Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default eBay DSR rant

Okay, I am now on the "eBay is a pile of smelly dog crap and I don't want another penny of my business to go to those jerks" team. I hope I am welcome.

I'm going to lose my top-rated seller status and 20% discount on 03/20 because I've received 4 low DSR's for shipping and handling in the last 3 months.

I've always charged exact cost for shipping, or free shipping. 2 oz = $1.58, 3 oz = $1.75, etc. On BIN's I've also been doing free shipping.

I contacted eBay, and they are going to let it happen. Same blah blah barf that comes out of their mouths.

What bothers me the most is this: I've had ZERO (0) low DSR's for all of my feedback up until this afternoon, when all of a sudden, FOUR (4) new low DSR's show up in my shipping and handling charges, even though my eBay feedback rating changed by ONE (1) number.

This morning I had a rating of 932 with ZERO low DSR's, and now I have a feedback rating of 933, and FOUR (4) low DSR's. How the h*ll is that possible. eBay would not answer that either. They play dumb, or say please hold, and then come back and change the subject.

I'm so pissed right now. This is really going to hurt too because I've got like 15K of product coming over the next month and I need to be selling it to make some money back. Ugh.

Sigh...

D*mn, and when others would post and b*tch about eBay, I'd think to myself, yeah yeah, well now I understand. Man, this can be frustrating.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

I hear ya. Ebay sucks. You will be more than welcome here. If you happen to have any Robinson Cano or Ivan Nova cards, let me know what you've got. Welcome!
jjhasmadskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

eBay wants you to offer FREE shipping 100% of the time, so they can tax you on the subsequent increased final SV. Sad to say, but pretty much the only sellers with top-notch DSRs offer almost exclusively free shipping. It's a pretty crooked system if you ask me.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

it is total bs, you cant even see who left you the low dsr is if they created it themselves bc i look at my feedback change and then dont see anything with my dsrs change upon this but then it will adjust and change when i dont get any feedback??
BOWMANLORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post
eBay wants you to offer FREE shipping 100% of the time, so they can tax you on the subsequent increased final SV. Sad to say, but pretty much the only sellers with top-notch DSRs offer almost exclusively free shipping. It's a pretty crooked system if you ask me.
I would be willing to do that. However, I'm now stuck losing my 20% because eBay failed to inform me when I was receiving these low DSR's. I went from 0 DSR's this morning to 4 of them right now, and yet my feedback rating only went up by 1. Obviously eBay holds back low DSR's and then piles them on you to F up your 20%.

Ugh. This is going to hurt so bad with all the product I have coming. I'm NOT selling it on eBay. They aren't getting another dime from me. Ugh.

ARHGHGHGHG
Old 02-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazarevich View Post
I would be willing to do that. However, I'm now stuck losing my 20% because eBay failed to inform me when I was receiving these low DSR's. I went from 0 DSR's this morning to 4 of them right now, and yet my feedback rating only went up by 1. Obviously eBay holds back low DSR's and then piles them on you to F up your 20%.

Ugh. This is going to hurt so bad with all the product I have coming. I'm NOT selling it on eBay. They aren't getting another dime from me. Ugh.

ARHGHGHGHG
Option 2: Sell on the trading sites for 0% fees (besides Paypal)
Option 3: Sell on COMC (higher fees, but very little fees if you spend credit on Blowout gift cards ).
Old 02-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post
Option 2: Sell on the trading sites for 0% fees (besides Paypal)
Option 3: Sell on COMC (higher fees, but very little fees if you spend credit on Blowout gift cards ).
Yeah, I know. I'm just so pissed right now. I need to chill out a bit.

I've used those other two options before, and I like them. So I'll probably just stick to those. Or just not sell any of it and keep all the cards myself. I don't know...
Old 02-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Man that's bad.

Wish we could say F-You to Ebay for ever.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Welcome to the club Alazarevich. I lost my Top Rated Seller about a year ago & I'll never get it back no matter how many back flips or a** kissing I do to these Buyers.

My eBay bill every month is over $1,200 & that 20% meant a lot. eBay didn't care.

GET CASH FOR MORE CARDS! HUNDREDS OF SATISFIED SELLERS - ALWAYS IMMEDIATE PAYMENT!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to npbaker1

If you sold multiple items to 1 person that person could ding you on 4 items worth of dsr's while your feedback would only be modified by 1 for the single user.
npbaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care4Card View Post
Wish we could say F-You to Ebay for ever.
We can it's called not using their site. I refuse myself so why not more join me...
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
We can it's called not using their site. I refuse myself so why not more join me...
Yeah but we miss on nice cards and exposure, that's the thing.

COMC is awesome but the traffic is not quite there yet.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've calmed down. Adjusting to 0% discount on eBay FV fees is going to be dehumanizing, but I can do it if I really want to. If Rick can do it, then I can. I only have half the sales he does.

There's not a ton of high end on COMC. I wonder how well 5 Star and NT will move on it? But then what about selling sets from 2011 Bowman. I'm doing 10 cases of that, and as far as I know the only way to really get your sets the exposure is to list them on eBay. Does COMC have any plans to have sets for sale?

MITM, you changed your avatar, that is a downer dude.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazarevich View Post
MITM, you changed your avatar, that is a downer dude.
Me sorry. Had a few people requesting me to change it actually due to them not being able to focus on anything else.
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

I got close to losing my TRS status due to a couple low DSRs for shipping and then magically 2 of the 3 low-ratings went away a couple of weeks later.

I charge $1.99 for a single item and I'm not changing that. I'm not a postage charity and the material I use to ship securely costs money. For high-end items, I'll do free if it's over a certain amount, but I'll be damned if they get me to do that for all items.

I'm blowing out all the cards I have now anyway to avoid the all the new tax BS next year, but losing that 20% would hurt a lot.

Like was said above, there's not really a viable alternative right now for selling at volume quickly.
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

The card companies should talk to eBay...before you cast this aside as a rediculous concept, figure this.

If eBay was not available as a sales medium to case breakers, how many cases go unsold? I know that my small amount of cases per year would go down -- probably to around zero. I'd buy a box here and there. I know that seems like small potatos, but what if every 5th case breaker left eBay and case breaking. What % of sales is Topps/Panini willing to give up because of eBay?

I think I'm losing my top seller status for the same reason....maybe today, or yesterday, haven't looked. The 20% is nice (about $20 this last month).
Old 02-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'll continue to use it but I mostly buy on there, don't sell too much there. I hate that a$$hats do this to perfect sellers like the OP. I won't ever ding anyone, especially over shipping since it's mostly in the listing what the cost is!!!! People do suck though.

Last edited by pmannings#1fan; 02-21-2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: corrected text
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

[QUOTE=monkeymcgee;1099781]
I'm blowing out all the cards I have now anyway to avoid the all the new tax BS next year, but losing that 20% would hurt a lot.

/QUOTE]

Ummm... I am pretty sure that you will be receiving a tax form for what you are selling this year if you are over 200 Transactions and over $20,000 in sales.
Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Stats;1099791]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post

/QUOTE]

Ummm... I am pretty sure that you will be receiving a tax form for what you are selling this year if you are over 200 Transactions and over $20,000 in sales.
I meant more on doing the new 1099s and all that stuff. I'm already reporting my income, so that's not an issue.

I'm not insane enough to bait the IRS on reporting income in a forum
Old 02-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

I lied -- my (4) 2's went down to (1).

I think there is a thing somewhere where one person's DSR ratings can only count once. That is to say if one person dings you 5 times on shipping, it only counts as one.

I'm working on lowering my shipping amount (and going free when I can -- adding shipping into the price of the card).

(FWIW, I had been charging $2.75 + $0.35. I'm going to go to $2.10 + $0.20 to see if that makes a difference).
Old 02-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

I was using $2.25 + .75 for awhile and got a few 3's, so I looked at my costs and decided $1.99 + .25 would be fine. I pretty much only get 5's now except for whoever gave me those 1's and 2's
Old 02-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

I can see it very Soon COMC will have an Auction site to help get more people. If they were smart it would be seperate from the main site.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bziddy View Post
I lied -- my (4) 2's went down to (1).

I think there is a thing somewhere where one person's DSR ratings can only count once. That is to say if one person dings you 5 times on shipping, it only counts as one.

I'm working on lowering my shipping amount (and going free when I can -- adding shipping into the price of the card).

(FWIW, I had been charging $2.75 + $0.35. I'm going to go to $2.10 + $0.20 to see if that makes a difference).
thats not true. i got totally screwed when one person won literally 19 of my auctions. becasue of the Northeast snowstorms, etc a couple weeks ago the shipment came to the guy late. although he left me positive feedback on all 19 auctions (which upped my feedback by exactly ONE point), he left me a 1 or a 2 on both shipping time and shipping charges, and trust me...it counted all 19 times!! becasue of that D-Bag I lost my silver powerseller status. it is a screwed up Ebay policy, if they only let the feedback count once, why let the dsr's count EVERY time? I don't get it..
dmogull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

I charge 2.99 for shipping which I think is a fair price and What helps my dsr rating is communication I try to be as friendly to the buyer as possible. I have not been dinged on feedback but do not really care about a high dsr since I dont sell enough to get that % of fees back but if you look at it 2.99 for a card shipping

0.17 cents for bubble mailer
1.41 for paypal shipping
0.25 cents for a toploader and penny sleeve and team bag

and then I think about ink and gas as that extra dollar I understand people are upset about high shipping charge but I think 2.99 is fairly priced
boxbreaker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbreaker88 View Post
I charge 2.99 for shipping which I think is a fair price and What helps my dsr rating is communication I try to be as friendly to the buyer as possible. I have not been dinged on feedback but do not really care about a high dsr since I dont sell enough to get that % of fees back but if you look at it 2.99 for a card shipping

0.17 cents for bubble mailer
1.41 for paypal shipping
0.25 cents for a toploader and penny sleeve and team bag

and then I think about ink and gas as that extra dollar I understand people are upset about high shipping charge but I think 2.99 is fairly priced
It's not necessarily the 20% fee discount that worries me -- if you exceed 3% (I think) 1s and 2s, eBay can (and apparently will) close your account, or limit the number of auctions you can run per month.

Either one sucks for me -- cause I tend to list auctions in big batches as opposed to a little bit at a time.