Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to sell on COMC

Thinking of sending in a batch and was wondering what sells best. High end, low end, game used, autos, base, etc... Also, what % off of book is a good place to start asking for. Any other help would be great. Thanks in advance!
smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

It always depends on a lot of factors. Here's my general rules, although I'm no expert and others with more experience might chime in.
  • check COMC stock before you send in a card, if you are sending in base or low end cards that already have tons of stock not selling at $0.50 or $1, then you aren't going to sell those cards at $0.50, and then is it worth sending in? Probably not.
  • Both mid and high end sell good on COMC, and you can generally do better on COMC than on eBay. The only downside I notice is the pace. It is slow. You must be patient. I do not have the patience it takes to sell on COMC. But if you do, then it's great. If you have the only stock of a particular card, or if you have the lowest ask price, then some day a collector will come along that is willing to pay 75%, even 100% of book on a high end card. But you have to wait for it. Sometimes for months.
  • When you first send in your cards, and if you price them low enough, re-sellers will make 50% offers. So if you are looking to dump for cheap (25% book maybe) then it is a good place to sell for that as well.
  • In general, higher end cards sell better than lower end cards. Also, newer cards sell better than older cards. Those rules aren't always true. Really it depends on what COMC already has in stock. But if you have the only stock of a higher end product and it is relatively new, then you will get offers right away. And then it's up to you to decide if you take the re-seller offers, or if you are willing to wait for the collectors offers that may come weeks/months down the road.
  • One thing to watch out for on COMC is this: when a player gets REALLY HOT, you have to be SUPER FAST to reprice your items. Like Blake Griffin. When he got HOT, many re-sellers on COMC just gobbled up all Griffin's cards as fast as they could, often picking up super great deals on those cards at pre-hot prices. Whereas if you had those cards at your home, you could have listed them later on eBay when the HOT CRAZINESS is at the peak. So in some sense, unless you are REALLY FAST at pricing changes, you might lose out on players that get hot.
I definitely think you should try it though. COMC is a very cool place for the hobby. It could really grow into something amazing that could blow away eBay, maybe? Another HUGE advantage to COMC (other than the higher sale prices) is the time you save. You send them a huge batch of cards, and weeks later you price them, and you are DONE! No shipping, no hassle with buyers remorse, no getting dinged on feedback ratings for doing everything right, gosh in many ways COMC is such a nicer place to sell cards than eBay.

I just wish COMC did more advertising. I think they need many more collectors on there, those that are looking to collect cards rather than just relist them at a higher price. But then maybe I just don't have the patience it takes. I admit that.

Good luck.

Last edited by alexlazarevich; 03-26-2011 at 09:19 AM.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks a lot, that gives me an idea of where to start now.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

sold about $70 my first week at 50% of high book...mostly baseball rookie autos...i only sent in 100 cards to start with and once I got some funds in my account I sent in 150 more...will keep doing so until I get my inventory built up...its pretty cool so far i like it.

This was just stuff i had from box breaks i didnt want...stuff that wa sitting around collecting dust...for that, its great to sell that sort of thing.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com

Last edited by mindbinge; 03-26-2011 at 04:58 PM.
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've sold over 30 Lincecums...Donruss Elite Extra Edition sells fast as well. Baseball sells faster then other but if you have low number high end cards they might sell all about the same. As well as find supercollecters of what you got.
BeingJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

The key word above is patience. I've sold some stuff on COMC for 50-60% of bv that NEVER would have sold on ebay for any price, just had to list your price and wait. and wait. and wait. The key is to look what is already out there and the going rate. New stuff sells very well. Vintage not as fast, but nrmt or even excellent copies do sell. A lot of vintage stuff is pretty poor condition so buyers will pay a premium for mint copies. I have no problem selling for 25% of BV on COMC, as I only send in cards I truly have no interest in keeping.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have an interesting question. The 3 months. After that you start getting charged .01 a month for storage on anything priced over a quarter. Patience is key, but when those 3 months approach what's the best course of action, lowering prices down until they reach a quarter or just leaving them where they're at. Of course I'm talking about lower-mid end stuff like inserts, numbered and junk minor league autos not stuff that would obviously get grabbed for much more than a quarter. I mean they probably both have benefits as you'll get rid of it eventually, but do you dump and try to break even quick or leave prices where they are, losing a few cents to hopefully make more in the long run. I'm thinking the latter, but looking for those who have experience.

I also have a wide range of 90s basketball and hockey inserts not on the site and don't know if they're even worth it to send in or just try to dump as a lot at the local yardsale..any insight? I already know Nascar is pure garbage and am done listing that on COMC, glad it only took me about 10 cards or 2.50 to find that out haha

Last edited by dirtydistance; 04-21-2011 at 10:08 AM.
dirtydistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

it looks like they charge .20 per card and a batch fee for processing? And they charge up to close to 17% for cash out. So i guess cards anything less than $1 wouldnt be worth the time?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

I would never send base cards, I don't see myself making money off them. When I see accounts with like 10,000 common cards it boggles my mind and makes me want to see their sale history to see if they are selling. It's a great site but like others said it's slow. Out of desperation I've sold cards for very cheap just to make money. But now I don't care too much and will just leave my inventory there, if it sells it sells, if it doesn't then I always have the option of getting the cards back in my hands.

I agree that they should do more promoting. I've had cards listed cheaper than Ebay auctions and they still didn't sell, that part got to me a bit. But you gotta take the bad with the good and in the end COMC is my favorite card website.
n1nesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

do they charge money to send card back?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

They charge shipping as if you were buying your cards back, but they have a $25 max shipping fee for cards that you sent in.