CARD IF THE S&H is to damn high for you. My god how hard is that?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you have more than one ebay id? I think you do! One to buy with and one to sell with. Your ID on here shows no sales history.
You are correct. One gets used about 10000x more than the one linked on here.
My DSR's:
Old 02-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #38 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Quote:
Nowhere did I say I give a 1, I said they'll get dinged. Anything under a 5 to me is getting dinged, as that's what ebay looks for more than anything

Charge me $2.75 but use nothing more than 2 stamps from a book of stamps in no way on earth deserves a perfect shipping rating
Oops, my bad - I misread - I thought it was you talking about the 1 DSR ratings. And agreed 110% - you send me something with stamps on it, and I am nailing you.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Your wish will come true! Free S&H but guess what? You will not buy those cards at the price you have been used to and thats IF you can find those low end cards on Ebay period. I myself will not sell low end stuff on there. I will continue to sell the higher end stuff with Free S&H but not at low prices. If you dont like the S&H charges JUST MOVE ON and dont buy it. Its the KISS formula.
Not sure what all of this means as I don't want Free S&H. I expect to pay a fair price for the shipping part of the deal and to receive that amount of service for what I paid.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
JUST DONT BUY THE CARD IF THE S&H is to damn high for you. My god how hard is that?
Or how about justifying your charge. My god, how hard is that?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #41 (permalink)

And for the record; if a sellers is receiving 1's....it is for a reason. Either change the way you are shipping, or how much you are charging. Pretty simple solution actually.
SacGWYNN19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #42 (permalink)

I wonder who the Ebay genius was who came up with the concept of DSR's for shipping to force a lower shipping cost and a higher selling price so Ebay could gain the commission on a higher selling price.

Couple this strategy with cowards who can't read or feel holier than thou on shipping costs (just factor in the shipping cost to figure your total costs!) and you have a nightmare on your hands.

Quote:
And for the record; if a sellers is receiving 1's....it is for a reason. Either change the way you are shipping, or how much you are charging. Pretty simple solution actually.
<--- It is not this simple. Some people are unadulterated Cowards!
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
I wonder who the Ebay genius was who came up with the concept of DSR's for shipping to force a lower shipping cost and a higher selling price so Ebay could gain the commission on a higher selling price.

Couple this strategy with cowards who can't read or feel holier than thou on shipping costs (just factor in the shipping cost to figure your total costs!) and you have a nightmare on your hands.
Had to be Meg Whitman and her illegal housekeepers up late one night
Old 02-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #44 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Or how about justifying your charge. My god, how hard is that?
$2 S&H (Padded Env, Top loader, penny sleeve, and POSTAGE) and i have recieved 8 (1's). And my feedback is 100% with over 6000 Positive feedbacks. A few bad BUYERS and boom all those years of hard work are over. Be very careful what your asking for! I think as a Buyer you wil find a way to DING other things even if S&H is free. You are the type of BUYER we all fear. I just suggest ANYONE reading this post put this buyer on YOUR block list and do it fast before he buys anything
Old 02-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
The pure simple logic of this statement makes my head hurt! Why oh why can't we find a more complicated means of determinng if shipping is low enough to keep us happy?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #46 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Before you jump in you might want to read the TOP of the page. I charge $2 S&H and (padded envelope, Top loader, Penny sleeve, and POSTAGE) if you think i am making money on S&H you dont have a CLUE! How do i have 100% positve feedback and get 1's. If the buyer was not happy then why leave me POSITIVE feedback.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #47 (permalink)

Very troubling.

In the end eBay wants shipping & handling costs factored in to the final price the item sells at. eBay makes no money off of what we charge for shipping and handling. So, if we sell something for $1, they make their percentage off of the $1, not the $3 charged for shipping.

Ideally, eBay wants us to price the item for $4 with free shipping, that way the percentage is off of the $4, in turn eBay makes more money off of the final value fee.

I just read some stories about Sellers who have over 10,000 Positive Feedback with no negatives and no neutrals yet they have 21 or so low DSR on Shipping & Handling. How does eBay suspend a seller permanently that has 10,000 POSITIVE feedback with NO negs or neutrals? That's 9,979+ people that were happy with their items, service, shipping, etc & 21 people who weren't. Show me another business doing those kind of numbers with that kind of success rate?

I had a customer who's item was lost in the mail for 3 weeks until it finally arrived. When he got the item, he left me Positive Feedback & gave me all 1's on all of my DSR. Why is somebody allowed to leave you ALL 1's on DSR YET still leave you Positive Feedback? If somebody leaves you more than one low score on DSR, they shouldn't be allowed to leave you a Positive rating.

After every item I sell ships, I send the Buyer a message with all of the tracking information in it & I used to also say please be sure to leave me Positive Feedback & ALL 5 Stars on the DSR & explain how important it was to do so. I no longer ask anybody to leave me any feedback, because it seems now a days, no feedback is better than the chance of somebody leaving you a low score. I have 900+ Positive feedback so I'd rather somebody leave me no feedback than remind somebody how important it is for feedback to be left.

Sorry for the long read, eBay is a large part of my business, if I were to get suspended I don't know what I would do.

GET CASH FOR MORE CARDS! HUNDREDS OF SATISFIED SELLERS - ALWAYS IMMEDIATE PAYMENT!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
That's a pretty idiotic statement. Buyers leave ratings based on perception. And 99 % of the folks out there are STUPID. I have been in retail long enough to know that you can do 100% correct as the seller, go above and beyond and some stupid retard will still not be happy.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #49 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
You are correct. One gets used about 10000x more than the one linked on here.
My DSR's:
SO your hiding that Ebay id for a reason. Why dont you prove it and post the ID. I would sure like to see what your charging for S&H. Be a man and show your id.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
SO your hiding that Ebay id for a reason. Why dont you prove it and post the ID. I would sure like to see what your charging for S&H. Be a man and show your id.
meta-lika

Every customer a satisfied customer for almost 6 years