Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #201 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
Sheet of paper, 7 cents(based off an 80 count pack for $5.00)
Bubble mailer , 20 cents(based of a 25 count pack for $4.95)
Ink,4 cents(based off a $70 ink cartridge and u get 2000 printjobs)

31 cents for your ink,paper and mailer
what if he bought them at walmart. 80 cents a piece
patchgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #202 (permalink)

Quote:
I have zero problem with that. .28 or .53 cents is nothing.The seller is within reason of what he charged to what his shipping cost was

2 recent examples where I hit a sellers shipping DSR:

I paid $2.50 for shipping on an item that came in a bubble mailer with 2 stamps on it.

I paid $3.50 shipping for a package that weighed one oz. Card was in a top loader with a piece of scotch tape across it and dropped in a bubble mailer.

You tell me how either of those sellers came close to justifying their charge for shipping.
Alright, these are not my words hence the quotes, they are responses from two members over at FCB regarding this same issue. They state very well exactly how I feel about your take on this situation and arrogant buyers like yourself in general:

"But if you read the auction and knew you were going to pay $4.99 shipping and handling then why? You don't know how the seller arrives at those charges.

Personally I spend quite a bit of time packaging each of my items, large scale operations like 4sc probably has staff that assists in packing and have to pay them a salary. Time is not free, nor are the bubble mailers, nor are the hard plastics, nor are the penny sleeves, nor is the ink to print the label, nor is the paper to print the label, nor is the tape to package the item, I cut up cardboard boxes for additional protection and those aren't free either.

In regards to my time packaging said item, gas to take it to the post office, etc. It's not free, I really don't understand why the buyers feel they have right to question shipping pricing, when stated in the auction. I even go as far to state in my auction how that they will be shipped in bubble mailers. And although I allow for 3 days handling time before I ship, I generally stay up late (even though I have a 2 year old and a 1 year old at home) in order to get peoples packages out next day after payment.

I mean the title is shipping and HANDLING Charges
from dictionary.com "3. a. the process by which a commodity is packaged, transported, etc b. ( as modifier ): handling charges"

Yet despite all that I have been dinged on shipping charges (not low DSR, but still not a 5).

Buyers are apparently so ignorant sometimes they think that shipping & HANDLING charges are the same thing as shipping charges and ding your auction accordingly."

"Also, do you pay exact shipping when you purchase from Best Buy, Home shopping network, macys, etc? Of course you don't! You pay for shipping at 99.9% of businesses. You might get free shipping if the item is over $50 or $100. I would gladly offer free shipping on any item over $50, but Ebay does NOT ALLOW YOU to put stipulations on your auctions such as this.

Get a clue"

These are my words. Figuring profit into an item from S&H charges is a common business practice for online businesses. You are an experienced buyer and seller of sportscards and you should know what it costs to ship the one card you are buying/bidding on, and know that it probably won't cost $2.50 or $3.50 to ship the card. You also don't know where the person gets their supplies, how much time they spend packaging, how far away they live from the PO, etc. If you don't agree with the shipping cost, DON'T BUY THE ITEM. You are the type of person that buys knowing you will ding the seller because you are arrogant and spiteful.

Last edited by dizzydolse; 02-12-2011 at 12:56 AM.
dizzydolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #203 (permalink)

Jumping in late here, but I've been reading some of this crap since the OP. It's not just a shipping charge, it's a shipping and handling charge. I agree with what dizzy's quotes say. You aren't just paying for the cost of shipping, you are paying for the cost of shipping + the time and supplies to ship it. It's called opportunity cost. What is my time worth? Any basic economics class will teach you this. When I'm packaging a card, I take the time to do it right. This takes away from time I can be listing other cards and generating more revenue/recovering my expenses.

Point being, if it's stated in the auction and you know the price going in AND they don't take a steaming dump on your card before they send it, you have no room to complain. If you go to a LCS and they are charging double the BO price for their boxes, do you complain to the BBB? I would just opt not to shop there.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #204 (permalink)

Quote:
Somone charges me $3.00 for shipping, and I see the paypal label shows a weight of 1oz, you're getting dinged.
If you're charging x for shipping, you better be shipping for or close to that same x
Does no one understand the "Handling" part of S&H? My gas is free? My time waiting in line at the Post Office is worthless? I'll charge $3.00 all day to ship 1 card. 1oz or not. Everything goes out with DC (like paypal wants) and before you even figure in what I paid for the top loader & bubble mailer, USPS charges me like $2.65 to ship that card. Why would you ding someone for 3 bucks? By most accounts that 3 bucks is not even a break even point. If you paid your postage online and get the cheaper DC you still have to package and keep records of when you shipped and the tracking numbers. And certainly worth the 50 cents they are making on you.

