Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #26 (permalink)

FVF's will actually be the exact same; they are making the change so folks that offer free shipping are not actually penalized by doing so w/ regard to FVF's.

As for Ebay losing customers, every one lost equals 2 to 3 new accounts.
SacGWYNN19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterPattie View Post
Great. So now sellers will start to charge more for shipping to recoup more fees.

Good job, ebay....
I hardly sell any cards on Ebay anymore but In the past 30 days on Ebay I have sold about $3000 (Mostly games & Books). On top of that I was paid $974 for shipping.

With Ebay new fees I would owe 11-13 % on that $974. However they are lowering the final value fee by 1%.

11% of $974 = 107.14 New fees
1% of $3000 = 30.00 Discount

I pay an additional $77.14. Yup I am going to charge more.

What scares me is the risk of losing my 20% Top Rated Discount. I can raise prices all I want but the reality is I need to stop selling small value stuff ($1 - $3). I only sold that cheap stuff to boost my transaction count to ensure I could keep my discount.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #28 (permalink)

yea i was actually suprised when i found out that shipping costs weren't charged. maybe i add 8% to my shipping costs and let the 1's and 2 stars start pouring in!
caustexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
Especially if you use paypal shipping there is no excuse for not using it.

yeah since it's added automatically
phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #30 (permalink)

About how much does it cost to ship a basic card via paypal?
cwgross144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #31 (permalink)

I read that and I will not rise prices on shipping, because USPS has raised prices as well I will probably eat the cost.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #32 (permalink)

Missed in the original posting was the line in the fine print of the e-mail that invites sellers to a free fitting session for a brand-new pair of a$$-less chaps.
hairysasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #33 (permalink)

Part of this is the fault of the idiots that charge $200 shipping and $20 item value for a $220 item...
AndyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Missed in the original posting was the line in the fine print of the e-mail that invites sellers to a free fitting session for a brand-new pair of a$$-less chaps.

I fixed the OP so nobody get confused as to whom this email is to inform.

Dear (member we are f'n over again):
crazy8parlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay0122 View Post
They have customers to lose. Of course people will always sell on ebay, but by doing things like this, they are drawing more and more people away from using their service.
eBay does not want collectibles sellers, especially sports cards

Of customer service costs, collectibles is their second highest cost behind electronics, but the fees collected from our transactions are some of the lowest. eBay "loses" money on collectibles and that's why they want us gone. It's not a conspiracy; it's the truth. They've been trying to rid us for years and every major change they make proves over and over again that we are not wanted
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #36 (permalink)

Of customer service costs, collectibles is their second highest cost behind electronics, but the fees collected from our transactions are some of the lowest. eBay "loses" money on collectibles and that's why they want us gone. It's not a conspiracy; it's the truth. They've been trying to rid us for years and every major change they make proves over and over again that we are not wanted
Old 03-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #37 (permalink)

Old 03-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Garsh...., I hope someone else makes another thread about the ebay fees.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #39 (permalink)

I don't think ebay is any worse than card sites for selling. Most of the people that buy cards on card forums always want them for cheaper on the card sites than on ebay. Now you may say this is ok because people don't have to pay ebay fees, but this is false. People want cards for a good amount less. You still pay paypal fees when you receive a payment. And for people who say you should use gift this has no protection so that isn't a good idea. As much as ebay bites you in the butt it is still a big site which many people use every day and it will get your items a bigger audience!
Lockdown32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post

How do they lose money with collectibles?

I don't get that one
Old 03-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgross144 View Post
About how much does it cost to ship a basic card via paypal?
$1.41 with deliver conf for a basic card (1 oz - toploader with some sort of "protection" in a #000 bubble mailer), $1.58 for (2oz - if you send in a screwdown or one touch)

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbinge View Post
$1.41 with deliver conf for a basic card (1 oz - toploader with some sort of "protection" in a #000 bubble mailer), $1.58 for (2oz - if you send in a screwdown or one touch)
plus 3-4 % in paypal fees and labels or paper
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
All chaps are a$$-less. Have you ever seen a pair of a$$ed chaps? Yes, that's right, they're called regular pants.

Sorry, had to make that point.

Ayway, this part from eBay is absurd:
Quote:
Just keep your shipping costs low to get the lowest overall fees.
First, there is a floor to shipping costs and that is what it costs to pack and ship. Most ebay sellers don't hve the economies of scale to dictate their shipping costs. Maybe that's what eBay wants, they just want to be the middle man for large self-sufficient businesses that don't really need them in the first place. Careful what you wish for.

Second, the goal of the seller isn't lowest fees, it's highest return. If they want to keep shipping costs down, they should work to improve the paypal/ebay shipping options and encourage sellers to use verifiable-cost shipping methods. With this new policy, they are all but admitting that they are implementing a shipping cost tax for sellers.

Bad policies are bad enough but trying to dress them up with BS about the motivations just make them worse.
XL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
plus 3-4 % in paypal fees and labels or paper
i use regular paper and just cut the label out and tape it on.

so i guess you can add the cost of tape as well if you are going to break it down more lol...about $2.50 a roll for 3M tape.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #45 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care4Card View Post
How do they lose money with collectibles?

I don't get that one
Higher level of required customer service (disputes, returns, fraud, etc).
XL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post

With all due respect, where are you getting your information?? I'd like to see proof of this. I don't believe for one second that ebay is losing money on collectables, or that they are trying to get rid of those sellers. Every new rule I have seen seems to be made to weed out the crappy/ripoff sellers. I do believe that the customer service costs may be higher, but I'd need to see some documentation proving it. I don't agree with this new policy though, seems pretty rediculous. Sellers will just adjust pricing accordingly. They basically just raised the cost of shipping for buyers, the buyers are the ones who should be pissed.
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #47 (permalink)

ebay does this to put more money in their pocket, the lower the shipping the higher the final price = higher final value fees. i like how they encourage free shipping because thats what the "buyer wants".

remember when they eliminated the option to pay by check or money order strong arming the buyer to pay by paypal? they claimed it was all for the buyers safety...

why hasnt GOOGLE formed an auction site???
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
With this new policy, they are all but admitting that they are implementing a shipping cost tax for sellers.

Bad policies are bad enough but trying to dress them up with BS about the motivations just make them worse.
i guess you can thank all those idiots that used shipping fees to avoid paying ebay...like selling a set of wheels for $100 and charging $600 for shipping....we've all seen it.

I still don't like it and I don't think it's a very good idea....I have a bike i need to sell on there and it will have $50 shipping, which i wont make a dime off of...so guess I now the thing to do is just charge $57 shipping now to offset the fees?

I think ebay might see higher shipping fees as a result of doing this...i could see people charging more to offset the fees.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

I for one will explain my shipping charges for now on.

15% fee added to my shipping cost due to ebay adding "shipping" to the final value fees. If you don't like it, send ebay a message. They are only costing the buyer more money!
Old 03-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post

why hasnt GOOGLE formed an auction site???
apparently you haven't seen the google ads that are plastered all over ebay.

never bite the hand that feeds you.. in this case, ebay is the hand that helps feed google.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote