Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Packaging Rents...

This has been bugging me for years....

Why do people still put tape / scotch tape / masking tape directly on the top open end of a top loaders?

WHY???

Most of the time I have to use a knife to bust the loader open and increase my chance of damaging the cards.

It is seriously annoying.

Want a cheap trick to avoid this when packaging? POST-IT notes.

Just take one, fold it over the open end and tape the Post to the side of the loader.

Simple, easy, better for the cards and if you do it well, the buyer can reuse the loader who won't be damaged by the glue of the tape.

Glad I got it out
Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I put tape over the top loader because it is the safest way to ship a card. If you do it as you state or just put it in a team bag the card still has a chance of moving.

I will take complaints about tape residue over a damaged card any day.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

I use blue painters tape which doesn't leave any sticky mess.

All the loaders I get with tape on them are in the trash and card is moved to a new one.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino5084 View Post
I put tape over the top loader because it is the safest way to ship a card. If you do it as you state or just put it in a team bag the card still has a chance of moving.

The Post it does the same thing as tape without the glue that can contact with the cards.

It's not moving, your closing shut the loader and you tighten the top with the side tape.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Masking/Painters tape FTW...It's sad to see so many top-loaders get gummed up by Scotch tape . Also...put a damned loop at the end for easier removal!

Lots of [???], [Missing] and #N/A at ROCK BOTTOM PRICES!
Chaddie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake03svtf View Post
I use blue painters tape which doesn't leave any sticky mess.

All the loaders I get with tape on them are in the trash and card is moved to a new one.

Thats exactly what I do. Only thing I do beyond this, which is very helpful is...First, tear a piece of tape a little bigger then you need. Then fold it over a bit, then apply it over the top loader. Then when the person gets their card, all they do is grab the flap and boom, tape comes off very easily. I used scotch tape this time, but you get the point.

FreshBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post
Masking/Painters tape FTW...It's sad to see so many top-loaders get gummed up by Scotch tape . Also...put a damned loop at the end for easier removal!
Exactly...
FreshBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

I wouldn't trust the adhesive on the back of a post-it note enough to use them. If a buyer complains about the toploader being "ruined" by the tape residue, but they're happy with the card, then I couldn't care less. Just use the toploader for another card that you send out to someone....recycle it instead of trashing it. If a person can't cut the tape without damaging the card, they probably shouldn't operate heavy machinery.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephinfan View Post
I wouldn't trust the adhesive on the back of a post-it note enough to use them. If a buyer complains about the toploader being "ruined" by the tape residue, but they're happy with the card, then I couldn't care less. Just use the toploader for another card that you send out to someone....recycle it instead of trashing it. If a person can't cut the tape without damaging the card, they probably shouldn't operate heavy machinery.
I agree. Post-its have only so much "stick" and using them to keep a toploader shut doesn't seem like it would work. Yeah, some tape can slightly damage the appearance of the toploader, but if that's your concern I'd be scared. It's not that difficult to pierce the tape as long as you're careful the card is not in danger.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

It's not the point of it being difficult, it's just the point of increasing damaging issues.

As for the post it glue, that's why I tape it to the side of the toploader. You can use a piece of folder paper as well, same effect, the post it just have a conveniant size that's all.

And if the card moves up in the toploader, I'd rather it being moved into a piece of paper than into the sticky part of tape. Don't you think?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

i always do this..i hate to get a toploader in the mail with the card half hanging out and damaged because it wasnt taped...i usually just save mine that i get that are taped and recycle them on later trades...and i try to "dog ear" my tape so it's easier for the person getting the card to get in it.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBreak View Post
Thats exactly what I do. Only thing I do beyond this, which is very helpful is...First, tear a piece of tape a little bigger then you need. Then fold it over a bit, then apply it over the top loader. Then when the person gets their card, all they do is grab the flap and boom, tape comes off very easily.
Was going to post exactly this. Learned this method from someone when I first got here, lord knows who it was....
Old 02-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

if you get a gummed up top loader use lighter fluid to rub it out...usually works very well
dmogull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

sorry care all your hits i sent you were taped that way
Macken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Tape on toploaders doesn't bother me at all. I'm buying the card inside, not the supplies, and tape ensures the card won't fall out during transit.