Last edited by Grid; 02-12-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:08 AM   #205 (permalink)

Just wondering where some of you guys draw the line on what you feel you can charge for and call "handling"? Seriously, paper, ink, or time standing in line? Some of these items you already purchase regardless of whether you sell cards online and other aspects (such as going to the Post Office) are just part of choosing to do so.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #206 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatechhokiefan View Post
Seriously, paper, ink, or time standing in line? Some of these items you already purchase regardless of whether you sell cards online and other aspects (such as going to the Post Office) are just part of choosing to do so.
I really do hate this arguement. I totally understand what you are getting at, people have paper, tape and whatnot around the house but using it up to get an item out to a complete stranger means you have to go out and replinish your supplies of said items alot more often.
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #207 (permalink)

Quote:
Just wondering where some of you guys draw the line on what you feel you can charge for and call "handling"? Seriously, paper, ink, or time standing in line? Some of these items you already purchase regardless of whether you sell cards online and other aspects (such as going to the Post Office) are just part of choosing to do so.
I agree with you. I've already purchased toploaders with the intent to resell cards, that's one expense. Ink, paper, those are also expenses. The fact that my printer/scanner will need to be replaced due to heavy usage, that's also an expense. I also have to go to the post office to ship stuff out. I also specifically state how much my shipping is when people purchase from me. I don't understand why it's not acceptable to state everything up front, for people to supposedly read all details, and then get upset when the sticker on the package doesn't read exactly what was paid.

Why do people not complain that any LCS [normally] charges more for boxes? Because you understand the costs of operation. The rent, the electricity bills, the CONVENIENCE of being able to go down the street and pick up a box, all of that stuff isn't free. If you want to be able to buy the cards you want for your collection from the comfort of your own home without scouring every card show on the planet looking for a RC from 1992, I should be able to set my S&H charges to what I want (within reason), tell you up front, and if you purchase my item, have you agree to the terms that were set in the auction without complaint.

Again, I know there are special cases where people are shipping in PWE, or not packaging correctly, etc... I'm not defending those guys.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #208 (permalink)

Quote:
I tend not to agree with you as I seldom ever go to the post office. When I was selling all the time years ago, I was at the post office everyday almost. It takes away from your family time, personal time, etc... Ive always said that a person can charge what you want and you as a customer can purchase or not purchase it, you have a choice. If you dont think its fair, than you shouldnt buy it. Because you have buyers remorse on the charges, you will ding the person, even though you knew before hand what the charges were.

People say they want what they pay for and base it on what they see on the package in terms of s/h charges. So if you buy something online that had a price tag for 19.99 but today its worth twenty times that amount, are you going to ding them because the package says 19.99 and you truly think you were overcharged but still were willing to pay 400 dollars for it. Ponder that.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #209 (permalink)

Seriously, as a seller, it is their choice whether they want to estimate up on shipping costs so they gain a little rather than estimate down and lose money. It is the choice of the buyer to purchase that item or not. You are negatively affecting the livelihood of sellers by dinging their feedback after you agreed to pay a certain amount for what they are selling, and even when you receive the item in the exact condition you wanted and within the time frame you wanted. If you aren't smart enough to figure shipping costs into the total cost of the item, then you aren't responsible enough to use the internet.
dizzydolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #210 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoesportscard View Post
I tend not to agree with you as I seldom ever go to the post office. When I was selling all the time years ago, I was at the post office everyday almost. It takes away from your family time, personal time, etc... Ive always said that a person can charge what you want and you as a customer can purchase or not purchase it, you have a choice. If you dont think its fair, than you shouldnt buy it. Because you have buyers remorse on the charges, you will ding the person, even though you knew before hand what the charges were.

People say they want what they pay for and base it on what they see on the package in terms of s/h charges. So if you buy something online that had a price tag for 19.99 but today its worth twenty times that amount, are you going to ding them because the package says 19.99 and you truly think you were overcharged but still were willing to pay 400 dollars for it. Ponder that.
You are correct about having a choice whether to purchase an item or not. If I see someone charging over $3 for a single card I move on to the next listing. I find it interesting how some people try to justify their shipping and handling charges by including paper and ink, which are definitely expenses if you sell a large amount, but are probably only a penny per transaction. Also, going to the Post Office can easily be negated by using Paypal Shipping and simply dropping the item in the box at the PO. Incorporate that trip into your daily travel routine if possible. I understand this might be different for people as not everyone lives in the same environment- such as a metro vs. rural area.

Bottom line is that yes the consumer has a choice as to whether to pay the shipping charge or not, but there are way too many sellers who overestimate their "expenses" and are profiting from inflated shipping and handling.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #211 (permalink)

Wasn't there a common theme a while back where people were charging like 1 cent for the auction and hundreds of dollars for the s/h? Whatever came of that... Did those sellers get dinged and suspended now?

Something like that if that happens, seems like that would be considered retaliation by Ebay to rid themselves of people like that who found a way to take money away from ebays fee structure.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #212 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Screamer

Well put, Dizzy... Well put
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote