Blowout Cards Forums
Midweek Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default eBay/paypal fees and selling question

Okay so during the year I picked up various cards at my LCS for $0.10 each. Seeing that a couple of them had sold on ebay for a few bucks, i put them on ebay for $0.99 with free shipping. Only one bid on each of the cards so being the newb that I am with selling on ebay I shipped them for $0.60 in a pwe out thinking I was going to make some kind of small profit after fees and such.

Then I realized that Paypal docks .30 + 2.9% on any transfer...meaning my net paypal gain was $0.66. Couple that with ebay's fee of $0.09 (9% on final value) and I'm at a loss of $0.03 (-$0.13 if you count the $0.10 from my LCS).

So my question is...how in the world can hundreds of sellers afford to sell cards at these kinds of prices:

2010 Topps Chrome #C177 DWAYNE BOWE CHIEFS SET BREAK - eBay (item 220742389646 end time Feb-26-11 18:44:35 PST)
2010 Gridiron Gear Rookie #7 ARRELIOUS BENN RC /100 - eBay (item 220741427151 end time Feb-24-11 18:19:39 PST)
Old 03-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thats why you don't sell those kinds of cards on ebay. Use COMC for small value cards if you are going to sell them.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyp View Post
Thats why you don't sell those kinds of cards on ebay. Use COMC for small value cards if you are going to sell them.
Thanks for the tip, any fees on there?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the page that explains it.

Still, how are these Ebay sellers making a profit? (besides having many people buy multiple items to save on shipping because that doesn't always happen)

Last edited by Trackster40; 03-02-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Nevermind, I found the page that explains it.
Trackster40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackster40 View Post
Thanks for the tip, any fees on there?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the page that explains it.

Still, how are these Ebay sellers making a profit? (besides having many people buy multiple items to save on shipping because that doesn't always happen)
Because they start low hoping to get enough bids to cover the shipping fees. Go look at this particular sellers completed listings and you'll see that there are alot of cards that sold at decent prices with shipping and free shipping. To make this worth your time and make money you have to put multiple listings of items at a time.

RockyMtCollector
RckyMtCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RckyMtCollector View Post
Because they start low hoping to get enough bids to cover the shipping fees. Go look at this particular sellers completed listings and you'll see that there are alot of cards that sold at decent prices with shipping and free shipping. To make this worth your time and make money you have to put multiple listings of items at a time.
Yeah I totally understand what you're saying...but there are some cards that you know will not go over $0.35...And so that barely covers the paypal fee right there resulting in no net gain..with the ebay fee they lose money. See what I'm saying?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

You actually need to charge something for shipping & should also be shipped in bubble mailer with DC# to cover you from bad buyers!!
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

these sellers gamble and hope that people buy more then one card and since it is free shipping they dont have to combine it
boxbreaker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah I totally understand what you're saying...but there are some cards that you know will not go over $0.35...And so that barely covers the paypal fee right there resulting in no net gain..with the ebay fee they lose money. See what I'm saying?
But you have to look at the big picture. If your selling all your cards for that NO you are not making money. But he is selling alot of items way over what it costs to ship so essentially he is making money. You also use the lower end stuff and free shipping to raise your DSR's and gain feedback. If you look at his auctions unless you buy over $5.00 he only ships in PWE and therefore probably getting dinged for it. By doing free shipping Ebay automatically gives you 5 stars. I personally don't buy from anyone who has a low rating or negative feedback.

RockyMtCollector
RckyMtCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmannings#1fan View Post
You actually need to charge something for shipping & should also be shipped in bubble mailer with DC# to cover you from bad buyers!!
I guess I'm confused, if the card is payed for already how do they become bad buyers? Like if they say they never got it?

*Like I said I'm a newb to selling on eBay so the comments are helpful, thanks!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RckyMtCollector View Post
But you have to look at the big picture. If your selling all your cards for that NO you are not making money. But he is selling alot of items way over what it costs to ship so essentially he is making money. You also use the lower end stuff and free shipping to raise your DSR's and gain feedback. If you look at his auctions unless you buy over $5.00 he only ships in PWE and therefore probably getting dinged for it. By doing free shipping Ebay automatically gives you 5 stars. I personally don't buy from anyone who has a low rating or negative feedback.
Great point, so it becomes more of a "padding the stats" type of thing I guess.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess I'm confused, if the card is payed for already how do they become bad buyers? Like if they say they never got it?

*Like I said I'm a newb to selling on eBay so the comments are helpful, thanks!
Well some think that 2.00-3.00 is too high for a shipping cost so they will ding the DSR rating!! Most buyers do pay right after the auction ends or the very next day. When I list a card for sale I charge 2.50-3.00 for shipping & explain in my listing what it covers as far as penny sleeve, toploader, bubble mailer & DC# so I don't get bashed by haters!!
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

u should group those types of cards into lots, charge for shipping, and offer incentives such as combined shipping discounts so ppl will load up on multiple auctions cuz they feel they are getting them cheap with the combined shipping discount. also, with auctions for cheaper cards never start them at .01, cuz it will probably take multiple bids by mutiple ppl just to break the 99ct mark, I would start them at 99cts.
dmogull is offline   Reply With Quote