Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #26 (permalink)

i will give you lots of credit, good debate, no harsh bickering and arguing back and forth. Love when you can view both sides of opinions and sit back and listen and than chime back in.

I respect your opinion and I posted earlier that people can support them, I wont.

But yes they can freeze your account and limit you from seeing anything in your account, including previous transactions and it can be a nightmare and you can do nothing wrong. High end items around holidays that are selling for much more than they are worth in retail stores seemed to raise flags. I was shipping next day air, insurance, everything.... and they treated it like a sellers scam. At the time, I too loved paypal... used to be able to pay your bills on there and send payments to almost any account you had. I too treated it like a bank account, and than everything right at Christmas just frozen... caused many problems and thats that... So i respect your decision to love it, as I too had felt the same exact way and ive been dinged, you haven't. So thats where we differ.

I think the issue with ebay is they need to have different levels maybe with businesses being treated as businesses and a personal account being treated like a novice seller. why... because ebay was created off of pez collectors, corrrect? Blowout is probably going to take care of the customer, they are a bigger business. But the avg EBAY seller in trading cards are people who are hobbyist, a gambler, etc... these people dont have the backing of a business and losing 299.00 on a sale could hurt them. But the sidejob of cards and ebay is a hobby for them. Its like a card show online. We dont want to hurt the hobby by not having these average sellers because than we may never be able to find the 1/1 card that was pulled by a 19 year old college student that posted it on ebay. I understand the scamming, etc. But paypal and ebay are deleting or losing these average customers whose cards we may want in our collection someday...
Old 02-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #27 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoesportscard View Post
the avg EBAY seller in trading cards are people who are hobbyist, a gambler, etc... these people dont have the backing of a business and losing 299.00 on a sale could hurt them. But the sidejob of cards and ebay is a hobby for them. Its like a card show online. We dont want to hurt the hobby by not having these average sellers because than we may never be able to find the 1/1 card that was pulled by a 19 year old college student that posted it on ebay. I understand the scamming, etc. But paypal and ebay are deleting or losing these average customers whose cards we may want in our collection someday...
YES! This is who I am; I do eBay to help support my hobby. There's no huge profits coming my way. But all level of sellers need to exist bcuz there are all kinds of different collectors. And eBay is trying to eliminate that

Stjoes, you da man!
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmannings#1fan View Post
Which are you talking about, can't be the bidstart.com one cause it says they don't charge for any listing!!
Right, but they still charge fees if an item sells, which would be the whole point of trying to list an item anyways. I was just initially surprised that the only ways to pay fees would be through a check or credit card, though obviously I now see that they accept Paypal also.

On the topic of Ebay, while I think many of their recent business practices have not been that great, they are still a necessary evil. I've had payments held for a little bit now, and it's incredibly frustrating. However, the amount of potential customers out on other sites pales in comparison to Ebay.

I agree that there's a big need within this particular hobby to have a solution to Ebay, but I'm not sure it's viable in the near future. There are many other industries, which are all much bigger in terms of revenue, where Ebay is, by far, the best solution still. Their policies have, and will certainly continue to, alienate certain customers, but their customer base is so big that it'd take something drastic to change their business model.

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/coltsfan23
http://www.flickr.com/photos/112087390@N03/sets/72157638871019534/
coltsfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:39 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
I know alot of people use COMC but I think it limits you in how you can sell your cards. I've seen some people complain that when buying many cards, the shipping charge doesn't justify. And the way the whole thing is setup, could you imagine 10 million people sending them cards?
COMC's fees are worse than eBay's and high end cards don't sell nearly as well on there.

flat fee to put cards on + 20% fee to cash out =
Old 02-24-2011, 01:45 AM   #30 (permalink)

Coltsfan, I agree about the customer base. eBay has a stranglehold. But if things are going to change for the better, we have to make the move now, not 2 years from now. It's going to take alot of time to build up another site as THE SITE for card collectors, but with patience and alot of work, it can be done

I refuse to just accept eBay for what it is and shrug along with the statis quo bcuz things are only going to get worse, not better

Last edited by Screamer; 03-07-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:48 AM   #31 (permalink)

What's up Fitch? Born and raised in Sac right here

flat fee to put cards on + 20% fee to cash out

That's too much. We need a site that shares the same vision that we do. THE destination for all card collectors/dealers. It can be done
Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch123 View Post
COMC's fees are worse than eBay's and high end cards don't sell nearly as well on there.

A lot less headaches, and you only have to make 1 trip to the post office per batch. its the easiest, laziest work Ive done my whole life... I just need to ship more and more and more and more...
Old 02-24-2011, 01:57 AM   #33 (permalink)

I think you can use the current ebay format, but have hobby expectations as well as business models. you create shipping rules thats fair to both seller and buyer and lay the expectations of the seller and buyer out there so they know. have some customer service and have people that have reasonable expectations. Get rid of DSR ratings.

Someone out there has to have something similar to paypal. I imagine like some type of Money order business would love to get their hands in creating secured cash drop off payment locations to money orders that would go directly to a persons account as well. i dunno... any other thoughts?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:10 AM   #34 (permalink)

I've heard of a couple similar sites like Paypal but eBay bought 'em up. That's our dilemma; 'The Machine' will always fight back

The DSR thing is what's killing it now. I can't believe eBay wants to continue down this path. They have to know it's going to push away sellers. Is that what they want? With less dealers, there will be less product, which will raise auction prices that all have included S&H in the auction price. How many people can exist selling like that?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #35 (permalink)

Screamer, have you looked into Amazon? Somebody posted in here a couple weeks ago how Amazon was slowly starting to take business from eBay and become a standard for many businesses. I've never looked into the cost but I am seeing a steady increase in sports cards being sold there.

With Amazon shipping is a mandatory 4.99 no matter what and that is controlled by them. Amazon also accepts multiple forms of payment and handles the "business" end of things for the seller. I have just never looked into fees and what the actual cost to a seller is.
auctionjmm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Jmm, first off, if I sell an item for $20 or more, I do DC it. That to me is a given. Most of my problems have been from $3-5 auctions

Now if you start adding all the fees up (eBay listing and final fees, Payal fee, USPS w/ DC, bubble, toploader, misc), you're talking about $2.25-$2.50; and the idea that you want to charge that amount and that that can eventually be your downfall? No way... We can do better than that
Well, it really sounds like you need to take your smaller items and send them off to a site like COMC, and then continue to sell a bunch of your more expensive items on ebay. There are also Buyer Requirements that you can set in "My Ebay" to restrict the types of bidders you have on your auction.
Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
My problem has always been a customer claims my package never got there. They didn't want to pay for insurance or DC, so there's no way of knowing if he's lying or not. He files a claim with Paypal and they say that I have to provide a DC or tracking number. I call them, explain the facts, and they literally tell me that no matter what I put in the auction, I have to ship with DC or insurance or else I'm liable for lost or damaged. That is not the way you do business
Actually, in my mind, that is exactly the way to do business. Taking paypal out of the equation, if I'm a retailer who takes CC and someone orders a product from me. If I don't make sure it gets there in one piece (regardless of whether or not they wanted to pay for DC/Ins/etc, if I don't get it there, they call their CC company and reverse the charge. It's really quite easy for them. Paypal makes it just one step easier for them.

Quote:
And the idea that you can only pay by Paypal? Absolutely ridiculous. eBay has complete control of every dollar that is spent on their site. That is not a free market. That is a monopoly, which last time I looked, is illegal
I do think that eBay's method of pushing people towards paypal is questionable. I'm betting that they left it open-ended enough that they couldn't be legally actionable for non-competitive business practices.

That being said, I much prefer to get Paypal payments vs. MO. It just adds more time to the transaction (that I don't want to deal with).
Old 02-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #38 (permalink)

Jmm, I'm going to look into Amazon

Stats, you may be right. It's definately something I've been looking at

bziddy, I love the ease of Paypal too but as costs continue to go up for us, Paypal fees are one of our biggest costs (damn eBay final fee is the #1 killer)
Old 02-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #39 (permalink)

Paypal is a business - with any business, they need to make money somehow, otherwise what do they gain? I think Paypal is a pretty awesome service for the price offered. You do not have to worry about the post office losing, or a check/MO being stolen or in limbo, there are no postage fees to send the money etc. It's instantaneous, and the piece of mind is extremely valuable. Many of us are spoiled by how quick and easy it is.

I think the way we use the service needs to be altered. As fees rise, people need to become more choosy about what items they are actually going to use this service for, and in turn find other means to sell items where auctions are not justified. COMC in my mind fits perfectly into this nitch for myself and has been great.

Honestly, I think people are trying to fix a leak, rather than looking for the source. The hobby has changed to become all about Ebay and selling, rather than about cards. Maybe all the high end stuff needs to be cut back in a big way and should be left for people that can just bust for fun without worrying about return. People need to stay within their means. I have significantly cut back the high end wax that I open because the thrill is just not there for me as much anymore, and I don't want to deal with all the work that goes into busting so much and needing to recoup. I find the hobby much less stressful now compared to when I was busting endlessly and trying to figure out how I am going to get back from the all of the money that I put out.

Last edited by Stats; 02-24-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #40 (permalink)

It is not necessarily true that higher end cards do not sell well on COMC. In truth they sell very well, but Ebay is usually a better option to get a quicker sale and lower fees.

The 20-25% that COMC charges for doing all the work (research, listing, promotion, website, packing, shipping, customer service, etc. etc.) is an absolute bargain. Many people get upset when their "junk" does not sell on COMC for more than 5-10% of book value when they are unsellable cards on Ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch123 View Post

Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
bziddy, I love the ease of Paypal too but as costs continue to go up for us, Paypal fees are one of our biggest costs (damn eBay final fee is the #1 killer)
Yeah, I wish we there was a good easy to use alternative. My biggest worry with PayPal is the seemingly auto-side-with-buyer horror stories that everyone faces. If eBay wants even more of my money, they'll set up an escrow service. Item and money go to escrow, then both are forwarded to appropriate place. (I'd use a service like this on high value items)

From a costs stand-point, I loved MO -- I just didn't like waiting 10-15 days to 'close' an order.

My last set of auctions -- I had all 92 items that sold paid for and mailed within 30 hours of the close of the auctions. I like that.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #42 (permalink)

Just saw this:

Using escrow services

I'll use that on any large transactions (if I run across any).

Maybe I won't -- an opportunist could still game the system. I suppose I'd talk to someone at escrow.com before using it.

Last edited by bziddy; 02-24-2011 at 12:27 PM.
bziddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #43 (permalink)

Stats, I agree with everything you say about Paypal. But bcuz it's eBay owned, I would like to find another place to do bizness. And I do agree that it has gotten crazy with the case rippers, but Topps needs to remember that over-production was not the answer to a lasting hobby

Jetson, I agree with your staement
Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bziddy View Post
Just saw this:

Using escrow services

I'll use that on any large transactions (if I run across any).
Especially for large international transactions
Old 02-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
YES! This is who I am; I do eBay to help support my hobby. There's no huge profits coming my way. But all level of sellers need to exist bcuz there are all kinds of different collectors. And eBay is trying to eliminate that

Stjoes, you da man!
I am a hobbyist like you and have done trading with you before. I appreciated your help and communication in the trade. I am concerned that E-Bay, Paypal will take the hobbyists and make it really hard to enjoy what we do. I have not realized any profits from what I do, but I still try and enjoy it. I feel E-Bay is trying to push the hobbyist out and make it harder and harder to buy/sell. Let's hope that there can be some monentum with this thread so we ALL can continue to enjoy the hobby and hopefully pass it on to our children and grandchildren. I have found a site, eCRATER - online marketplace, get a free online store which is free and does allow checks, money orders, paypal etc. Check it out and let us know what you think...
fraser_05478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser_05478 View Post
I am a hobbyist like you and have done trading with you before. I appreciated your help and communication in the trade. I am concerned that E-Bay, Paypal will take the hobbyists and make it really hard to enjoy what we do. I have not realized any profits from what I do, but I still try and enjoy it. I feel E-Bay is trying to push the hobbyist out and make it harder and harder to buy/sell. Let's hope that there can be some monentum with this thread so we ALL can continue to enjoy the hobby and hopefully pass it on to our children and grandchildren. I have found a site, eCRATER - online marketplace, get a free online store which is free and does allow checks, money orders, paypal etc. Check it out and let us know what you think...
Sounds & looks good, love the word FREE in anything plus sellers get 100% of their sales......That's a great plus in my book!!!
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
It is not necessarily true that higher end cards do not sell well on COMC. In truth they sell very well, but Ebay is usually a better option to get a quicker sale and lower fees.

The 20-25% that COMC charges for doing all the work (research, listing, promotion, website, packing, shipping, customer service, etc. etc.) is an absolute bargain. Many people get upset when their "junk" does not sell on COMC for more than 5-10% of book value when they are unsellable cards on Ebay.
I'll second this.

I've sold higher end cards on comc for more money than eBay. I also "profit" about $30-$40 a week flipping cards on there fee free.

I'd prefer if there fees were lower, but at .20 + 20% it is still a steal for what you get. (at least when you factor in your time)

I'm still a top rated powerseller on eBay , but I am using them less and less. The only thing I Prefer about eBay is the unmatched traffic and exposure, and the speed of sales.

I just sent around 3000 more cards to comc, but I'm always open to new venues.
Flip_My_Cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post

COMC is good for low-end inserts/#d/RCs that do not sell well on eBay, not for high end.

It takes me less than a few minutes to run scans and fill in the blanks for my descriptions of all my cards. I print and pack my cards in less time than it takes to list them.

COMC may seem to do a lot of work, but if you know how to do it and have a system its really quite easy and not worth the extra money in fees especially for high end cards or first week-releases that sell well on eBay. I mean 35cents per card + a 20% cash out fee? If i sell a card for $1 on there I basically am netting 45cents, If I sell a $100 Kobe auto I net $79.65, when eBay+Paypal would net me closer to $90 MEH

Last edited by fitch123; 02-24-2011 at 05:49 PM.
fitch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #49 (permalink)

I agree that COMC is the most logical, fair answer to stopping using ebay.

Jacquizz Rodgers Collector!
washingtonmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #50 (permalink)

I've had VERY good luck selling high end on COMC. I've also seen other people sell high end for prices 2-3 times what the same card would have brought on ebay. COMC will get you better prices than ebay on nearly anything, although thats not saying much in some cases considering how cheap some stuff sells for on ebay. The biggest tradeoff is time. If you need money quick or want to capitalize on a price spike that has a limited window of opportunity, then ebay will always be the best place to sell. But if you are patient and do your homework before sending in cards, COMC is the best site online to sell cards on hands down. I use a combination of ebay, sportlots, and COMC but if I was forced to only sell on one, it would be COMC no question, for the simple reason that I make more profit on COMC than the other sites. The fact that its also the easiest way to make a profit between those sites is a bonus.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote