Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #176 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSJCT View Post
Just say you never got the card! He has no way of proving it and you get it for free! That will teach him to start using a DC if charging that much.

Nice advice to have someone steal something
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #177 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Nice advice to have someone steal something
Nope the seller is STEALING by charging that much and not offering the service the Guy paid for. I myself would just leave the guy a NEGATIVE feedback and hit him with 1's across the board. The more sellers like this we can rid of off ebay the better we all will be.
TSJCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #178 (permalink)

Location: Originally from Indiana, currently live in New York

Hell the smallest bubble mailers around my home cost $1.19 a pop, even at target... I always end up loosing money when I send cards.. Part of it I guess...
stang66dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #179 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang66dad View Post
Hell the smallest bubble mailers around my home cost $1.19 a pop, even at target... I always end up loosing money when I send cards.. Part of it I guess...
I buy in boxes of 100 on ebay and get them for about 16 cents apiece...
Old 02-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #180 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang66dad View Post
That's because no one should be buying them 1 at a time. You can get them in bulk, at about a million places, for 15 to 20 cents each.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #181 (permalink)

Esupply.com

500 x 4x8" kraft bubble mailers = $42 + $14 shipping = $56/500 envelopes =.112 each.
My-Coolectibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #182 (permalink)

I never ding for shipping. I'm not going to make a fuss over pennies. I see no difference in buying a card for $2 + $3 for shipping, when the postage is only half. Or paying $3.5 for the card and actual postage of $1.5. Same price either way I have to pay
Old 02-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #183 (permalink)

Default Skipped to the end...

I don't like what ebay is doing to sellers in general but the easiest way to avoid shipping problems is... offer free shipping.
Whatever I list I guesstimate the cost of selling it and integrate it into my minimum bid or BIN. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose but it's a lot easier overall.
Never had a buyer nit pick how anything has been shipped. Most people understand the process and materials necessary.

IMHO,
VinnyH
Guitars, fishing, and trading cards, safer than a lot of other habits. If I post a pic of a player, I took it. I may not be the oldest member here but I paid $8. an auto and shook Joe DiMaggio's hand at the Armenian Church in NYC once.
VinnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #184 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
It's really like anything else in life. If I'm being charged for anything, if I am not getting what I am paying for, then in one way or another it'll be dealt with. Be it taking my business elsewhere, cancelling an account, etc...
Why do you have such a problem with people trying to make a little money with the shipping if you agreed to pay for it and received the item in the exact condition and time frame you expected? The ebay fees for the casual seller are ridiculous. Are you familiar with Amazon at all? Haven't you ever seen all those sellers that sell a ton of books for $.01 each and wonder how they can do that? They make their money from the shipping costs because Amazon does not put a fee on that. It is the same thing on ebay. Why would you rather have ebay make the money rather than the person providing you with your product?
dizzydolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 AM   #185 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzydolse View Post
Why do you have such a problem with people trying to make a little money with the shipping if you agreed to pay for it and received the item in the exact condition and time frame you expected? The ebay fees for the casual seller are ridiculous. Are you familiar with Amazon at all? Haven't you ever seen all those sellers that sell a ton of books for $.01 each and wonder how they can do that? They make their money from the shipping costs because Amazon does not put a fee on that. It is the same thing on ebay. Why would you rather have ebay make the money rather than the person providing you with your product?
Simple, per ebay rules you are NOT ALLOWED to make a nickel off of shipping. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

As for that last question, ebay. Why? I'm all for big business doing what they need to do to provide the platform for all us to do what we do on there.

Not my job or problem to help a seller make an extra buck or 2 because he provided me with a product. Seller got paid for the item and should provide me what I paid for.

It really shouldn't be that difficult. Charge me $3.50 for shipping,justify it.If not,be prepared to suffer the consequences.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #186 (permalink)

Quote:
Simple, per ebay rules you are NOT ALLOWED to make a nickel off of shipping. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

As for that last question, ebay. Why? I'm all for big business doing what they need to do to provide the platform for all us to do what we do on there.

Not my job or problem to help a seller make an extra buck or 2 because he provided me with a product. Seller got paid for the item and should provide me what I paid for.