With that said, I use team bags, not tape when trading/selling.
MasterOfTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

You are buying the card...not the supplies.

And if you can't peel masking tape off of a top loader then you need to do some finger exercises Nancy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care4Card View Post
This has been bugging me for years....

Why do people still put tape / scotch tape / masking tape directly on the top open end of a top loaders?

WHY???

Most of the time I have to use a knife to bust the loader open and increase my chance of damaging the cards.

It is seriously annoying.

Want a cheap trick to avoid this when packaging? POST-IT notes.

Just take one, fold it over the open end and tape the Post to the side of the loader.

Simple, easy, better for the cards and if you do it well, the buyer can reuse the loader who won't be damaged by the glue of the tape.

Glad I got it out
Old 02-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

Spend the extra 2 cents and put the top loader in a Team Bag!!! Over the years I have had multiple cards ruined because they stuck to the tape. The Post-It Note is also a good idea, but the risk of tape ruining the card is a real possibility.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macken View Post
sorry care all your hits i sent you were taped that way
Hey don't worry about it, I was just renting a bit, I'm used to this method.

Was trying to offer an alternative...
Old 02-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to yazevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Spend the extra 2 cents and put the top loader in a Team Bag!!!
Agreed! I always use team bags and have never had a complaint about damaged cards. I usually add a few bags onto Blowout orders.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

got a Bradshaw prime patch #'d to 15 in today I paid $50 for that was in a top loader that was way to small for the thickness of the card and a regular size penny sleeve that was way to small as well...then taped up like a christmas present at the top...and sent in a regular vinyl mailer....grrrr...luckily the card was not damaged.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #21 (permalink)

Got a holiday jsy auto nothing special but it came in a PWE ina penny sleve TAPED to a piece of cardboard... WTH!!!! To make it worse the tape was put on the penney sleve to the cardboard and the tape is stuck to the cardboard!!!!
YOu have to see this!
Well you cant really see the big crease down the middle lol or all of the damagd corners!!!
What are ppl thinking???

Last edited by thor_rider08; 02-01-2012 at 06:55 AM.
thor_rider08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino5084 View Post

I agree with this statement. I use team bags to keep the customer happy but I make sure I seal the team bag very tightly and then use tape on it, because when you seal them that tightly the adhesive has a tendency to come undone. But there are ways for the card to get damaged pretty much any way you ship it. But using tape or a team bag sealed tight are the two methods that prevent it the best while in transit, and I have to say I think tape does a slightly better job, but both methods are over 99% reliable.

No offense to anyone, but its usually operator error that causes the damage in most cases to taped top loader cards... not in all cases, but most. They either bend the case trying to salvage a $0.05 top loader or worse... they stick a knife in the top loader to break the tape (... seriously?!?! who does this???) The fingernail on my thumb has never met a piece of scotch tape yet that it couldn't cleanly break the seal of on the first or second pass... and my fingernails are no sharper/longer/more precise than anyone else I've ever seen. Opening a taped top loader with a knife is like opening a bag of chips with a machete.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #23 (permalink)

Scotch makes a "Removable Tape" which seems to do the job well.

Looking for Andre Dawson Serial numbered cards that are his jersey number - either #8 or #10. So looking for cards like 8/8 or 08/99 or 10/250.
ddearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor_rider08 View Post
Got a holiday jsy auto nothing special but it came in a PWE ina penny sleve TAPED to a piece of cardboard... WTH!!!! To make it worse the tape was put on the penney sleve to the cardboard and the tape is stuck to the cardboard!!!!
YOu have to see this!
Well you cant really see the big crease down the middle lol or all of the damagd corners!!!
What are ppl thinking???
Holy cr*p, what the hell is that packaging?

Lord have mercy...
Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #25 (permalink)

What a bunch of babies. First of all, Id NEVER SHIP WITHOUT THE END TAPED. Why? Because buyers just likes the ones complaining in this thread cry if they arent taped. Post it notes cannot be trusted on a work document much less a valuable sports card. I use tape and a team bag. And do you really need a loop on the tape? Is it really that hard for people to get a card out? Cmon guys, this is bad. A loop on the tape? Sad.