Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 03:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do I ding shipping for this?

I bought a 2008 Razor Letterman card to make a nameplate for my son. Got it today and it did not come in the standard magnetic case that the card original came with. It was shipped in a top loader. The auction says nothing about how it was going to be shipped. I was charged $3 for the shipping.

I sent a message to the seller saying I was disappointed that the description did not say that it would come in a top loader instead of the case. Now this letter doesnt match the others.

Anyways, do I ding shipping or not?
Sushiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

I wouldn't hit his shipping, it was listed at $3 so you knew about that. However if the picture showed the card in the magnetic holder I could see some frustration. This is more of a description issue not so much shipping. At worst give him a 3 on description unless his comment to your message is rude/unprofessional.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Probably still cost about $2 to ship? Give them a 4
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

He probably send it in a toploader since it weighs less and it actually is more secure for shipping. A card rattles around in a magnetic case. It may not hurt the corners but your edges can take a pounding. A card in a penny sleeve/top loader/team bag is much more secure/protected than a magnetic case IMO. Maybe he didn't realize that's how they came. Did he reply yet?

Last edited by jr24ai3; 04-01-2011 at 09:51 PM.
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
what does it matter how much it actually cost to ship? the buyer agreed to the $3.......... it was securely shipped so there shouldn't be anything less than a 5 star rating.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
what does it matter how much it actually cost to ship? the buyer agreed to the $3.......... it was securely shipped so there shouldn't be anything less than a 5 star rating.
I agree 100000%. There is actually someone out there who understands. There is no reason for a shipping charge rating when it is stated upfront. Charge me $10 and slap 88 cents on it. I don't care. As long as my card isn't damaged, you still get 5 stars. Every buyer (at least the smart ones) factor shipping into the price they bid. If you are unhappy with a sellers shipping, then don't bid. Don't hold it against them when the auction clearly states the shipping charges.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

If i pay $3 or $10 for shipping i expect a $3 or $10 service. The point of the shipping and handling charges are not if the item comes in good condition. If im bidding on an item i do factor in the shipping price and i expect the shipping price that i pay and have factored into my bid to be the service i am paying for. If i have to pay $3 for shipping i am expecting It to be mostly in a top loader in bubble mailer. If i pay $3 for shipping I'm not paying for a 44 cent stamp and the card thrown in the envelope.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think the main reason Ebay started DSRs was to try to get people to use Free Shipping. This way, Ebay would get more money from the fees. But now they decided that not enough people use free shipping, so they are taking money from your shipping charges. And technically, the only thing you can include in shipping charges is the cost of postage and supplies. Time and gas do not count. So now Ebay wants sellers who follow their guidelines 100% to take a small loss on shipping. Sorry for straying from the main topic, but Ebay doesn't make a lot of sense with some of their policies.

Last edited by jr24ai3; 04-01-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
I think the main reason Ebay started DSRs was to try to get people to use Free Shipping. This way, Ebay would get more money from the fees. But now they decided that not enough people use free shipping, so they are taking money from your shipping charges. And technically, the only thing you can include in shipping charges is the cost of postage and supplies. Time and gas do not count. So now Ebay wants sellers who follow their guidelines 100% to take a small loss on shipping. Sorry for straying from the main topic, but Ebay doesn't make a lot of sense with some of their policies.
You are spot on 100%
Old 04-02-2011, 01:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

dont bang his dsr $3 is a fair price
Old 04-02-2011, 01:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Good lord... What's your eBay ID?
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
If any seller has a nickle and dime response to eBay's nickle and dime policies, then that's their own decision lol. A bubble mailer can cost anywhere from .08 to .50 depending where you buy it. eBay will never ask for receipts on cost. If someone paid .08 for a mailer and truly only adds .08 to their s/h charge, then God Bless them. That person is honest to a fault. The majority of us know though that we gotta round everything up a few pennies and just make sure in the end we truly are not taking a loss on shipping. Gas money doesn't mean much to me because it's a write-off anyway.

Don't forget about the new tax policies for 2011!! All of this stuff is a write off anyway!! And if you're not keeping track yet, be prepared for an audit.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
Don't forget about the new tax policies for 2011!! All of this stuff is a write off anyway!! And if you're not keeping track yet, be prepared for an audit.
most sportscards sellers on ebay take in such a small amount of $, do you actually think the IRS is going to waste time & money doing audits on those sellers when the cost to the IRS would be greater than the amount of taxes that they would recover?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
If i pay $3 for shipping I'm not paying for a 44 cent stamp and the card thrown in the envelope.
second quote is understandable........... but the first quote is why blocked bidder's lists exist.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
most sportscards sellers on ebay take in such a small amount of $, do you actually think the IRS is going to waste time & money doing audits on those sellers when the cost to the IRS would be greater than the amount of taxes that they would recover?
No, not for people making $1-$5k in sales. But someone who makes $15k in sales (even if it was only $2k profit) and doesn't keep good records -- is going to pay more than taxes on their $2k profit.

Oh, and the $3 shipping. The seller (according to what I've read on eBay) can include insurance costs as well. As a seller, 100% of my packages are insured. Regardless of whether or not I hedge with insurance offered by the post office or I am taking the risk because I (and eBay agrees) am ultimately responsible for getting your item to you in one piece. So even if the item doesn't say "INSURED" -- it is. Because Paypal will refund your money in a second if there is a problem with your item. So I can include my personal insurance charges.

Selling practices policy
Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bziddy View Post
No, not for people making $1-$5k in sales. But someone who makes $15k in sales (even if it was only $2k profit) and doesn't keep good records -- is going to pay more than taxes on their $2k profit.
and most sportscard sellers do well under $15k in sales.............
Old 04-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
This is why I think DSRs are bad, so subjective. (I was at the mercy of such a subjective grading system in a previous career -- customers were asked to grade stuff on 1-7, yet I only got credit for doing my job if they gave me a 6 or 7.)

In my mind, DSRs should be 1 of 2 ratings. Acceptable, or unacceptable. With the criteria for unacceptable being "this might cause me to not want to do business with this person in the future."

If I give a good description, package it well, don't charge an exorbitant amount for shipping, and have it in the mail quickly (my personal goal is <36 hours, and I generally have it in the mail same or next day), then I have done my job as a seller.

If I am deceitful about the description, throw it in a PWE, charge you $4 to ship a $1 card or don't put it in the mail for a week -- by all means, ding me.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
and most sportscard sellers do well under $15k in sales.............
Yeah, I am just personally suprised how quickly it adds up. I'm probably not going to hit the magical $20k 1099 mark, but I'm just keeping track. But, considering my last two breaks -- I could still lose money

Anyone know (offhand) the cost of an audit to the IRS (how much does it cost them to do a standard audit)?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

I wouldn't ding him unless the listing stated you were getting the card in the magnetic case, if it didn't then you shouldn't expect it!!!
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote