Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sometimes you just have to laugh... (Long story)

Well, as many of you may, or even may not know, I have been working for some time on the 2006 NT HOF Greatness set. I have been trying to collect an autograph/GU version of each player in the set, whether it was triple, quad, triple prime or quad prime. As long as it was autographed, it counted for my set.

Anyhow, I am now down to 2 to complete my set. (Thanks to skeen for selling me his Lawrence Taylor, which is incoming...and should be here soon.) I still need Jim Kelly (which is the hardest...I've only ever seen the 1/1 sell...and there are only 2 more total left other than the 1/1) and Barry Sanders...

Well, this is where you just have to laugh at some of the crazy sellers on e-bay. A few months back, one of the Barry Sanders Quad GU/Autos /5 comes up for sale on ebay. So, I start saving up, selling stuff and what not, just to get this one card. I'd not seen one other than the 1/1, which I'm still in talks with the guy for since this seller obviously is just trying to shill, but back to the story...

So, I watch that auction and make sure I'm at home for the end to try and sniper the auction. I'd initially set a max for myself of $300, which is still VERY high even for this nice of a card, but as it grows closer, I decide to really take a nice hard stab at it and put in a bid of over 375 thinking that it would win for sure. Well, to my surprise, I was outbid. So I look back through the bidding history and low and behold, this account has bid 3 other times...30, 150, and 200...and all of a sudden he decides to jump his next bid at least $175? Not to mention at the time, this buyer had at least 80% bidding activity with this seller, if not 100%...and as of today, that account hasn't bid on anything else for at least a month.

So, I just sit around and figure it was a shill bid win and it would just be relisted on the shill account, especially once they both left feedback for one another with a simple "thanks" just like that both ways. Exactly the same no caps or puncation. So I sit and wait and wait...so finally, that card magically pops back up...but not on the shilling account, but on the same initial sellers account, but this time he wants $1000 OBO. Needless to say, I made an offer and he never even replied to a fair offer, so he's wanting way too much for this card. Figure I'll end up having to save up for the 1/1 as I doubt this guy will actually ever sell this card...and even if he does, doubt someone will ever get it in hand.

Just for reference...here is the old auction:

Barry Sanders National Treasures auto 1/5 - eBay (item 270692521246 end time Jan-20-11 13:30:47 PST)

And here is the new BIN OBO:

2006 National Treasures Barry Sanders auto 1/5 - eBay (item 270711899032 end time Mar-27-11 10:52:17 PDT)

Sometimes you just have to laugh...or else you might cry.

HOF Auto needs (277/287): www.freewebs.com/wju2004
wju2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

that sucks man! he is not going to get anywhere close to what he is asking and i think $300 is a good enough offer for him to take but thats just me. well good luck i know you have been trying your hardest and you are almost there don't lose hope!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Fight fire with fire. Have a few of us send lowball offers and refuse the counters. Then your offer would look really good.

I've contributed to the cause
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Fight fire with fire. Have a few of us send lowball offers and refuse the counters. Then your offer would look really good.

I've contributed to the cause
Contributed to the cause with a "fair" lowball offer
Old 03-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

why not, I just busted an offer in aswell!!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mine were automatically declined for $195/$200/$250... so there's 3 more he can look back on... good luck!
nabzy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
Mine were automatically declined for $195/$200/$250... so there's 3 more he can look back on... good luck!
lol .. i offered 75.. still pending
Old 03-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I made 3 low ball offers for ya as well, hopefully this turd will realize he's way out in left field
Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ill go ahead and send a lowball offer in too.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

$100 offer sent
KUHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Haha. Thanks guys. He must have turned on auto decline. I made an initial offer of 200 with no response. I would try at 250 but he must be wanting 500 or something which is close to what I can get the 1/1 for if I sell the extra card he will only sell it with. Figure I'll wait and watch for now. hope he will realize how outrageous his price really is.

HOF Auto needs (277/287): www.freewebs.com/wju2004
wju2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Should have just tried to snipe it instead.
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote