Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
alexlazarevich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Posts: 3,298
Default card sleeves difference? (BCW vs Ultra-Pro Premium)

I've been buying the 10,000 count BCW card sleeves from blowout: BCW Card Sleeve - 2 5/8 x 3 5/8 - 100 Pack Case - $39.99 : Blowout Cards - Sports Cards and Trading Cards Wholesale Online Store

But I just saw the Ultra-Pro Premiums: Ultra Pro Premium Card Sleeves - 10,000ct Case - $124.99 : Blowout Cards - Sports Cards and Trading Cards Wholesale Online Store

What is the difference? The BCW's are like 32% the cost of the Ultra-Pro premiums. Is there some negative to the BCW's that I'm not aware of? Or some amazing feature of the Ultra-Pro Premium's like it'll turn a sticker auto /99 into an on card auto /10?
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
stumpfreeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,643
Default

Ultro Pro premiums are way thicker (overkill in my opinion). But I do prefer the regular Ultra Pro sleeves, way better quality than BCW IMO.
__________________
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
sd_navarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpfreeman View Post
Ultro Pro premiums are way thicker (overkill in my opinion). But I do prefer the regular Ultra Pro sleeves, way better quality than BCW IMO.
I concur with this statement
__________________
Collecting: John Navarre Auto's
sd_navarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
alexlazarevich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Posts: 3,298
Default

Interesting.

Will a Bowman base card, sleeved into a Ultra-Pro Premium sleeve, fit into a regular top loader?

What about a Bowman Chrome card, sleeved into an Ultra-Pro Premium sleeve, does that fit into a regular top loader, or will I need the slightly thicker 2mm (75pt) top loaders?
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
stumpfreeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazarevich View Post
Interesting.

Will a Bowman base card, sleeved into a Ultra-Pro Premium sleeve, fit into a regular top loader?

What about a Bowman Chrome card, sleeved into an Ultra-Pro Premium sleeve, does that fit into a regular top loader, or will I need the slightly thicker 2mm (75pt) top loaders?
I think the base will fit, but not sure about the chrome.
__________________
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saint Joseph, Missouri
Posts: 378
Default

I think the BCW's also aren't always cut right and some of the sleeves you get end up being pretty much worthless as well... anybody else have that sort of problem
__________________
I collect Iowa Hawkeyes and Kansas City Chiefs Autos and Jerseys!!!
stjoesportscard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
pmannings#1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoesportscard View Post
I think the BCW's also aren't always cut right and some of the sleeves you get end up being pretty much worthless as well... anybody else have that sort of problem
Actually I've had no problems with them but hell that was only outta 300 though so maybe some QC problems found within 10,000 of em. Not everything passes QC inspection especially if the inspector does watch for flaws carefully or reports flaws to the machine operator!!
__________________
Trade/Sell list
http://southernsportscards.webs.com/
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
alexlazarevich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Posts: 3,298
Default

I've gone through 20,000 BCW sleeves, and didn't see any quality control problems at all. Maybe I was just lucky? Or maybe I don't remember throwing away some bad ones, that is possible.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderator
 
iluvfish2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 22,527
Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2
Default

No, no need to increase size on toploaders. They're a much higher quality penny sleeve. I've had some minor quality control issues with the BCW's and never had any issues with Ultra Pro, but given the price differnce I'll gladly take a few miscut sleeves and/or improperply sealed seams for the price difference.
__________________
Blowouts Resident Wade Boggs Super Collector
iluvfish2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
ohiomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,987
Default

Ultra Pro has gotten better over the last 5 years, as THEY used to put out crap sleeves and their top loader packs always had 1-3 unusable top loaders in it. It got so bad that I switched exclusively to Collector Safe products, until they went out of business. Collector Safe put out the best penny sleeves I've ever used, and never had problems with any of their other supplies either. But since being forced to switch again due to supply of Collector Safe products getting depleted, I have to say that Ultra Pro regular sleeves have really been improved, and their top loader packs have way less trash top loaders as they used to.

As far as BCW goes, I've used them too and have had almost no issues with but it does seem people prefer Ultra Pro. I will say that I now like Ultra Pro sleeves better than BCW, but nearly anything else I am indifferent.

But if these Ultra Pro "Premium" sleeves are the ones that are thick and have the little hologram in the corner, I absolutely despise those. I can't believe anyone would pay 2-3 times extra to use them. I wouldn't switch to those even if they were the same price as the regular soft sleeves!

Bottom line is if you're happy with the quality and price of whatever you are currently using, stick to it. There is honestly not too much difference in most of the product lines that Ultra Pro and BCW have.
__________________
Find me at SPORTLOTS.COM - OHIOMIKE
Domestic orders over 50 cards ship ABSOLUTELY FREE with me, copy and paste this URL:

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
alexlazarevich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Champaign, Illinois
Posts: 3,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
Ultra Pro has gotten better over the last 5 years, as THEY used to put out crap sleeves and their top loader packs always had 1-3 unusable top loaders in it. It got so bad that I switched exclusively to Collector Safe products, until they went out of business. Collector Safe put out the best penny sleeves I've ever used, and never had problems with any of their other supplies either. But since being forced to switch again due to supply of Collector Safe products getting depleted, I have to say that Ultra Pro regular sleeves have really been improved, and their top loader packs have way less trash top loaders as they used to.

As far as BCW goes, I've used them too and have had almost no issues with but it does seem people prefer Ultra Pro. I will say that I now like Ultra Pro sleeves better than BCW, but nearly anything else I am indifferent.

But if these Ultra Pro "Premium" sleeves are the ones that are thick and have the little hologram in the corner, I absolutely despise those. I can't believe anyone would pay 2-3 times extra to use them. I wouldn't switch to those even if they were the same price as the regular soft sleeves!

Bottom line is if you're happy with the quality and price of whatever you are currently using, stick to it. There is honestly not too much difference in most of the product lines that Ultra Pro and BCW have.
Those "Premium" sleeves are the ones I was wondering about. Thanks for the tip. I don't want no hologram on the sleeve, and I'm pretty sure most customers don't either.

This forum rocks once again. Thanks dudes.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ooltewah, TN
Posts: 449
Send a message via AIM to JonDailey1982 Send a message via Yahoo to JonDailey1982 Send a message via Skype™ to JonDailey1982
Default

The only thing my customers have commented on regarding BCW vs Ultra Pro is that the BCW sleeves tend to "stick" at the top so to speak and you have to roll them a little to get them to open up at times. The Ultra Pro tend to just be open out of the package naturally. But overall they are most expensive and we don't make as much on them. I personally don't have issues with the BCW and most of my customers don't either - only a few have made comments on them so if I didn't own a shop I'd just get BCW and save myself money...
__________________
Jon Dailey | Former Owner | The Best Little Card Shop
Richmond, KY 40475 | www.thebestlittlecardshop.com
JonDailey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.