It really shouldn't be that difficult. Charge me $3.50 for shipping,justify it.If not,be prepared to suffer the consequences.
So what if a seller charges $2.00 or $2.25 for all their items they have listed and you receive the item and notice that the shipping cost the seller $1.72 to ship. What kind of DSR do they receive from you? At what point does a seller get dinged by you, because they clearly made more than a nickel on shipping. How can ebay justify a rule like that and not make it mandatory for all sellers to have a shipping calculator in their auctions and a scale at their house for exact weight? You say it doesn't get any simpler than that but the scenario I just gave happens on probably 90% of the auctions on ebay.
dizzydolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #187 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzydolse View Post
So what if a seller charges $2.00 or $2.25 for all their items they have listed and you receive the item and notice that the shipping cost the seller $1.72 to ship. What kind of DSR do they receive from you? At what point does a seller get dinged by you, because they clearly made more than a nickel on shipping. How can ebay justify a rule like that and not make it mandatory for all sellers to have a shipping calculator in their auctions and a scale at their house for exact weight?
I have zero problem with that. .28 or .53 cents is nothing.The seller is within reason of what he charged to what his shipping cost was

2 recent examples where I hit a sellers shipping DSR:

I paid $2.50 for shipping on an item that came in a bubble mailer with 2 stamps on it.

I paid $3.50 shipping for a package that weighed one oz. Card was in a top loader with a piece of scotch tape across it and dropped in a bubble mailer.

You tell me how either of those sellers came close to justifying their charge for shipping.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 AM   #188 (permalink)

Quote:
I have zero problem with that. .28 or .53 cents is nothing.The seller is within reason of what he charged to what his shipping cost was

2 recent examples where I hit a sellers shipping DSR:

I paid $2.50 for shipping on an item that came in a bubble mailer with 2 stamps on it.

I paid $3.50 shipping for a package that weighed one oz. Card was in a top loader with a piece of scotch tape across it and dropped in a bubble mailer.

You tell me how either of those sellers came close to justifying their charge for shipping.
You bid on the items knowing the shipping charge, they were shipped in bubble mailers and arrived safely.

Granted, $3.50 is excessive. So if you don't like the charge, don't bid knowing you are just waiting to hit the rating.

It sounds like the buyers I will immediately add to my blocked bidders list, you know, the ones that cannot be pleased no matter what you do.

I happen to go overboard to ensure my packages are safe and secure, but it just sounds like you love hitting those DSR's.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:35 AM   #189 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino5084 View Post
You bid on the items knowing the shipping charge, they were shipped in bubble mailers and arrived safely.

Granted, $3.50 is excessive. So if you don't like the charge, don't bid knowing you are just waiting to hit the rating.

It sounds like the buyers I will immediately add to my blocked bidders list, you know, the ones that cannot be pleased no matter what you do.

I happen to go overboard to ensure my packages are safe and secure, but it just sounds like you love hitting those DSR's.
Correct,I bid on the item knowing I was paying $3.50 for shipping and $2.50 for shipping. When neither item comes close to what was charged,there's no reason I should be happy.

People wanna get bent over and taken advantage of,more power to them. Not me. I buy something,it's my right to fully expect justification of a charge.

My actual shipping charges and what the shipping costs me are usually withing .10-.20 an item. I charge you $2.50 shipping, you're pretty much getting every cent of that in shipping. My buyers expect the $2.50 to be $2.50 or remotely close,not $1.12.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #190 (permalink)

Another local avenue for mailers is Sams Club. They have them in boxes of 25 for $4.95. Not bad for a quick local option. They are 50 cents each at Wal Mart.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:47 AM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
Another local avenue for mailers is Sams Club. They have them in boxes of 25 for $4.95. Not bad for a quick local option. They are 50 cents each at Wal Mart.
Thanks for the info. My parents shop there all the time. My Pops likes it when I send him on missions like this. Hes really stubborn, he will not quit until he finds them.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:00 AM   #192 (permalink)

But on the Ebay situation, I understand both parties sides on this. Coby is saying that you have the right to not buy from a seller if you feel his shipping is too pricey. I agree with that. Gman is saying he wants his moneys worth, I agree with this as well. If someone is charging me 3 dollars for shipping and it shows up costing them 1.12, then where is the other 1.88? Sounds like something Pennstforlife would pull. Look at it this way, if you walked into a deli and bought a turkey sandwich for 5 dollars and when they bring you your sandwich you realize it is only half a sandwich, you would say something right? Why, because you are not getting what you paid for.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #193 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post
But on the Ebay situation, I understand both parties sides on this. Coby is saying that you have the right to not buy from a seller if you feel his shipping is too pricey. I agree with that. Gman is saying he wants his moneys worth, I agree with this as well. If someone is charging me 3 dollars for shipping and it shows up costing them 1.12, then where is the other 1.88? Sounds like something Pennstforlife would pull. Look at it this way, if you walked into a deli and bought a turkey sandwich for 5 dollars and when they bring you your sandwich you realize it is only half a sandwich, you would say something right? Why, because you are not getting what you paid for.
your not taking into account the price of a sheet of paper, ink, or the cost of a bubble mailer.
patchgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #194 (permalink)
Inactive Account

UPDATE!! From what i am hearing through the rumor mill is there will be NO SHIPPING charge coming around May or June. All sellers will be forced to offer FREE SHIPPING or you wont be selling on ebay. If you dont believe it thats fine just what i am hearing. Please save this message and in 3-4 months come back and look at what i am saying now and your going to say DAMN he was right. Ebay is TIRED of the Guys selling a card for $1 and charging $4 for shipping to AVOID costs and I DONT BLAME EBAY. These type of sellers have ruined it for the honest sellers not over charging for S&H. So for those of you still charging for S&H get ready to change or find another place to sell. FREE SHIPPING is coming for everyone. I have allready started offering it and my Sales are UP!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #195 (permalink)

Quote:
UPDATE!! From what i am hearing through the rumor mill is there will be NO SHIPPING charge coming around May or June. All sellers will be forced to offer FREE SHIPPING or you wont be selling on ebay. If you dont believe it thats fine just what i am hearing. Please save this message and in 3-4 months come back and look at what i am saying now and your going to say DAMN he was right. Ebay is TIRED of the Guys selling a card for $1 and charging $4 for shipping to AVOID costs and I DONT BLAME EBAY. These type of sellers have ruined it for the honest sellers not over charging for S&H. So for those of you still charging for S&H get ready to change or find another place to sell. FREE SHIPPING is coming for everyone. I have allready started offering it and my Sales are UP!
Yes nothing is wrong with this, people will just have to adjust to a higher starting price.
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #196 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchgenie View Post
your not taking into account the price of a sheet of paper, ink, or the cost of a bubble mailer.
Sheet of paper, 7 cents(based off an 80 count pack for $5.00)
Bubble mailer , 20 cents(based of a 25 count pack for $4.95)
Ink,4 cents(based off a $70 ink cartridge and u get 2000 printjobs)

31 cents for your ink,paper and mailer
Old 02-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #197 (permalink)

Quote:
see I thought fleecebay was moving to more of what amazon and half.com (another ebay baby) do, which is to put set shipping charges and then you have to adjust your price or just cut into your profits to make up the difference.
I sold a ps2 system with a whole lot of bells and whistles on amazon a few years back and it cost me $25 to ship the stupid thing, but amazon only gave me a shipping credit of like $5. I b*tched to them and they said they would have to review some of their costs.
free shipping does work in their favor. are you only talking about cards or will the whole site be made to use free shipping? I would rather offer free shipping, have the fees cut and get some sort of shipping kickback on the back end instead of just losing more money to them (if I were to actually use them again)
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #198 (permalink)

The free shipping move, if it ihappens, has nothing to do with Ebay and everyting to do with Paypal.

Ebay expects to have more revenue from paypal than Ebay by 2013 or so.
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #199 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
The free shipping move, if it ihappens, has nothing to do with Ebay and everyting to do with Paypal.

Ebay expects to have more revenue from paypal than Ebay by 2013 or so.
I would say EBAY would be happy to get fees off $3 rather than $1. Thats just business smarts. 12% of $3 is more than 12% of $1 i dont care what side of the business your on.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #200 (permalink)

Quote:
I would say EBAY would be happy to get fees off $3 rather than $1. Thats just business smarts. 12% of $3 is more than 12% of $1 i dont care what side of the business your on.
So, instead of raising the fees - they just get rid of shipping and handling charges and make more money that way.

You know what's awesome. I sell bulky items. It cost around $10-14 to ship any item I sell. So they are going to pocket some nice money off my shipping. Motherf*ckers.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote