Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ebay shipping question

Here is something I've never run into and just noticed today. Is there something that can be done with shipping if you bid on an item and the seller lives in the same town or a town over??? I saw a few cards I was interested in from a seller that lives one town over from me and his ad was for $3.00. Now I don't want to have to pay $3 for something to literally go 2 miles. And I understand handling bu an hard case and penny sleeve would be 50 cents max. So, am I allowed to email the seller and ask for a discount or something? I am still fairly new to this.

Scott
neckababy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

i would ask if he could ship it in a PWE because he lives so close, and it would get there the next day. or if you both are cool with meeting up see if he would do that.
DirtyBirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

shipping a card from 3000 miles away would cost the same as shipping it from 10 miles away...........
Old 02-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm just one seller out of thousands, but I would never ship a card in a PWE. I would much prefer to do a hand-delivery than risk what can happen to a card in a PWE.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I offer no shipping if a person wants to pick the item up. I'd email and ask.
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

driving to pick it up and back will cost you 3.00 alone in gas.. don't even worry about it

Define "irony": a bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane, to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash -Garland Greene
FavresReturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
shipping a card from 3000 miles away would cost the same as shipping it from 10 miles away...........
I understand that and I'm fine paying to ship it 3000 miles. But I don't want to pay to ship it 2 miles.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
I offer no shipping if a person wants to pick the item up. I'd email and ask.
How does it come off the invoice then? I guess that is my question. I don't want to bid and then still have to pay it since it is part of the invoice.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FavresReturn View Post
driving to pick it up and back will cost you 3.00 alone in gas.. don't even worry about it
Sorry, it does not cost $3 to drive 2 miles. Also, I drive through the town on the way to work everyday.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckababy1 View Post
How does it come off the invoice then? I guess that is my question. I don't want to bid and then still have to pay it since it is part of the invoice.
The entire shipping cost (or any potion of it) can be set to $0 in any new invoice. So the seller just needs to agree to $0 shipping, and then send a new invoice to you with the $0 shipping, then you pick it up.

However, the seller has every right to refuse.

The only proof of delivery that eBay uses is online tracking, so unless the seller can provide online proof of delivery via a tracking number (which they can't in a hand-delivered exchange) then the seller is taking a risk that you won't pick up the card and then claim you never got it. That's why some sellers may not want to do hand deliveries.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

It can be edited by the seller (invoice).

I'd do as others have suggested, contact the seller and see if they're willing to either let you pick them up or meet you for a reduced shipping fee. Caviat to that being, typically your paying in cash. This way the seller has minimal fees and your getting the item cheaper.

Dont think its been mentioned here, but I actually would prefer to ship. As a seller, for the most part it would require me adjusting my schedule, I dont have any record of shipping (mentioned above), but also if your in the same state as me, I have to charge you sales tax (which I typically eat if say its a local show), but for my documentation, I perfer to have the tracking label, but can make adjustments on my spreadsheets to state cash was taken (over say paypal), then add the sales tax into my sheet.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Alazarevich and Iluvfish,thank you both for your comments. And I totally understand the risk the seller takes in whether I pick up or not. I have no problem with paying the invoice prior to pick up or paying sales tax. I think my thing was I did not know that I could contact the seller about stuff like that. I thought EBay might think I was trying to get around paying through the system. But i guess since it is the shipping portion which they do not get a piece of, they don't care about that portion. I think it comes down to wanting to pay $3 for someone to ship something to me in the same town. Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.